Sign in to follow this  
fsx2016

FSX SE Steam wants to re-install

Steam edition has worked "just fine" - at least no game issues in general. Today after launching FSX icon as usual Steam client wants to start install procedure again. Well, I have modified sceneries too much I would like to reset the game. I can start the game by executing fsx.exe just fine but then I need manually to launch steam agent before that. This must be a generic issue - I just didn't find right search phrases to find an answer.

Axel.

Steam edition has worked "just fine" - at least no game issues in general. Today after launching FSX icon as usual Steam client wants to start install procedure again. Well, I have modified sceneries too much I would like to reset the game. I can start the game by executing fsx.exe just fine but then I need manually to launch steam agent before that. This must be a generic issue - I just didn't find right search phrases to find an answer.

Hi, Axel,

Is it saying it wants to reinstall FSX or is it saying it wants to update Steam?  Steam updates happen all the time and (so far) haven't messed with FSX.  If it actually wants to reinstall FSX that's another story.

You can start FSX offline, which will prevent Steam from doing any updates.  Make sure  you are offline -- the Steam opening window should give you the option to start offlline.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks. Steam client wants to reinstall the whole game. When trying offline mode it says: "This game is not ready to be playned in Offline mode". But as I wrote, when executing fsx.exe everything runs nice and smoothly. Steam client has forgotten that the game is already installed.

Axel.

Thanks. Steam client wants to reinstall the whole game. When trying offline mode it says: "This game is not ready to be playned in Offline mode". But as I wrote, when executing fsx.exe everything runs nice and smoothly. Steam client has forgotten that the game is already installed.

Hi Axel,

You might do better to post on the FSX forum on Steam.  It sounds like the Steam program has indeed lost track of your FSX.  I'm surprised you can start FSX without Steam's window coming up with the same message.

I haven't kept track of versions, but you might want to check if you have the most recent one.  If you need to update, you can back up all your scenery folders and files, and the scenery.cfg file.  That file is typically located in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

The folder name will just be "FSX" if you don't have a dual Box & Steam installation.

There are a couple of other copies of scenery.cfg in FSX, but that's the one you want.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Axel.

Axel, not sure if it's related but when I started Steam the other day it started a large FSX download which I assumed was some sort of update. Whatever it was took some time to download but doesn't appear to have affected any of my add-ons or my setup.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks vortex. I have modified some OOB textures and CFG parameters. I don't want to run install because it probably resets some of my adaptions and I need to track manually where those changes are reverted back and where are not. But good to know someone else has the same issue. I'm pretty sure it is not an update. I wish there will be updates in the future tho.

Starting simulator separately by executing fsx.exe is not a big deal anyway. But if someone has a solution, I am appreciated to hear about it. ( I have spent more time in tweaking than flying so now I try to concentrate on the flying part :-) )

Axel.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello,

Thanks. I have. There is no solution. The easiest way is probably rename old folders/files first, then reinstall, then move old files back. Since everything is working apart from executing the default icon I'm fine. However if there's a simpler solution I would try that.

Axel.

Hello there Fsx2016 I know this is 4 years late and with all the stuff going on in the world it’s hard and I wish the best for you and your family, did you ever find a solution to this I’m have the exact same problem I may just need to re install and single handedly add them again which took forever but may be the only options ? - Edan