Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Ram installed but won't boot into Win with XMP

So I got the RAM I wrote about in the other thread...  

For reference it is this ram:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-pro-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr3-dram-2133mhz-c11-memory-kit-cmy16gx3m2a2133c11r

My last RAM was corsair vengeance as well, but it was 2x 4 GB 1866mhz.  With that RAM I was able to run XMP Profile1 in my bios, and the bios set the correct spd of 1866.  When I set XMP profile1 with this new RAM it sets it to 2000 mhz (the correct speed is 2133).  The mobo manual says 2133 works.  Anyway if I set Profile1 it WILL POST, but not boot into Win.  My CPU multi is 40x as its always been (a very mild OC - it's never worked much higher).  Anyway, what I am able to do is set 1866 manually and it boots fine and all is normal.  

So, is the 2133 mhz just a rated speed at stock CPU timings?  Or is my board not really able to support 2133 mhz (even though it says?).  Or could something else be wrong?

P.S my board is this:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759#ov

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Been a while since dealing with this myself with a gigabyte board hence my switch to asus but I think its the bios itself always found gigabyte bios wonky and hard to deal with - just never does what it is suppose to do - no help sorry but thats why I gave up on them - I think tech support told me even though it was saying 2000mhz it was really the expected speed such as 2133 you mention - done with that will never buy a gigabyte again

If I remember correctly you could do it manually to force it and not use xmp1 - but not sure - that is what I would try

You want to figure it out - here is where you will find your answer my go to site for such problems - amazing help here - highly recommended

http://www.overclock.net/f/

Rich Sennett

Yeah so far it seems to work at 1866 - I'll try 2133 manual set later on, I've got to work the mid tonite ick!

My next board will be Asus as well.  I started DIY builds on ASUS then left - someday I'll get back!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah so far it seems to work at 1866 - I'll try 2133 manual set later on, I've got to work the mid tonite ick!

My next board will be Asus as well.  I started DIY builds on ASUS then left - someday I'll get back!

Good luck but def go to that forum - amazing - learned a ton there and from Rob on my custom pc build

Rich Sennett

Yes I went there and searched ram running at 2000 mhz.  Seems it's common on sandy bridge to be stuck at 1866.  They say you can lower your BLCK but I really don't think 1866 vs 2133 is going to matter on my "ancient" SB system.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Yes I went there and searched ram running at 2000 mhz.  Seems it's common on sandy bridge to be stuck at 1866.  They say you can lower your BLCK but I really don't think 1866 vs 2133 is going to matter on my "ancient" SB system.

Exactly - thats what I did gave up on it as I think it was not worth the bang for the buck anyway - I think I got it to work somehow but pc did not run correctly so I left it alone - on ASUS you just set XMP1 and it works - very nice

Rich Sennett

XMP1 did work with my other vengeance - the 1866 mhz stuff.  But it was only 8GB.  I upgraded to 16 so BF1 plays smoother - and now it does.  It doesn't really help anything else - maybe XP10, but that's about it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Anyway if I set Profile1 it WILL POST,

What about Profile 2?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Not available

Anywho- I found the same model ram I bought on 2011, in 2x8 GB format - off Amazon

I'll return the stuff I have and use that - hopefully xmp1 will work on that stuff

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I've looked into flashing it to the latest but after reading that people with the newest bios are still having issues I decided against it

I'm not sure of the risk these days to flashing to a newer bios either - it's my only real PC and CMOS reset doesn't seem to work right anymore.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So many issues, including overclocking issues, [and of course the XMP profile is a form of overclocking] are addressed with BIOS updates. If you spoke to your motherboard manufacturer the first thing they would say to you is "have you installed the latest bios".

Years ago flashing the BIOS was more risky, these days it's a relatively safe practice.

The first thing I would do in your place is install the latest BIOS. I would also set the BIOS to optimised defaults, no overclocking, no XMP profile. Then run a stress test, RealBench for example, to  ensure that I had a stable system at stock frequencies.

As memory controllers are not all created equally, I would decide what was the priority for me, memory frequency or CPU frequency. If it's the memory, then I would set the XMP profile "only" and test. If it's stable overclock the CPU and see how high I could go.

If the priority is CPU frequency, I would overclock the CPU with stock memory frequency and timings, just the JADEC settings. Once the CPU is stable, I would see if the XMP profile works, if not  I would work up from the stock memory frequency and timings.

I'm not an expert, but that would be my approach. 

• Upvote 1

When I originally purchase it was up to date and those were my methods.

The only difference between now and then is adding the ram

But I will attempt it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

2133 shall work but the 2500k have normaly a weaker memcontroller than a 2700k

Think Its no problem with the gigaboard if a remember right a have run 2300mhz on a gigabyte board with a 2700k 2133 set in bios and bclk 110, the higest bclk on that board with the 2700k was 116 2475mhz on mems.

Your motherboard uses the P67 chipset, which was brought out to support the Sandybridge cpu.  Early versions of this chipset had some issues and were updated by intel. 
Although it supports up to 32Gb memory and up to 2133 speed, it won't necessarily do both at the same time. This would also apply to using16 Gb memory, which was not very common practice at the time this chipset was produced.

Various posts at the time indicated that the sweet spot for the best memory speed was 1866. This applied whatever brand of motherboard was being used.

Regarding the overclock capability of your cpu, it's worth a look at this TechPowerup review of your motherboard -  https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/P67A-UD4/

Note that it required higher than expected cpu voltage, but was then able to achieve a good overclock. This was a feature of the motherboard, not the cpu they were using.

John B