Sign in to follow this  
historian

Why the need for an active internet connection

I'm getting enthusiastic about buying this but I am slightly deterred by the need for an active internet connection to use the software.
The flight sim club I go along to does not have any internet availability and I would love to use this product when simming there.

I currently use FSXSE which is happy to run in offline mode.

• Upvote 1

+1

Indeed I understand the connction is required to sync and save presets and settings but we should be able to use the software offline with existing saved cameras...

• Upvote 1

too much, too soon....

Well I bit the bullet and purchased the software, and I am pleased to say I really love it.

I understand the reasoning behind the internet connectivity but it would be really useful to be able to also run in offline mode when you don't have an internet connection.

Perhaps some way of storing a copy of your presets on your own PC. Either uploading any changes when next online or understanding that changes would be discarded after shutdown.

• Upvote 1

Indeed, if there is an internet issue which still happens in many countries, then the plane won't be flyable because all view controls will be disabled within the sim....

too much, too soon....

It stinks having to be connected to the internet all the time to save presets, etc. and be exposed to internet corruption of our sim computers.  We've got enough problems keeping things running correctly as it is.  I've been very glad that I didn't need the internet except for a few authorizations until fairly recently.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Lol  makes me  laugh at  all these posts  about  being  connected to the interent  all the time, guess they don't  use  live   weather  engines  on  don't  fly online etc, wonder  how  they post online, if you don't  visit xxxx   web  sites  you got no issues  being  online.  

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Well, Pete, I'm glad I provided you with a laugh tonight.  Anyway, to answer two of your questions.....I post and browse online from a different computer and no, I don't use a live weather engine for the very reason I mentioned and never thought my need for it outweighed some of the possible hassles.  I basically consider that anytime I am connected online I am susceptible to receiving some form of trash. Even the government, large businesses, and banks get nailed and I assume they are pretty well protected and probably thought or hoped it couldn't happen to them.   Some are luckier than others.

BTW, "if you don't  visit xxxx   web  sites  you got no issues being online." made ME laugh.  You just keep thinking that.   Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

The point is that even if you prefer to use live weather you can easily fly with weather presets if you get offline for whatever reason (server, provider, hardware - it actually happens).

But if you rely on camera definitions by chaseplane you cannot easily fly without them, not least because of the changes chaseplane makes to the cfg-file.

I hope the announced offline solution will come soon within the alpha phase.

• Upvote 1

I reiterate my hopes concerning an offline presets feature for all the reasons already explained in this thread and the other which became lost in the other topics.

Maxime
TOGA projects

I do not understand for what reason no manager takes the time to express their views on our demand about this problem.

This is the 2nd post on this subject, the first I opened there over a week.

6 peoples had responded to this post in mind we are offered a second option.

I searched the forum for 1 h .... and I can not find ANY TRACE of this post.

All this is very disturbing, it is essential to talk about this problem around us on the forums to warn future users.

No response, this is not correct from the manager.

Lol  makes me  laugh at  all these posts  about  being  connected to the interent  all the time, guess they don't  use  live   weather  engines  on  don't  fly online etc, wonder  how  they post online, if you don't  visit xxxx   web  sites  you got no issues  being  online.  

What you fail to realize that we basically become totally dependant on the Internet if this trend continues. If you actually can't connect to the internet because of a sabotage, provider issues or natural disasters, what will you do then?

All this is very disturbing, it is essential to talk about this problem around us on the forums to warn future users.

If it is that important to you, why did you buy ChasePlane - the need for an active internet connection has been known from the beginning and is clearly stated on the product page.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Here

http://www.avsim.com/topic/497232-chase-plane-now-available/page-3

the developer stated that there will be an offline solution (9. in post 32):

"We plan on having an offline solution so you wouldn't be left empty-handed in rare occasions where your computer would go offline."

I assume this assertion stands.

It's just a question of where this is on their list.

Btw. I am waiting for the delivery of a new modem after my previous modem broke last Thursday. No chaseplane for me since then...

My friends,

Computer security was brought up, and there is never, not ever a wrong place to drop in a line or two about this subject.  Actually, I know a little about computer security. In fact, since I've been flying shared cockpit (which requires one to connect their PC to another one), and my likely being one of the most security conscience people in flight sim, we had to develop a security policy for the members (tight knit group) whom fly shared cockpit together.

We've been completely devoted to very high levels of immersion of realism for well over 10 years, and of course this usually means using live weather.  I realize that we have no idea what the security is of the servers which provide the weather (or weather interpolation, depending on what weather engine you use), but given the level of security and scans that we maintain it's an acceptable, it not mitigating risk.

Since implementing our security policy, not one member has had anything more than a tracking cookie found on their computer, and no malware.

It's absolutely true that your security is far better if you don't connect your computer to the Internet, however most people don't have two computers, and even those (like me) how have multiple computers we just prefer to be able to update various software by being connected to the Internet. 

You'll find the security guide (and the best reasons why EVERYONE who connects to the Internet should follow it) in the OVPA Shareed Cockpit Setup Guide, located on the OVPA Website or here on AVSIM in the Shared Cockpit Forum.

Oh... my credentials... computer engineer (high end mainframes to PCs) with extensive network / network management experience, with a large dose of technical program management.  Doesn't make me an expert in computer security, so while I was working at the Department of Defense I had our DoD Network Security Guy review our security policy - we thumbs up all the way for standard home networked PCs.

Finally, for the past 12 years I have done a large amount of tech support for FSX - often remotely. I have been shocked to find that the majority of people I've come across in flight sim have absolutely no computer security whatsoever. Over the past year or so we've seen multiple Shared Cockpit Pop Up Groups come into existence, and they regularly use the a method of connecting that is none to be a security risk, and they are not at all concerned about computer security - despite our guide at least being downloaded thousands of times. Boggles the mind!

Food for thought.

Best wishes to you all!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.