Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Ram installed but won't boot into Win with XMP

Sure ok thanks

I did get the bios flashed to the latest.

I have reset my bios settings, and then changed them back to what I had before the new ram (except left the ram spd at 1333).  It passed the test on ROG software but I'm concerned my temps are a bit high.  around 80C for all cores...  I think it just may be my cooler showing its age.  Under load when I first had it OCed temps were only low 70's.

I will bring the RAM up by 1 notch at a time to 2133 (but I'm pretty sure it won't post).  I was reading the corsair site about the specific RAM I bought.  It says compatible with 3rd and 4th gen Intel CPU.  If I recall mine is 2nd gen...  so really this RAM might not be compatible, esepcially at the high speed.

One question though.  When the manufacturer lists the SPD Speed as 1333, but then says SPD rating 2133 MHz, why do they write it that way?  I thought SPD was just what it's rated at.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sure ok thanks

I did get the bios flashed to the latest.

Ooops forgot about that - you nailed it Ryan 

Honestly you wont see much of a difference anyway and if you bought ram thinking it would you would be dissapointed - long story short you need a newer motherboard and cpu to go along with that ram

====================================================================

Here is the answer in a nut shell:

The CPU can only access the memory at the speed it was designed to do so at. The memory can only be access as quickly as it was designed. If you use faster memory then the CPU supoprts the speed is limited by the CPU. You gain nothing by putting memory faster then can be supported by the motherboard, infact, past a certain point the memory might not even result in a POST

And here:

The RAM will be downclocked to match the FSB/Memory controller speeds. In this case that’d be 1600Mhz. So buying the faster rated memory is a waste of money unless you plan to change the CPU soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Yeah I've gathered that as well

Good thing is I have Prime so I've already got the new "old" RAM coming tomorrow - it will save me 35 bucks when I return the 2133 mhz stuff

Hopefully it will work being 16 GB and all

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah I've gathered that as well

Good thing is I have Prime so I've already got the new "old" RAM coming tomorrow - it will save me 35 bucks when I return the 2133 mhz stuff

Hopefully it will work being 16 GB and all

Yes that sounds like a plan until you can upgrade mb - ram & cpu - only way to do it right  :wink:

Rich Sennett

You will find plenty of people running faster RAM with the 2500K than 1600 if you do a google search. If your MB manafacturer says you can (and they do) then its possible. As I said though, not all memory controllers are created equally. The silicone lottery is at work here too. I do agree with Richard though, it won't blow your mind.

Your issue could well be related to filling all 4 memory slots, which often compromises max CPU and memory overclocking.

Two 4GB or two 8GB sticks could well result in higher CPU and/or RAM overclocking than attempting to fill all 4 slots.

Even now, with my Skylake rig I fill two slots as a priority over 4.

The bottom line is that anything over the stock frequency and JEDEC timings is overclocking and thus subject to the silicone lottery.

In my 3770K rig that my son now has, I can run a higher CPU overclock but at lower than the Corsair Dominator RAM is rated at. Or the XMP profile but a lower CPU overclock. Very tricky if I try to do both.

My Skylake rig on the other hand runs at a high overclock plus the XMP setting for the RAM. The silicone lottery doesn't just apply to CPU's.

You will find plenty of people running faster RAM with the 2500K than 1600 if you do a google search. If your MB manafacturer says you can (and they do) then its possible. As I said though, not all memory controllers are created equally. The silicone lottery is at work here too. I do agree 

Well said  :wink:

Rich Sennett

I got the older vengeance from Amazon today

Profile1 is stable but it's running them at 1600 instead of 1866. So maybe I'll play around or maybe I'll just be content hehe.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So here's another update.

Got the new corsair 2x8 GB sticks.  XMP1 works again but it only sets 1600 mhz.  With what I've learned that just fine.

However, and I swear my wife brought this up, but she thought it would be better if I just return the RAM and we'll budget for a new PC Q1 of 2017!  Woooo!  That sounds like a good idea to me!

It likely won't be a new new PC, but at least new mobo, ram and cpu.

oh, and the heating issue.  Friend came over yesterday because he had some AS5 left over (mine's all bad) and we repplied thermal paste.  Helped enough to make a difference.  Temps are still a bit warm when I use Battlefield but that's ok I think.  I'm guessing the system/cooler/whatever is just showing its age.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So here's another update.

Got the new corsair 2x8 GB sticks.  XMP1 works again but it only sets 1600 mhz.  With what I've learned that just fine.

Yupper sounds like a new build will be a nicer choice - smart wife  :wink:  ASUS this time  :wink:

Rich Sennett