Sign in to follow this  
Terence Pang

Running out of space!

My P3D is in my C drive SSD. But ORBX scenery used up nearly all spaces. Is there any method to put the ORBX products in D Drive HDD with the FTX Central? Thanks. 

Hi,

I don't think you can do it with FTX Central, but I did it using Link Shell Extension.

Basically:

1. You move (not copy) the whole ORBX directory on your D drive
  2. Right click on the Orbx directory, select "Take as target link" (something like that because I have it in french ;-))
  3. Go to your P3D base directory (where Orbx was before moving)
  4. Right click anywhere in the directory and chose "Paste... -> a junction"

You then will see an Orbx directory (which is now a link to the real directory) in your P3D base directory.

This wiil free up some space on your C drive and it works fine, FTX central do not see the difference.

Best regards

www.aerosim.ch

That's going to become a serious issue for me in the future as well.  Seems like Orbx might want to come up with their own strategy.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

That would be nice if we could chose where to install all the Orbx sceneries.

I have pretty much the same problem.  This issue seems to be increasing in incidence, mostly due to users outgrowing their SSDs (count me as one of those).  I've read quite a few threads on how people are getting around it; the idea of using a hard symbolic link or junction point seems to work well (Link Shell Extension referred to above is a small application for setting this up, or if you're happy using the Windows command line editor it's quite easy to set up by this route too using the mklink command).

My only concern before I try this is the effect on speed, as in the long run I would have both link and target folders on separate SSDs.  Is there a cost in performance (speed) to using a junction link which would wipe out the benefit of using the SSDs? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is set up in this configuration.

Sure we can do it using Windows command line, but this tool is great and the procedure is then much much simpler!

I'm using junctions for a while now without performance issue, but I have no real metrics to show (it is though a bit subjective ;-)).

I'm using junctions for a while now without performance issue, but I have no real metrics to show (it is though a bit subjective ;-)).

That's good to hear, thanks for the reply.  I'll start some experimenting and see how it goes.

I recently transferred 65 GB of Orbx downloads  from a C drive SSD to another hard drive using a free program called "Junction Link Magic".

There is also an excellent  how to use video for it on you tube.

fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg