Hi all,

I'm looking into a new system, and trying to figure out which is the best RAM option. I fly P3D v3.

I am a little confused about speeds, as I see most people to use 3000, 3200 or 3600Mhz ram, while there are higher speeds available. I was thinking of the 3866Mhz DDR4. 

I read that frequency is all that matters instead of latency, but I'm trying to find a realistic best solution.

Is there any best combination in regards of timing, latency, frequency that you could certainly advise? Is it better to go 3866Mhz C18 or 2133Mhz C10 for example? 

Thanks in advance!

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

NOne of those makes real world difference.. waste of money better put towards something else...

I believe that DRAM speed do make a difference when it comes to FSX or P3D. The higher the frequency number the better and the lower the latency number the better! There is a calculation you can perform to assess the difference between different modules but I don't know what it is. I bought my memory about 3 years ago. It's 2400mhz CL9-9-9-11 and that's better than your second example. I managed to overclock it to 2400mhz CL8  and there was an obvious improvement in smoothness just like the guru said there would be ;-)

Keep in mind that not all mobos can handle 3866 , most 4 slots mobos can handle 3600mhz but

Over 3733 can be difficult

Have a set 4266 G-Skill the only mobos a now asrock MOCF and Asus Impact , Hero VIII and Extreme VIII cant run the XMP but they can run thigter timings at 3600mhz then the Impact.

3600mhz c15 is kind of the DDR3 2400mhz cl9 for Haswell.

You can buy a faster set but Its not 100% that they work with the XMP, IMC on CPU or MoBo

Yes , memspeed and latency (cl) scale very godd in P3D

Thank you very much for the replies :)

I am about waiting for the Kaby Lake, but also considering options pricing and performance if I go with the Skylake and RAM is a factor I haven't searched as much.

The motherboard I was thinking theoriticaly supports up to 3866Mhz Ram: 

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6028#sp

So, my question is, is a 3866 C18 a good option or I can get same or better results with lower combinations? 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Is there any best combination in regards of timing, latency, frequency that you could certainly advise? Is it better to go 3866Mhz C18 or 2133Mhz C10 for example?

3866 C18 will be the better option there no doubt..

Remember that C18 and C10 is the timing. Latency and MHz is what maters.

Timing x 2000 / MHz = Latency in ns.

Your two examples has very similar latency. 18x2000/3866=9.3ns and 10x2000/2133=9.4ns. Lower latency is better and higher MHz is better.

Both give better FPS. I'd try to keep the latency under 10ns. The best most expensive modules will stop at about 7.5ns. When it comes to RAM pay a little bit extra for large improvements in latency and MHz. But bang for the buck goes out of the window at the higher end for very minor improvements.

Minor real life FPS improvements that is.

• Upvote 1