Sign in to follow this  
jkeye

If you fly in VR consider moving to X-plane

I never thought this would happen but I've gone and bought x-plame and am loving the way it works in vr now.

64 bit and its inherent stability make this my preferred sim now.

No constant tweaking of settings and fewer random CTDs at the end of long flights,sloped runways,fantastic flight dynamics-and a new version with payware quality default aircraft coming soon.

Sure,some scenery is basic but in VR you're having to cut details anyway-you can run details at max if you've got the rig for it.

ATC is a letdown but I've got radar contact working and it's great!

Jay

While you may feel you have a valid point to make, this forum isn't the place to make it....the X-Plane forum is.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

While you may feel you have a valid point to make, this forum isn't the place to make it....the X-Plane forum is.

You sure? His message was not directed to already X-plane users who already know how it looks. It's like you wrote "consider giving up eating meat " in a vegan forum. Likely they don't need this kind of advice :)

Hi Jay. how come you have tried vr with X plane?. As far as I know Flyinside hasnt started the beta selection. 

The OP's suggestions are not constructive, but it has prompted me to say something about the present state of VR technology.  I just read an extensive set of comments on reddit regarding the PS4 VR entry, which is easily the best of a weak field. I was all ready to shell out the big bucks for the PSVR, but the review stopped me cold.

The gist of the comments was that VR is a great step forward if you are used to modest quality graphics on a flat screen monitor at 1080p. If you've been using anything higher in resolution, especially a 4K TV,  the present VR technology will look like VGA, albeit a realistic 3D VGA. Even Sony has admitted that the upcoming PS4 Pro will be needed to really make VR shine. Considering that we have people here complaining about AI aircraft models, clouds, trees and buildings that don't look exactly like real life, I have a feeling that most of them would not think too highly of a VR headset. Give it another year, the prices will stay the same, but the resolution of the headsets will go up.

And BTW, every improvement that I've seen so far that is supposedly incorporated into XP11 are things that were done just to catch up to P3d. No thanks, I'll wait this version out for a bit and see what the DTG Flight Simulator looks like and also keep hoping that LM comes to their senses regarding 64 bit.

The OP's suggestions are not constructive, but it has prompted me to say something about the present state of VR technology.  I just read an extensive set of comments on reddit regarding the PS4 VR entry, which is easily the best of a weak field. I was all ready to shell out the big bucks for the PSVR, but the review stopped me cold.

The gist of the comments was that VR is a great step forward if you are used to modest quality graphics on a flat screen monitor at 1080p. If you've been using anything higher in resolution, especially a 4K TV,  the present VR technology will look like VGA, albeit a realistic 3D VGA. Even Sony has admitted that the upcoming PS4 Pro will be needed to really make VR shine. Considering that we have people here complaining about AI aircraft models, clouds, trees and buildings that don't look exactly like real life, I have a feeling that most of them would not think too highly of a VR headset. Give it another year, the prices will stay the same, but the resolution of the headsets will go up.

And BTW, every improvement that I've seen so far that is supposedly incorporated into XP11 are things that were done just to catch up to P3d. No thanks, I'll wait this version out for a bit and see what the DTG Flight Simulator looks like and also keep hoping that LM comes to their senses regarding 64 bit.

Sorry, but the experience of actually using the VR headset with the sim trumps everything you said...

The sensation is amazing..

• Upvote 4

Sorry I have used it, but not with a flight sim. It's great for developers, but for the vast majority of users, the present headsets will be on Craigslist within a year.

I am willing to believe that the full 3D experience will be worth downgrading the graphics detail I'm currently enjoying on a 1920x1200 monitor (not 4K). 

However, I'm still going to wait for the next generation of hardware in both my computer rig and the headsets. I've done pretty well over the years by waiting to buy one step behind the current state of the art, instead of right at the leading edge. This seems like one of those situations. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hi Jay. how come you have tried vr with X plane?. As far as I know Flyinside hasnt started the beta selection. 

Hi Melchor

Flyinside HAS started beta testing for X-plane.

Have a look at this post http://www.mudspike.com/flyinside-x-plane-10/ which says it all really

Jay

I am willing to believe that the full 3D experience will be worth downgrading the graphics detail I'm currently enjoying on a 1920x1200 monitor (not 4K). 

However, I'm still going to wait for the next generation of hardware in both my computer rig and the headsets. I've done pretty well over the years by waiting to buy one step behind the current state of the art, instead of right at the leading edge. This seems like one of those situations. 

Hi Paraffin

The experience right now is pretty good even for first adopters.

You are the best judge of your own circumastances obviously,but I felt the same way initially.

I'm glad I'm not depriving myself of a year or two of fantastic VR simming.

I'd never go back to a flat screen now.

Jay

keep hoping that LM comes to their senses regarding 64 bit

64bit ain't gonna do much but open a can of worms. I can foresee (if P3D ever goes 64) users cramming anything and everything they have only to find out  performance isn't what they expected.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Heh, moved to the XP forums, after the responses from whatever forum it was originally posted in are made to the original posters er.... original post. Which will stir the pot and surely cause impassioned answers now from the XP regulars. :smile:

Regarding VR (and ignoring all opinions about what sim platform may be best suited for it) I will say that I am excited about where VR is going, but not about where it currently is.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Sorry I have used it, but not with a flight sim. It's great for developers, but for the vast majority of users, the present headsets will be on Craigslist within a year.

Of course they will early adopters always move like that to get the next one down the line. On the contrary, it's the mass comsumer that is more amazed by it than the much fewer in numbers "picky" users...

And still that says nothing against the experience being amazing...

• Upvote 1

64bit ain't gonna do much but open a can of worms. I can foresee (if P3D ever goes 64) users cramming anything and everything they have only to find out  performance isn't what they expected.

It doesn't necessarily have to be like that.

X-Plane moved almost seamlessly from 32-bit to 64-bit, with only recompiled plugins needed for aircraft that used them. As I understand it, the extra address space in the main sim is used primarily for scenery pre-loading and a few other graphics operations. It's now used by add-on developers to offer things that would otherwise bog down the frame rate, like higher-res cockpit and aircraft skin textures, and deep systems modeling. For example the way the PMDG DC-6 models the circuit breaker panel (and won't be able to, in the FSX/P3D version).

There is no way to cram too much stuff into that address space at present, as long as you have sufficient RAM. The ultra-high-def terrain meshes are the only ones I know of right now, that have a heavy RAM requirement. But if you have the memory (32 gigs) it doesn't bog down the sim. And in 64-bit X-Plane we can enjoy things like pre-loading of scenery waaaaay out into the far distance, so there is never any pause or pop-in.

RAM is cheap now. I have 32 gigs in my current rig, and can easily go to 64 gigs if some future X-Plane product requires it. But the only way to access that is a 64-bit flight sim, so these advantages will never be available on P3D until LM upgrades the code. Meanwhile, we'll see soon enough what DTG is able to do with FSX code and the far larger address space in their upcoming sim.

I have been enjoying flight simulation on various platforms for over 20 yrs.I received my Oculas Rift in July of this year and I'm totally hooked on VR.For me there's no substitution for the incredible immersion the 3D World offers,It's beyond description. 

• Upvote 1

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Hi Paraffin

The experience right now is pretty good even for first adopters.

You are the best judge of your own circumastances obviously,but I felt the same way initially.

I'm glad I'm not depriving myself of a year or two of fantastic VR simming.

I'd never go back to a flat screen now.

Jay

Yeah, in spite of what I said above, I might break down and get a Rift, or the Steam thing. My current rig is the minimum requirement (GTX 970, fast CPU and lots 'o RAM).

Actually, the more I think about it, it's the other applications where I might use VR that are holding me back. Most of my X-Plane flying is in the FSEconomy game, where it's point-to-point with an hours-long cruise phase where VR wouldn't be useful.

I wish I liked Elite Dangerous (space sim) better. Or if there was a VR-enabled combat sim that was drawing me in right now. That's probably what will kick me over the threshold, not so much X-Plane.