Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

REX Worldwide Airports HD Released - Bitmap resolution?

I'm still getting nowhere with the Rex website.

The downloader sometimes does nothing and at other times it shows all files 100% within seconds.

Surely REX could have rented a scalable server for the first week.

At least I paid with a ( UK ) CC so money back is an option for Monday.

Edit

Finally getting somewhere with the first 4 files downloading slowly ..... looking better after the tweaks

I am thrilled, great addon no fps issues and no vas issues excellent

Unfortunately I can't address every comment or statement directly about providing enough servers for handling the demand of downloads or this doesn't meet expectations or this is crap.  So I will address that separately here:

A.) We live in a society now that expects everything immediately at a very low cost.  We have dedicated servers all over the world trying to handle this.  Most 3rd party developers for Flight Sim do not have large bandwidth/server budgets.  Otherwise, we would have to charge much more for the product.  Enough said there.  In addition it is not always the server that is the cause of corrupt files.  I too have worked in the IT industry for many years and understand there can be many factors to cause issues such as this.

B.) In regards to meeting expectations.  Again we live in a society that feels we have a duty to express our opinions, just look at our elections right now.  But I ask we be civil about it here and constructive.  Many 3rd party developers like REX pour months and months into their work. To have someone get on a forum and say it is "Crap not worth it" really doesn't do anyone any good.  Anyone is welcome to contact me directly and rant all they want.  My personal email is:  rstough@rexgamestudios.com. Our goal is trying to improve a simulator experience at a very low cost to the customer, we are not trying to gouge the customer.

C.) In regards to needing support.  We at REX have tried really hard with our limited resources to provide the best quality support.  Here are my suggestions if you need help downloading or installing this or any REX product:

if you purchased from the REX Store:

1.) If you are using the REX File Transfer Manager tool to download, start it again and under the "Download Type" option select the 2nd option "Use direct download links to download files".  This will provide individual links to download.  You can use your download manager built within your browser to control it at this time.

2.) If option #1 doesn't work on the bottom of the REX File Transfer/Support Manager is a link to "Submit Support Ticket".  Click that link, fill out the form, and submit it.  This will automatically generate a support ticket within our system and we directly contact you with another solution."

If you purchased from another store please do the following:

1.) Please go to our support forum:  http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums and submit your request within our forum.  If you are a first time user of our forum.  PLEASE place your order #, product, and store your purchased REX from within your signature.  This will speed up the validation process for us.
  • Upvote 5

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I was almost buying the product when I read it only replace the default texture, as I only fly to non default airports, this product don't make any sense to me, wanted to know if someone tried it with another custom airport.

This is why they developed Worldwide Airport HD. It brings the default airports up a few levels so we start to fly to some of them. If your just limiting yourself to pay ware scenery then your just limiting yourself. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

HD are 4096 x 4096.  Standard are 1024 x 1024.  There should not be a VAS issue with the HD, but that is dependent on several factors.  1.) Type of system, 2.) Number of processes running on your machine (which I recommend IOBit Game Optimizer or something like that.  3.) Other add-ons and settings with your flight sim.  If you are maxed on ALL those, then I recommend use Standard.

I have to disagree with #2 above...VAS is not affected by other processes running outside FSX/P3D (nor by the amount of physical RAM present)--each process runs in its own VAS.  fps and fluidity certainly can be affected by other processes that may be running, but VAS issues (OOMs) are not caused by too many other processes running on a machine.

For folks using ORBX regions, remember that there are thousands of airports in those regions that have been enhanced by the ORBX designers, and many/most of those replace the stock buildings with objects from ORBX libraries, so you should not expect to see any changes to those "enhanced default" airports by virtue of buffing up the stock textures, since they don't use them.  If you open your FTX_XX_xxx05_SCENERY\scenery folders you'll see a large number of ADEX files, one for each enhanced airport...in the Northern California region alone I counted 713 of them.

I'm curious myself as to what the actual VAS impact is, since stock building textures for the default airports we overfly are often 256x256, so a 1024x1024 "standard" texture in this add-on is still a sixteen-fold increase in texture size, and there are tens of thousands of those default airports dotting the virtual world we fly over.  This looks like a good experiment for someone...baseline without the WW HD add-on, then measure the actual difference.  This is likely a bigger issue for FSX users, since once those textures are loaded during overflights, the sim isn't good about releasing the memory (P3D does).  For some people who run complex add-ons, HD clouds, etc, the added VAS consumption, even if relatively small, might prove significant, even at standard definition.  Personally, I would like to see some numbers derived from third-party testing.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Not to sound rude here, but it is easy to say this, but I would like to see what you are seeing in sim in compared to default.  If you are expecting a FULL 3rd party airport with custom ramps and traffic, then yes you are not going to see that.  But what we have communicated all this time is it is a replacement of the original building textures as well as replacement of key 3D vehicle models.

