Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

Study sim +

you could just save the flight at the last destination flown to and continue on from that airport/gate next time

That's a good idea and nice workaround. I'm a human being, and thus make mistakes, so I may even find something.

What I am still missing from PMDG is to have truly random failures (that you don't plan at all by using the events per ten hours option), this would make flying all the more exciting.

That's a good idea and nice workaround. I'm a human being, and thus make mistakes, so I may even find something.

What I am still missing from PMDG is to have truly random failures (that you don't plan at all by using the events per ten hours option), this would make flying all the more exciting.

i kinda wanted that too, random out of the blue failures, but my limited understanding is that it is rare to have such stuff happen in real life,but hey we are in a SIM ,so ya its a good feature to have !

• Upvote 1

Gents,

The concept of persistence has existed in our products since the release of the 747-400 Queen of the Skies for FS9 back in 2005...

Flying the line, it is exceedingly rare to find something "out of position" during the course of normal operations.  About the only time I ever recall finding something not in the anticipated position was picking an airplane up from a D check.

If, in the course of normal line flying, you found a switch out of position- it was normally accompanied by a "deferred item" decal and a logbook entry to explain why the item was non-functional or intentionally out of position.

All of that being said- we have have something coming that will take the entire concept much much further down the road.

Robert,

i wouldnt exactly say its rare for a switch to be oit of position. Like you said, after MX inspections are usually the time when things are out of position. However, due to human error and laziness, usually due to someone rushing off and trying to catch a commute home. I have gotten airplanes that you could easily tell that checklists were not done or were done super quickly and therefor swotches were not in the position they are supposed to be in. Granted, this only happens maybe 10% of the time, but it does happen. Which is, as you know, why there are safety checks.

As some said, it does get pretty mundane seeing every switch in its correct position 100% of the time. That in itself isnt that realistic.

Having said that, im really interested to see what PMDG has up its sleeves to make this pre flight stuff more interesting and more realistic.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

you could just save the flight at the last destination flown to and continue on from that airport/gate next time ! only caveat is you will start at the last landed airport/gate :D ,you can then move the aircraft after that to your desired starting point.

Caution with this... I've found that over time the panel corrupts itself and you'll start to lose click spots. 

Gents,

The concept of persistence has existed in our products since the release of the 747-400 Queen of the Skies for FS9 back in 2005...

Flying the line, it is exceedingly rare to find something "out of position" during the course of normal operations.  About the only time I ever recall finding something not in the anticipated position was picking an airplane up from a D check.

If, in the course of normal line flying, you found a switch out of position- it was normally accompanied by a "deferred item" decal and a logbook entry to explain why the item was non-functional or intentionally out of position.

All of that being said- we have have something coming that will take the entire concept much much further down the road.

Fair enough, but of course, this being a simulation, and not the real thing, occasionally we users like to introduce unrealistic challenges purely for the fun of it.  In any case, I would imagin part of the reason such mistakes rarely happen is that in modern aircraft there are so few switches to begin with.  Now if PMDG were to make a 742 (boy that wouldn't that be fun), then we would have something to talk about.  Surely in an old analog 3-man flight deck like that such anomalies must have occurred a tad more frequently.

Andrew Jones

Caution with this... I've found that over time the panel corrupts itself and you'll start to lose click spots. 

sheesh ! i am trying this method (saving flts) with fslabs a320 as well and after a few saves , the anomalies begin ..

Didn't the Greek Helios 737 crash because the maintenance crews left the air packs off and eventually everyone passed out - including the flight crew? 

• Upvote 1

Paul Gugliotta

Didn't the Greek Helios 737 crash because the maintenance crews left the air packs off and eventually everyone passed out - including the flight crew?

IIRC the aircraft had suffered a pressurisation issue on the previous sector and the engineers left the switch in the manual position, rather than return it to 'AUTO' after their work was complete.

The crew failed to notice the switch position during the preflight and then misidentified the altitude warning horn for the takeoff configuration horn (!) once climbing through FL180. A maintenance controller warned the crew over the radio to check the pack selector, but by this time the crew were already hypoxic and made no attempt to change the switch position.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Well, randomeness isn't really the way to go but I really like the idea. A2A, for example, have the option for persistent aircraft states, which means that the aircraft, including all switches, fuid levels, possible failures etc. is in the same state as you left it the flight before and closed the sim. If you forget to do the proper shutdown procedure, and checklist, for instance, it'll still be in the same state that you left it in. 

Having that in mind maybe PMDG could realize such a system...unless simply saving the panel state before you leave the aircraft does the trick...but who has time for that anyway... :rolleyes:

This can already be done in the NGX and 777. There is a saved panel state called "Previous Flight.fxml" that automatically saves the panel state as you leave it when you shut down FSX/P3D. If you set this to default panel state in the FMC setup menu, it will load the aircraft the way you left it behind on your last flight ;).

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

This can already be done in the NGX and 777. There is a saved panel state called "Previous Flight.fxml" that automatically saves the panel state as you leave it when you shut down FSX/P3D. If you set this to default, it will load the aircraft the way you left it behind on your last flight ;).

I'm pretty sure that's a part of FSUIPC autosave which subsequently saves a panel state. 

I'm pretty sure that's a part of FSUIPC autosave which subsequently saves a panel state. 

I have panel state saving turned off in FSUIPC...

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

This can already be done in the NGX and 777. There is a saved panel state called "Previous Flight.fxml" that automatically saves the panel state as you leave it when you shut down FSX/P3D. If you set this to default panel state in the FMC setup menu, it will load the aircraft the way you left it behind on your last flight ;).

Huh, after all these years I still didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up.