Sign in to follow this  
historian

Why the need for an active internet connection

23 minutes ago, markdf said:

I'm saying exactly what I said, most recently the servers were down today in fact, but I'm sure you're capable of reading through the forum so I won't summarise everybody's complaints here since just a quick flick through the topic listings can answer that.

It fails any time anything along the route between the end user and the server fails, whether that's because of their servers, the ISP or anything in between.

i  gather  that   but   since  iam  probably  in a different  time  zone  havn't  noticed   any issues  at  all.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just now, pete_auau said:

i  gather  that   but   since  iam  probably  in a different  time  zone  havn't  noticed   any issues  at  all.

That may be, but your not noticing doesn't make it any stranger that other people have had issues or make those issues any less relevant or important. In fact, just flicking through myself has shown a few more server failures than I was initially aware of.

• Upvote 1

Mark Fox

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I agree with you 100%.  Here we all are again held hostage by Keven, I mean literally, Keven now has complete control over our sims.  

Jack,

You're make jest correct?

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

2 minutes ago, airernie said:

Jack,

Ernie

If Chaseplane failing causes his sim to fail to start, then no. The end user should not have to play a game of "swap the config files" because of a single program's failure to have any form of graceful error handling when the servers go down.

• Upvote 1

Mark Fox

3 minutes ago, airernie said:

Jack,

Ernie

Jest?  Not at all sir.  What part of held hostage did you not understand kind sir?  I mean with his servers down HE now controls my sim, NOT me.

In order to fly MY sim I have to either wait or uninstall.

So how does he NOT hold my sim hostage?

I don't think you understand the order of magnitude that this infuriates me.  I should have a say in who controls my PC and sim, not someone who's only claim to my sim is $40.

• Upvote 2

Jack Sawyer

2 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

So how does he NOT hold my sim hostage?

I don't understand this statement, ChasePlane is an exe that you launch before or after running P3D.  It's not an entry in the EXE.XML or DLL.XML or Add-On.cfg so it can't possibly stop P3D from running?  It uses SimConnect and makes modifications to camera.cfg and aircraft camera definitions ... none of this stops the simulator from working.

I had NO connection issues or crashes yesterday or today.  As a test I unplugged my network cable and that didn't stop P3D from starting or working ... there are other products that will phone home including the base sim, but none of them stopped P3D from loading.  CP doesn't work when I unplug the cable and comes back with a Stopped Responding, but that has no impact on starting my sim.

Perhaps something else that requires a network connection is stopping your sim from starting, but I can assure you it's not CP.

Cheers, Rob.

Provide the steps you use to launch P3D and post a screenshot of the P3D error message and post the contents of your EXE.XML and DLL.XML (both sets) and I'll see if I can help you out.

I just tested no network connectivity, a few other products do bark, but CP isn't being loaded unless you're using some non-standard way of launching P3D?

Cheers, Rob.

Will do Rob but what is the path for these files?

Also, it'll be later today or tomorrow as I have a ton of real world stuff to do.

Jack Sawyer

You can find that info in my P3D Guide here: 

Pages 62-69 is the relevant section.

Cheers, Rob.

In the coming months, we will gradually relieve ChasePlane from its server dependencies. While ChasePlane will require a server connection from time to time to sync the user's data, you will be able to use it while disconnected from the Internet or when our servers become unavailable. We do not have a time estimate for the release of those changes but we assure you it's going to be made available gradually before the v1.0 release.

https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2017/08/17/server-outage-aug-17-2017/

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

14 minutes ago, markdf said:

Am I correct in understanding from that, that the plan for offline access has been moved to pre-1.0 then?

That is correct

• Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Just now, Keven Menard said:

That is correct

Thanks for the confirmation.  Unrelated, but as someone who just lost their weekend to fixing an unexpected server failure I sincerely hope your one doesn't give you any more hassle

• Upvote 1

Mark Fox

On 18/08/2017 at 8:55 AM, Keven Menard said:

In the coming months, we will gradually relieve ChasePlane from its server dependencies. While ChasePlane will require a server connection from time to time to sync the user's data, you will be able to use it while disconnected from the Internet or when our servers become unavailable. We do not have a time estimate for the release of those changes but we assure you it's going to be made available gradually before the v1.0 release.

https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2017/08/17/server-outage-aug-17-2017/

+1 for this good news.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server