Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Have not touched fs9 in eons!

Good day FS9 users!!!

So, Here is a little bit of info on what I have been trying to achieve in the last year or so.

In the last little while I have been tinkering with fsx and P3D. I recently purchased a new to me system, not the best system but its much better than I have ever had.

Now I installed FSX about a year ago, Played with it and tinkered, Came to the conclusion that as a GA platform for my system it works great However throwing in an airliner and a bit of AI and It doesn't perform to my liking, I also went the P3D route and same result, Great for light twins and GA flying but that's as far as I can get with it while enjoying the flight experience.

I thought I would never utilize more than one sim for different types of flying, but here I am.

My frustrations with trying to achieve a smooth flight experience with as much eye candy as I can get while flying airliners had led me to dust up my old copy of fs9 out of storage after having sit there for I'm gonna say at least 3 years and install it, I also did my research in the add-ons that I once purchased back in the day, some as old as 2005!!!!

Anyways, I installed what I felt is needed for my airliner flying experience, I have the IFLY 737 installed, GEPro, Ultimate terrain, fsuipc and REX2004(although the real weather within REX doesn't seem to be working, but that's a minor issue) I am getting amazing performance while airliner flying, even with some add-on sceneries, So What I'm planning on doing is using fsx and P3D for my GA flights and fs9 for airliner flying.

Having been gone for so long from fs9, is there anything I absolutely should look into? I know I need some cloud and sky textures, I thought my old copy of rex would satisfy that however it doesn't seem to be working. Are there any other weather engines I could use for fs9, I used to use active sky 6.5 but from what I read it is gone for good.

Also any suggestions for cloud and sky textures? as for ground textures im content with GEpro and ultimate terrain.

I really enjoy flying from the united states and Canada to the Caribbean, I simply cant achieve this using fsx or P3d but can with ease using fs9 with lots of eye candy, So I'm back when it comes to airliners!!!

Thanks

EDIT: Also are there any Must do cfg tweaks...Sims running great, but isnt there a tweak to be able to "see" further in the distance, where the FAR horizon isn't as blurry etc.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I'd get rid of REX weather, but if you must use it, a simple tweak will get it back for you: NOAA changed their URL not long ago so in the rex.exe.config file in the main rex directory you need to set the noaaUrl string to "https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/cycles/".  I prefer ASE as a weather engine since it still gives you access to load GEPro textures from within the application. I use REX to load the sky textures after GEPro does its thing.

DJ

Gerry,

What are your system specs?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hello Gerry, I use ASE for my weather engine and the freeware HDEv2 for my clouds/sky.... kept me happy for years.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

System specs are

I5 660 3.2 ghz

8gb ram

GTX 660 2gb card

I know they are of low standards but it runs fs9 no problems, for fsx and p3d, well that's a different story

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

All good advice... 

ASE/HDEv2 clouds/GePRO combination works for me, too.

I see I also have Zinertek water thrown in the mix.

Perhaps have a browse through the pinned topics above, especially the utilities like Sweetfx to change the overall "look" of the sim. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.

System specs are

I5 660 3.2 ghz

8gb ram

GTX 660 2gb card

I know they are of low standards but it runs fs9 no problems, for fsx and p3d, well that's a different story

My rig is within a whisker of yours.  I'd love to know how you can run the iFly 737 in the VC with no degradation.  On my setup it's an absolute "No No" unless I want a trip full of stutters.  Perhaps that's why some time ago I decided that GA in FS9 was the only the way to go.

Dijvid

My rig is within a whisker of yours.  I'd love to know how you can run the iFly 737 in the VC with no degradation.  On my setup it's an absolute "No No" unless I want a trip full of stutters.  Perhaps that's why some time ago I decided that GA in FS9 was the only the way to go.

Dijvid

I can't say for sure how I'm getting the good performance, fs9 out of the box with most settings on high to ultra high, flying the Ifly 737 with gepro, ultimate terrain, hdev2 with building storms weather theme into the famous freeware KPHL scenery which is simply amazing, I'm getting about 35 frames per second in which I'm more than happy with while providing me with a authentic flight experience. No tweaks to the cfg other than upping the VC pan rate to 900.

I can't say for sure how I'm getting the good performance, fs9 out of the box with most settings on high to ultra high, flying the Ifly 737 with gepro, ultimate terrain, hdev2 with building storms weather theme into the famous freeware KPHL scenery which is simply amazing, I'm getting about 35 frames per second in which I'm more than happy with while providing me with a authentic flight experience. No tweaks to the cfg other than upping the VC pan rate to 900.

I'm not envious!!!!

Dijvid

I know the frustrations, that's why I came back to fs9, as an uneducated guess the technology of fsx and p3d should be better than fs9, but while using fsx and p3d to fly airliners I have to turn everything down, so in hindsight going to an older version of fs I can have a better looking sim with better performance.

I'm very happy I decided to give fs9 a go with my new to me system.

FS9 is still tops in our world............

Amen to that!!!!

Dijvid

And with the 2015 landclass it makes a huge difference!

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=194424

"File Description:
Worldwide villages, towns, suburbs and cities (1'073'584 to be exact) taken from GIS and converted into Landclass tiles (1837 LOD files). No more empty fields when there should be villages and towns. One tile per village/town/suburb/city."