Sign in to follow this  
Manny Ortiz

Airfoil Labs Cessna and Flightfactor 757

I have a question and hopefully somebody can help me

If I set the Cessna to start with the engine off,  the 757 starts the same way.  

How do I stop the 757 from starting with the Cessna settings?

Thank you.

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

I have 4 different copies of X-Plane 10 on my hard drive.  Works if you have enough space.

One is the standard setup with engines running when it starts.

One is a start up with no engines running - Cold starts for the Sim Coders reality expansion pack and it could be used for your 172 start-up.

One is with all throttles/mixture/props tied to one lever each (I have two Saitek Throttle Quadrants and use this for aircraft with more than two engines).

One is used exclusively for my JAR Design A330 as it changes a lot of settings in every aircraft installed in that set-up.

Just choose which one you want to fly in and off you go!

John

John Wingold

I'd say that the Cessna set some datarefs and doesn't restore their original value when you load another aircraft: if this is true then you have to manually check for the ‘start each flight cold and dark’ check box into the 'startup' section of the “Operations & Warnings” menu, it must be not checked.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

All you need to do is edit the X-Plane.prf file in ...\Output\Preferences folder

Change item

_start_running 0

to 

_start_running 1

Make a backup of the file first I don't want to be responsible for your x-plane not starting or something after :)

Uses less space than the solution above ;-)

Thank you for your replies, I will try the X-Plane.prf and see what happens, If not I will install another copy of X-Plane.

Cheers, Manny Ortiz

I have 4 different copies of X-Plane 10 on my hard drive.  Works if you have enough space.

One is the standard setup with engines running when it starts.

One is a start up with no engines running - Cold starts for the Sim Coders reality expansion pack and it could be used for your 172 start-up.

One is with all throttles/mixture/props tied to one lever each (I have two Saitek Throttle Quadrants and use this for aircraft with more than two engines).

One is used exclusively for my JAR Design A330 as it changes a lot of settings in every aircraft installed in that set-up.

Just choose which one you want to fly in and off you go!

John

That seems excessive.

• Upvote 1

That seems excessive.

I agree, 4 seperate installs seems extreme. Why not just backup your preferences file? I think there might be tools on the x-plane.org that will do some of this for you.

I agree, 4 seperate installs seems extreme. Why not just backup your preferences file? I think there might be tools on the x-plane.org that will do some of this for you.

Yeah everything that he is using the different installs for would take literally a minute to change in sim.

That seems excessive.

Might be, but I just start the one I want to fly and go fly. No changing anything. Works for me.

Also, I can assure that a beta doesn't mess everything up and I can fly something else until they fix it.

No problem.. I thought you were asking for suggestions.. Must have misread.

John

John Wingold

I can't find the X-plane.prf in xplane\Output\preferences\

any other directory?

Thank you.

full.png

I use simple batch files to start XP10 in different configurations, and also start additional tools like the FSGRW weather engine.

These files simply replace the X-Plane.prf with another one (by renaming the files) - for example, an "IFR" configuration file which has extended DSF enabled, and a "VFR" one without the option (to maximise performance). The same could easily be done to have a profile "autostart enabled" and an "autostart disabled" one.

example code:

IF EXIST "D:\Programs\X-Plane 10\Output\preferences\X-Plane_IFR_inactive.prf" (
	Ren "D:\Programs\X-Plane 10\Output\preferences\X-Plane.prf" "X-Plane_VFR_inactive.prf"
	Ren "D:\Programs\X-Plane 10\Output\preferences\X-Plane_IFR_inactive.prf" "X-Plane.prf"
 ) ELSE ( 
    	Echo Already in IFR mode!
)

start "" "D:\Programs\X-Plane 10\X-Plane.exe"
start "" "D:\Programs\FSGRW\FS Global Real Weather.exe" dynamic xplane 15 y n

Also, for having different controls for different aircraft, I highly recommend the freeware X-Assign plugin: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/12551-x-assign-linmacwin3264/

It works somewhat like FSUIPC in FSX and allows you to save different profiles with their own axis and button assignments for your hardware, and automatically loads them for the selected aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Yes as Don above I too have some batch files to start with different parameters. I use together with the FART tool. Sounds funny but it called that 'Find And Replace Tool' you can search for it on Google. It's just 1 EXE file and is handy for find and replace in text files etc. An example for you could be like this.

@echo off
::Set some variables
set sFolder=c:\X-Plane 10
set sFile=X-Plane.prf
set sBackupFolder=E:\Backup
set sBackupFileName=X-Plane_current.prf
:: Copy file from X-Plane folder to backup folder and give it a new name so we have a backup if things go wrong.
xcopy /Y "%sFolder%\Output\preferences\%sFile%" "%sBackupFolder%\%sBackupFileName%*"
:: Copy current .prf file to X-Plane.prf in backup folder
xcopy /Y "%sBackupFolder%\%sBackupFileName%" "%sBackupFolder%\%sFile%*"
:: Use fart.exe 'Find And Replace Tool' to find the text you want to change and replace it
"%sBackupFolder%\fart.exe" "%sBackupFolder%\%sFile%" "_start_running 0" "_start_running 1"
"%sBackupFolder%\fart.exe" "%sBackupFolder%\%sFile%" "_start_on_ramp 1" "_start_on_ramp 0"
:: Copy changed file with new settings back into X-Plane preferences folder 
xcopy /Y "%sBackupFolder%\%sFile%" "%sFolder%\Output\preferences\%sFile%*"
:: Start X-Plane
start "%sFolder%\X-Plane.exe"
  • Upvote 1

I use together with the FART tool.

That's a great suggestion actually! I've used the tool too, very useful if you don't want to move or rename the entire config file around. Probably the smartest solution if you only want to change a few parameters (like the autostart option).

It can be found here, by the way: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fart-it/

Thanks for the view of the files, I just needed to use notepad to open them.

Thanks, I will give the plugin a try.

I will google for FART, thank you so much.

One  more question, how do I deal with the rendering? when I switch from the Cessna to the 757 the view in the 757 changes and have to reset the rendering to bring the instruments closer. I had it set a 130.00 (lateral field of view)  and it was perfect for the 757 (3 monitors setup) and when I fly the Cessna the rendering switches to 150.80 (lateral field of view) and forward view with 3D cockpit checked.

I guess I have to explore a bit more, just switched to xplane from P3D about 2 months ago.

Thank you for all your help.

Cheers, Manny Ortiz