Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

REX Airports HD and Business 101

Anybody who has followed the OTG blog or YouTube channel knows I'm a huge fan of REX and their work. But as a business person and as a customer I have to say I'm disappointed in their launch day infrastructure. I get it that many sim devs are small shops and can't handle the server back-end of a large software firm. So I'm pretty forgiving on download times. BUT - if you're going to heavily promote a product, email customers to invite them to a Twitch stream that further promotes that product, and then forecast "imminent" release for several days all in the interest of spiking demand, you'd better d**n well be able to serve that demand when the launch comes. Otherwise your brand and your business will suffer, as they have today.

REX has my money this morning. Somebody let me know when the REX download servers and forums are able to handle the load REX so well created for them today so I can get the product I purchased.

Edited by Jim Young
removed inappropriate language
  • Upvote 4

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

This product is available on a number of websites including simmarket and flightsimstore and the rex website. Doubt they are all struggling under load.

I agree with their approach and would do the same thing. I understand your frustration though.

This product is available on a number of websites including simmarket and flightsimstore and the rex website. Doubt they are all struggling under load.

I agree with their approach and would do the same thing. I understand your frustration though.

Yes, but I could get the price discount only via REX site.  :wink:

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Hi,

no, if you purchased any REX product on another shop (e.g. simmarket), you get the discount there as well. So did I.

best regards,

Tris

Yes, but I could get the price discount only via REX site.  :wink:

Not true. I've got it at SimMarket. The only thing if you buy through a reseller is that you should have bought a previous REX product through that same store.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Oh, and I posted this before my morning coffee. Reading it now it seems a bit intense. Apologies for that. 

No, I share your concerns. I bought this morning and have spent the best part of the daylight hours trying to download without success. Now I have blown - it would seem - all my activations without actually downloading a single kb. Problems I can understand, silence about problems I have less tolerance for. 

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

Anybody who has followed the OTG blog or YouTube channel knows I'm a huge fan of REX and their work. But as a business person and as a customer I have to say I'm disappointed in their launch day infrastructure. I get it that many sim devs are small shops and can't handle the server back-end of a large software firm. So I'm pretty forgiving on download times. BUT - if you're going to heavily promote a product, email customers to invite them to a Twitch stream that further promotes that product, and then forecast "imminent" release for several days all in the interest of spiking demand, you'd better d**n well be able to serve that demand when the launch comes. Otherwise your brand and your business will suffer, as they have today.

REX has my money this morning. Somebody let me know when the REX download servers and forums are able to handle the load REX so well created for them today so I can get the product I purchased.

Again, please understand that we are doing ALL we can at the moment to get this working.  There are many that are not having an issue, so we have to address each one individually.

I have been  posting the following solutions on other posts:

If you purchased from the REX store:

1.) If you are using the REX File Transfer Manager tool to download, start it again and under the "Download Type" option select the 2nd option "Use direct download links to download files".  This will provide individual links to download.  You can use your download manager built within your browser to control it at this time.

2.) If option #1 doesn't work on the bottom of the REX File Transfer/Support Manager is a link to "Submit Support Ticket".  Click that link, fill out the form, and submit it.  This will automatically generate a support ticket within our system and we directly contact you with another solution."

If you purchased from another store please do the following:

1.) Please go to our support forum:  http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums and submit your request within our forum.  If you are a first time user of our forum.  PLEASE place your order #, product, and store your purchased REX from within your signature.  This will speed up the validation process for us.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Sigh.

I want it now now now.

What has happened to society.

spacer.png

Sigh.

I want it now now now.

What has happened to society.

LOL Boomer ... a "kids these days" sentiment. We should start the GOS Forum for Grumpy Old Simmers. I'll be the charter member.

My point in the OP though wasn't that I needed it immediately. Indeed I wrote that I typically am very forgiving of delays on launch day, and I've never complained once in these forums about them before. My point was that I thought REX bruised their brand by working so hard to spike a demand that they couldn't meet. I think that's an ethical question as a business person, not a question of gratification as a consumer. If I'm going to entice my customers in my own business I need to be certain I can meet their needs. Otherwise it feels like a failed expectation.

• Upvote 4

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

LOL Boomer ... a "kids these days" sentiment. We should start the GOS Forum for Grumpy Old Simmers. I'll be the charter member.

My point in the OP though wasn't that I needed it immediately. Indeed I wrote that I typically am very forgiving of delays on launch day, and I've never complained once in these forums about them before. My point was that I thought REX bruised their brand by working so hard to spike a demand that they couldn't meet. I think that's an ethical question as a business person, not a question of gratification as a consumer. If I'm going to entice my customers in my own business I need to be certain I can meet their needs. Otherwise it feels like a failed expectation.

We never intended to not meet the needs of our customers.  As a 3rd party developer you really never know how a product will be received.  Even to the day of release of REX Worldwide Airports we went back in forth internally about what to expect.  We clearly under estimated the hit our servers would take.  We have learned some lessons here and things WILL be different when the next release comes.   A little humility here and there is always a good thing.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Anyone that has been into simming for more than a year or two realizes that when a new product, or upgrade is released, trying to get it on the first day is not going to go easily. Wait a day or two, and it will be trouble free. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I think that another point here is that the download installer was showing that files were 100% downloaded but were in fact incomplete which led to all sorts of problems for people when trying to install.

Therefore there was some sort of bug in this software which was adding to the frustration for many people. Even trying to use the manual download links from within this software I had occasion when the files seemingly downloaded but were the incorrect size.

Also added to the mix is that the REX forums were unable to be accessed at the peak of the problems due to server overload.

Thus it is not a simple problem of "the servers are slow" and we can see that they are slow and wait, it was compounded by the bugs in the download manager as we thought it had been downloaded okay and strange problems when trying to install and then unable to access the support forums to find out what was wrong.

Therefore a big lesson to be learned by Rex is not to release brand new deployment software that has not been adequately user tested for a key product launch where the launch has been hyped. This is Software Release 101.

I say all this in the spirit of learning lessons for next time.

As I've previously publicly stated I believe the quality of the actual REX software is 1st class and it's a shame they have been let down by deployment issues as described above.

• Upvote 1