Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

Questions for a new Laptop - HDD/SSD

I am starting to do my research for a new "Gaming" laptop as my 6 year old Dell served it's purpose for business but does not really cut it for FSX-SE. With Black Friday sales coming soon I am hoping to be ready to purchase either an MSI or ASUS-ROG.

1. If I get a 1TB HDD with a 128GB SSD combined is there any problem installing FSX-SE completely into the SSD - is that the way to go?

2. If #1 is a YES, then what about all the other addons - should everything related to FSX-SE be in the SSD?

3. Also what about just a 1TB HDD 7200RPM SATA without a combined SSD drive?

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Personally, I would not use a laptop, but that is your decision.  Remember that FSX has a need for speed, so the fastest CPU you can afford will help and I would also get the biggest SSD available for the laptop. 

I would use the SSD for everything related to FSX and let the HDD run windows.  The HDD can also be

used to store big scenery files.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks chatliearon for your reply and suggestions. Unfortunately I do need to go with a laptop due to my space restrictions.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Thanks chatliearon for your reply and suggestions. Unfortunately I do need to go with a laptop due to my space restrictions.

You can find high end Gaming laptops. Last I knew they were very expensive!

BaldyB

You are going to have space problems with a 128 GB SSD.

If that is the choice, I would put Windows on the SSD and FSX on the HDD.

That is enough space for Windows and the inevitable clutter that ends up getting installed on the C: drive.

FSX would load faster if loaded on the SSD, and you could start out that way, but over time you will have to move FSX as you run out of SSD space.

Once FSX is loaded, the SSD does not buy you that much.. certainly no performance boost.

Best would be a second SSD, say 256 GB for FSX.

Bert

Get a Sager notebook

http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Get a Sager notebook

http://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php

What he said. :)

Sager is very good value for what you get with it.  It was a my second choice if I hadn't caved on an Origin.  I chose Origin because the their reputation as being the "original" crew from Alienware before Dell bought it.  I am more than happy with my Origin as it can compete with the big boys.  With the latest cpu and gpu choices, it's all a matter of what combinations you need.  Also, make sure you get a good solid warranty and if you are offered a deal where you can trade in old components as credit towards new ones, go for that too.

I am currently running X-Plane on my Origin and it runs smooth as glass.  It did decent with P3D too.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I've considered getting a laptop for FSX, but most new laptops seem to come with 2.4 Ghz processors. That's the desktop processor speed I've had the the past 81/2 years...and is badly in need of an upgrade.

I'm using a MSI GT72....I7-6820, 4 gig nvidia 980m, 2 of the m.2 drives and a standard 1tb 7200 rpm hd, 24 gigs ram. Came with a bluray optical drive.  When home i plug a 34"dell ultrasharp monitor in it and it runs it smooth. excellent cooling plus I sit it on a cooler pad.

There is now the GT73 out with a 8 gig nvidia 1080. 

I'm totally happy with my setup.

Dave