Sign in to follow this  
ST1322

Simconnect

Hi,

For many this may seem like stupid question, but how do I know if simconnect is installed?

Tom Link

Tom Link

Go to the add and remove programs option in Windows: Simconnect should be in that list.

For many this may seem like stupid question, but how do I know if simconnect is installed?

If you mean on the P3D PC, then SimConnect is part of Prepar3D and there's no separate installation' unless you've opted to install one of the FSX (or ESP) Legacy versions from the "redist" folder in your P3D installation. You may do that for compatibility with an add-on application originally designed for FSX. Or maybe you already had one or more of them installed from using FSX beforehand on the same PC.

On a Networked PC, to run a SimConnect application there, you'd need to install one of those legacy packages on that PC. You'd need to install either all three FSX versions, or just the one the application needs, if it is stated. Most recent applications would be okay with the FSX SP2/ACC version, but there are some which still need the FSX SP1 version.

Following Jeroen's advice will show if you have any legacy versions installed on any PC, but it won't show any Prepar3D versions because there's no separate installation for those.. 

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

If you mean on the P3D PC, then SimConnect is part of Prepar3D and there's no separate installation' unless you've opted to install one of the FSX (or ESP) Legacy versions from the "redist" folder in your P3D installation. You may do that for compatibility with an add-on application originally designed for FSX. Or maybe you already had one or more of them installed from using FSX beforehand on the same PC.

On a Networked PC, to run a SimConnect application there, you'd need to install one of those legacy packages on that PC. You'd need to install either all three FSX versions, or just the one the application needs, if it is stated. Most recent applications would be okay with the FSX SP2/ACC version, but there are some which still need the FSX SP1 version.

Following Jeroen's advice will show if you have any legacy versions installed on any PC, but it won't show any Prepar3D versions because there's no separate installation for those.. 

Pete

Peter...

I'd like to thank you for the clearest explanation I've seen yet regarding SimConnect. I've made a note of it. (I fly the NGX regularly).

Missed you at Cosford this year.

Regards

Bill

Missed you at Cosford this year.

Yes, coincided with a much earlier booked steam train trip elsewhere in Europe.

I also meant to go to the FS Weekend in Lelystad this weekend just gone, but missed that too due to other commitments.

Oh well, there's always next year! ;-)

Pete

there are some which still need the FSX SP1 version.

It's worth pointing out that the reason some addons utilise the SP1 61242 version of SimConnect is simply because they have to also work with Standard and Deluxe FSX versions without Acceleration installed. Addons configured for SP2 61259 won't work unless the user has Acceleration installed or installed FSX Gold or FSX:SE or P3D v2/3.

...We can search in "\Windows\WinSxS" for SimConnect.dll and we can see the versions installed more reliably than looking at Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. So we can get a list with Explorer but the SimConnect.dll is installed along with a complicated set of system settings that must be working correctly and can become upset by errant apps drivers or installers. Problem situations arising can usually be rectified by installing the .msi for each version again. Systems that still don't work after installing may have a problem with the user profile or system permissions. In these cases try logging in a new user added to the Windows system as admin like the first user added.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It's worth pointing out that the reason some addons utilise the SP1 61242 version of SimConnect is simply because they have to also work with Standard and Deluxe FSX versions without Acceleration installed. 

But SP2 itself was also released as a specific separate free update. The SimConnect version for both SP2 and Acceleration is the same. I am surprised that folks wouldn't take advantage of that as it does fix some problems.

SP2 is still available. For example, here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8986

We can search in "\Windows\WinSxS" for SimConnect.dll and we can see the versions installed more reliably than looking at Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. 

Yes, and in fact that is what FSUIPC does. Then it links to a chosen version directly (dynamic linking), all to get over the sorts of problems you mention next:

the SimConnect.dll is installed along with a complicated set of system settings that must be working correctly and can become upset by errant apps drivers or installers.

The whole WinWxS system along with manifests and probes drove me potty with the various problems folks would get into, which is why I abandoned it all and went to the DLLs directly.

Pete

Never the less, back when those old addons were made there was a lot of stuff around that did not like SP2 installed so users back then needed SP1a compatibility, some may still do. The extra few functions in later version were rarely if ever needed. Agree there are other ways of utilising Windows resources if you know what you are doing. So far I've rarely encountered SimConnect issues arising from FSX or P3D addons however they are made.

Never the less, back when those old addons were made there was a lot of stuff around that did not like SP2 installed so users back then needed SP1a compatibility, some may still do. 

Yes, of course. Which is in fact exactly why I said

"Most recent applications would be okay with the FSX SP2/ACC version, but there are some which still need the FSX SP1 version."

Thanks for the additional details.

Pete

You're welcome Pete, sometimes folk think that they don't need 61242 or even 60905 installed and run into problems that way. So I thought to broaden your point would not be a problem.

On this point

So far I've rarely encountered SimConnect issues arising from FSX or P3D addons however they are made. 

Me too -- except on my current Development PC which runs Win7 and on which I copied some user's way of messing it all up and have never got SimConnect WinSxS working on it again since! Not that I now need it, thank goodness.

But of the thousands of FSUIPC users there were plenty in the day who managed to get their SimConnect WinSxS state in some sort of mess. With Windows XP I could get that sorted by a bit of Registry editing (or the .REG files to do it), bit I found this fixing impossible in Vista and Win7, which is why I changed how FSUIPC connected. It didn't help those folks if they tried to use other SimConnect add-ons, but it took a load of support pressure off me, I can tell you!

In the end many folks who managed to get into this mess (which seemed to usually arise somehow by trying to uninstall / reinstall in some non-approved manner) had to resort to a complete reinstall from Windows up.

Pete

...but to recap I was stressing that the only general issues arising from SimConnect are from; not having the version installed for the addon, there's something gone wrong with the SimConnect setup or there's a problem in the system with the User. Generally these issues are cleared up by making sure all the versions are installed anyway since it doesn't make any difference, reinstalling if subsequently there's a failure, and trying a new User if all else fails. These are what I've found fixed 99% of issues but I know some have resorted to reinstalling Windows to get round odd problems. Pete your software circumnavigating these issues should be noted as a great bit of work.