Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

Google Earth and FS

Guest Mehmnoch

I was thinking about futur releases of FS....Microsoft should work and negociate with Google on the implementation of google Earth technology in FS, this would be the dream of every virtual pilots !Is it really possible ? Is there any information about that somewhere ?

Guest Mehmnoch

Yes i Know this tool...but i was thinking about linking GE IN FS, as textures for example, and not exporting FS coordinates in GE

Given that Microsoft has a very similar product already available, I don't see any reason why they should cave in and become a subsidiary of Google.

I doubt that this will happen anytime soon, because we don't have the bandwidth (yet) and even the Google coverage is spotty in lower populated areas. And what about seasons? The satellite imagery is usually kinda 'bland' when it comes to colors and the quality alo varies greatly by region. Some are only b/w and that would be kind boring as well...I am sure photo-realistic global scenery will come sooner or later, but unfortunately we're not there yet. Actually, I am very, very happy with Ultimate Terrain. If we had the quality of UT globally, I think we'd be all very happy campers for now.Cheers

To add to that, some of us aren't cracked up about photo-real scenery. I know I for one have never been a photo-real fan as the shadows cast in the photo bug me too much, especially in mountainous terrain when FS casts it's own shadows which may be 180 degrees from the shadow in the photo.A system that allowed us to find add-on scenery for a given location or flight plan would be nice however, but I feel having add-on scenery designers imput coordinates with their uploads would be asking too much.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

>To add to that, some of us aren't cracked up about photo-real>scenery. I know I for one have never been a photo-real fan as>the shadows cast in the photo bug me too much, especially in>mountainous terrain when FS casts it's own shadows which may>be 180 degrees from the shadow in the photo.>Some of the most realistic looking in flight screen shots I ever produced was using FLYII, and a 3rd party Southern California photo-real scenery. But to look good, you needed to be around 6000' agl, or higher. It looked very fuzzy while approaching the airport.Since I really enjoy simulated mountain flying, whether at tree top level, or at 36000' msl in the F-16 Viper, the present technique using mesh and landclass with auto-gen seems to be best. Photo-real is only going to look good up high, at least for now.L.Adamson

That and Fly!II didn't attempt to cast it's own terrain shadows as FS2004 does. I too enjoy low flight, usually in aircraft such as the Aerosoft PA-18 Super Cub (I own one on FS Economy so it's my main flier right now) and DHC-2 Beaver, or Mikko's Maule so things look fuzzy. However, it's mainly the terrain shadows in the photo-real that get to me. If I could get photo-real scenery without the shadows alread in it, I'd find it more appealing.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach