Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

About P3D forum. An old chap suggestion...

What I suggest is a bit more flexibility in order to add some “life” and interest, not to break the rules.

Maybe could you allow a single and unique topic to remain in this forum when an important addon is released, like a new weather engine, a new camera tool, a new set of textures.

Our policies and rules set up by Tom some time ago will stand.  This is a community website consisting of several forums and not just one forum.  I know P3D is the most popular forum right now

Views.png

and where your observations about a new product will get the most attention but rules are rules (see the AVSIM Screenshot Rules under the Forums tab).  Right now there are many discussions about the new REX HD Airport product in the Hangar Chat.  As a suggestion, what I do when I first come on board the forums is to look at the "recently discussed topics" in the upper right corner of the forums where topics about REX will pop up for everyone to see and then link to view no matter where it is located.  We had another major issue with AS16/ASCA when it was first released.  The naysayers immediately stuck when the product was first released and things went downhill fast.  Lots of trolling, rants, and false innuendo.  The topics are still on AVSIM but they were placed where they belong.  When I first took over this position from Steve (Spiritflyer), Tom PM'd me a lot and bluntly asked me why a topic was in the FSX forum when the topic's subject had nothing to do with FSX or just FSX.  The way I look at it, if we had some members breaking the rules, it would slowly turn into chaos as everyone would be doing it (or wanting to do it).  Bottom line:  I just wish you would not ask me to break our rules, for you or anyone else.  Again, let our moderator team know via the 'Report' button if you disagree with where we moved one of your topics.  We will take a look at it but no promises we will agree 100% of the time.

BTW, I moved your comparison topic to the Hangar Chat as you were trying to compare the REX product with the Zinertek product.  If it had been, hey, this is what the REX HD airport at KFET looks like, then it would have gone to the screenshot forum.  As you can see above, the Hangar Chat and Screen Shot Forums are pretty popular too!

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

ok, I have been the one moving a lot of the posts in the P3D forum. *IF* the posts relate to P3D I do not move it. David's post was a comparison of two products that are not specific to P3D. Let's assume the FSX user doesn't follow the P3D forum - he wouldn't see it. Putting it in the Hangar Chat or Screenshot forum would give the info better exposure.

For me my criteria are generally - is it related to P3D or just a generic thread? Some threads start out as P3D then switch into pages of general discussion.

I don't believe I have moved a thread that was specifically related to P3D.

If there's a better criteria, I'm open to suggestions.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ok, I have been the one moving a lot of the posts in the P3D forum. *IF* the posts relate to P3D I do not move it. David's post was a comparison of two products that are not specific to P3D. Let's assume the FSX user doesn't follow the P3D forum - he wouldn't see it. Putting it in the Hangar Chat or Screenshot forum would give the info better exposure.

For me my criteria are generally - is it related to P3D or just a generic thread? Some threads start out as P3D then switch into pages of general discussion.

I don't believe I have moved a thread that was specifically related to P3D.

If there's a better criteria, I'm open to suggestions.

Vic

So any add on to be discussed   that is not P3D specific, which is probably most all of them, should be posted in Hangar Chat from now on, or am I misunderstanding something. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Actually Bob, yes although I don't like it either, it's the rules. When it's an interesting product (and not just someone promoting their baby) I try to leave it for a day or so to gain some momentum and then move it where it belongs.

Discussing a new addon and how it works in P3D would be fine. Discussing how it works in P3D, FSX and XP would probably get it moved.

P3D is the most popular forum right now and, as such, is where people want to engage in discussion for the best feedback but that's what HC is for unless it's P3D specific.

In the FWIW department, I've looked at some of the threads with the idea of splitting them out to relevant forums but the few I've looked at would lose content and I am not an editor, nor should I be.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thank you David.

Your well worn and warm words about devotion and service to this community reminds me of the glue that bond so many of us together today and in the past. It was my pleasure to once have served with you and for you.

What this 'constitutional' debate reminds me of is the difference between an information center filled with filing cabinets, where every individual data point is analysed, categorized and filed in the proper place, at the expense of context.

versus

The more organic meeting of a closely knit community that resembles a talking circle around a campfire (but hopefully not singing Kumbaya too often)  :wub:  where individual conversations are taking place, open for others members to listen in, join, or move on, at will.

Neither one would be the answer to the issues you allude to or aspire to the inspiration you pay homage to, just possible opening talking points. The very fact that you received such positive feedback from senior members points to a longing for more than we are. Many are loaded with acute observation and sage advice, both for and against.

So, I hope that each of us will weigh what AVSIM means and what we are willing to hope and work for. The AVSIM past points to a DNA of radical adaptation to changing technology, organizational models, personnel, methods and means, while remaining grounded in the glue of our better natures of care and courtesy for each other.

Tom was a personality, a character with bigger-than-life human interaction, both very good and sometimes less so, as are we all. He never considered himself locked into anything, other than a deep seated desire to build a place people wanted to be part of, because they feel at home, and care. That is a foundation that can be built upon.

As for me, I hope we build upon what and who we were by becoming what and who we need to be, the life pumping heart and home of all those who love this hobby, regardless of all the other things that may divide us. After all, we are about wishing to soar beyond the limits of mere mundane ground bound reality! Thank you David for reminding us of who we are and why we are here.

A special thank you to Jim Young and the moderators who work so hard to keep AVSIM together. It is not as easy as it might look to not only be fair and consistent, but appear to be so by all. We are increasingly in your debt.

Kind regards,

A special thank you to Jim Young and the moderators who work so hard to keep AVSIM together. It is not as easy as it might look to not only be fair and consistent, but appear to be so by all. We are increasingly in your debt.

Thank you Steve for your kind comments.  I totally agree with your comments.  Both you and David served AVSIM well!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So, why is this thread on the P3D forum.  I guess I am not understanding  this.    http://www.avsim.com/topic/497537-rex-worldwide-airports-hd-1st-impressions/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

So any add on to be discussed   that is not P3D specific, which is probably most all of them, should be posted in Hangar Chat from now on, or am I misunderstanding something.

What about a topic, say, "Love the PMDG 777" in the P3D Forum.  Clearly the title refers to the PMDG 777 but, what if the topic contents say something like, "just flew the PMDG 777 from KLAS to Paris using P3Dv3.2.  What an exciting flight.  I have Orbx Global installed and the flight went without a hitch.  I could not believe how smooth and stable it was during the flight.  The P3D cloud shadows really provided a lot of immersion during the flight and the AS16 weather provided realistic weather.  I have an i7 4770K but it is not overclocked and I use no tweaks. ProATC-X was employed too and it worked great with all of my add-ons and P3D."

Nothing wrong here as we are talking about add-ons in P3D (and not FSX/X-Plane/DTG). 

What about a topic, "REX HD Airports look great in P3D".  "Just installed the new REX HD Airports and checked some of them out in P3Dv3.2.  First of all, the product looks great in P3D and I saw little or no issues with FPS.  The airports all looked great so far and an exciting add-on for P3D.  Anyone seeing any problems?  What's the best theme found so far?"

Again, nothing wrong with this in the P3D Forums.

Here's another topic - "AS16 does not work".  "Why doesn't AS16 weather work for me in P3D?" 

This one would probably be moved as it would best be answered in the user-to-user support forum for ActiveSky (where the experts reside).  Perhaps the question has already been answered there.  It has nothing to do with P3D other than it won't work in P3D. 

I think you might be getting the idea.  It is extremely difficult to respond to every situation and I'm not going to play that game here.  Just wanted to give you an idea what we go through while moderating the world's largest flight simulation website.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

Our policies and rules set up by Tom some time ago will stand. This is a community website consisting of several forums and not just one forum.

Sounds good to me.

All-ya-all (AVSIM Staff) do a great job keeping this huge forum well organized.

• Upvote 1

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Sounds good to me.

All-ya-all (AVSIM Staff) do a great job keeping this huge forum well organized.

Thanks Vaughan.  Appreciate the nice words.  I think we have a great team trying to do the best they can!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

BTW, I moved your comparison topic to the Hangar Chat as you were trying to compare the REX product with the Zinertek product.  If it had been, hey, this is what the REX HD airport at KFET looks like, then it would have gone to the screenshot forum.  As you can see above, the Hangar Chat and Screen Shot Forums are pretty popular too!

I'm sorry but I don't get it.  Why are the posts moved to the Hangar Chat when the description for the Hangar Chat forum reads:

This forum is for the discussion of real world aviation topics and any other topics not covered in other forums. Please make sure that your topic isn't covered in another forum before posting here.

The above mentioned posts do not fit in the P3D or FSX forums?  Also why is there a post in the Hangar Chat forum about a user with a TrackIR problem in Windows 10?  Doesn't that post belong in the one of the sub-forums of the Hardware & Operating Systems Discussions section?

I'm not questioning how you guys are running the site but it's becoming a bit confusing figuring out what forum to read to find the information one is looking for.  I'm very surprise to see you are moving posts to sub-forums based on that forums popularity or exposure and not the forums intended purpose.

Todd

Not easier to have an additional thread called 'P3D/FSX info? (or such like) for common issues & interest?

I read that there is sometimes a problem when allocating postings that are interesting to a combined audience who have common interest.

We know that there is a bit of commonality with the two sims, & maybe this will help the guys when looking for info?

Just a little example.. Let's say there is a guy (me actually) that still runs P3Dv1.4 (I only have DX9!, and there are a few of us out there!). Where would I look for info? In the P3D forum, or the FSX one? ( we know that v1.4 is very close to FSX)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

May I suggest to leave most threads/discussions here in this forum as long as discussion on a thread is alive. Sometimes it is also not foreseeable in what direction a thread will lead. After some time, when discussion has ceased the thread could be moved to an appropriate sub-forum if applicable.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I'm not going to discuss our decisions here any further.  Topic closed.

Submit News to AVSIM