Thanks for responding but I can now clarify my earlier post as there have been significant developments. The reason why I wasn't seeing improved airport buildings was because by chance I'd tested at a high detail default airport. Unfortunately we've only now discovered that these aren't improved by your product other than by installing better jet ways vehicles etc, the main buildings are unimproved. To be clear, I did not expect every airport in the world to be magically transformed into payware quality, but equally, I did not expect to find that a number of the largest airports in the world would be only partially enhanced. If your developers knew about this limitation in advance then I'm astonished you failed to draw it to the attention of prospective buyers.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for responding but I can now clarify my earlier post as there have been significant developments. The reason why I wasn't seeing improved airport buildings was because by chance I'd tested at a high detail default airport. Unfortunately we've only now discovered that these aren't improved by your product other than by installing better jet ways vehicles etc, the main buildings are unimproved. To be clear, I did not expect every airport in the world to be magically transformed into payware quality, but equally, I did not expect to find that a number of the largest airports in the world would be only partially enhanced. If your developers knew about this limitation in advance then I'm astonished you failed to draw it to the attention of prospective buyers.

Really disappointed if this is the case, 'highly detailed default' being just that... default... Would have thought these would have their textures updated too? Regret purchasing this and it hasn't even downloaded yet...

Note from the stores description:

• Give ALL default airports in FSX, FSX:Steam and Prepar3D the payware-style treatment!

So by this then these airports should also be included as they are default with the various programs above? Can someone at REX chime in on this?

Thank you for you clarification.  There are the 20 (non-default) airports that come stock with FSX /P3D that we are working on to include in an update.  These are a different process than the other default.  

We did draw attention to this within our documentation, presentations at FSCON, and our video cast we did.   There is nothing hidden here.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I did not expect to find that a number of the largest airports in the world would be only partially enhanced.

Hello,

When you metioned the largest airports, I'm wondering if you're speaking about those airports which Microsoft added custom textures to rather than using standard default textures (the ones used at all other airports).  There are roughly 20 airports that Microsoft did with custom textures... and I believe some of them were Atlanta, New York, Paris, and roughly 17 others.  Textures won't be changed at this airports, though they may have some changes if they used any default textures along with the custom ones.  Of course the jetways will change as they're the same default jetways throughout FSX/P3D.

REX was forthcoming about the above information.

Airports to try... KSAN, KJAX, KBDL should all have fully changed textures.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Reed beat me too the reply... I was typing as he posted.  Sorry for the double info.

Edited by DaveCT2003

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Really disappointed if this is the case, 'highly detailed default' being just that... default... Would have thought these would have their textures updated too? Regret purchasing this and it hasn't even downloaded yet...

Note from the stores description:

• Give ALL default airports in FSX, FSX:Steam and Prepar3D the payware-style treatment!

So by this then these airports should also be included as they are default with the various programs above? Can someone at REX chime in on this?

The 20 some airports that are more detailed within FSX/P3D are not default.  They were customized by the Flight Sim team.  We stated very clearly that this is for the default.  We are looking to enhance those airports in the next update.

• Upvote 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Thank you for you clarification.  There are the 20 (non-default) airports that come stock with FSX /P3D that we are working on to include in an update.  These are a different process than the other default.  

We did draw attention to this within our documentation, presentations at FSCON, and our video cast we did.   There is nothing hidden here.

You may have done so but I didn't see this on ANY of the store front selling the product where a purchase decision was made...

The actual text of which a customer would make a purchasing decision does state ALL airports... I'd advise that this is added to the website as it's come as a bit of a surprise as I went by your own micro-site and a major Flight Simulator website of which had nothing advising this...

I'm delighted to hear that you plan to address the non default default airports, that is really good news. I'm sure you'd agree that it would have been helpful to have made this clear in advance, might have saved a lot of people getting hot under the collar like me. I do challenge your assertion that this issue was highlighted in advance but life's too short to get too worked up about that!

just purchased and yet to install, but what Im hearing is that the textures dont apply to even AFCAD / ADE altered files from the AVSIM library?

Hello,

WHDA works 100% with AFCAD's that don't use custom terminal/hanger textures (created by the author). This accounts for vast majority of AFCADs in the AVSIM library. 

If it does contain custom terminals, then we've now crossed into it being Airport Scenery, not merely an AFCAD (which uses default textures).  For the most part, an AFCAD includes terminal layout (with default textures), jetway placement, tarmac, taxiways, runways, etc.

Now, sometimes an author will add some custom OBJECTS to an AFCAD, maybe even a hanger or other building he made a 3D model of from scratch. In such a case those added items call a different (custom) texture than the default texture, so the REX WHDA textures won't replace them. This is actually a VERY, VERY GOOD THING as that custom object will remain while the rest of the airport is enhanced.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.