Sign in to follow this  
Guest KaelOost

Editing FSX Airport

Guest delsimflyer

Is there any new utility to edit stock fsx airports?Couldn't find any in the SDK.Tried to open them with fs9's afcad 2.21 but it failed.

You might have to do some hunting, but there is a little program X2AF2X that can be used with BGLAnalyzeX to disaseemble FSX APX files and pull out the stuff that is the same as in FS9, allowing AFCAD2 to work on that portion of the airport code.scott s..

Guest KaelOost

>Is there any new utility to edit stock fsx airports?>Couldn't find any in the SDK.>Tried to open them with fs9's afcad 2.21 but it failed.There are some people over at FSDeveloper working on a new program, but from what I understand it will be next year before we see anything.

Hi,I'm using the most recent version of AFCAD (for FS9) but my reasons make it quite practical - I'm using it to increase parking at local GA airports. The ones that aren't extremely complex.1. take/make FS9 afcad2. view FSX in slew mode, edit afcad file to match original FSX runways/taxiways - this lets you keep taxi signs in place and also use buildings (which are not part of the AF2 file).3. Adjust the parking amount and location.4. Activate AF2 file (overiding original airport)5. Fly6. cuss falling fps with the 50% extra traffic that's now in the area.Loyd

Guest KaelOost

>This will convert FS04 to FSX AFCADs:>fs92fsx.zip>>Jim>While I think its great that this util has been created, it's not really very useful at complex (most) airports. The buildings are in different places, so sure you can convert your FS9 afcads, but you'll ofte have aircraft parking in buildings and such things.Looking forward to a full scenery editor from some talanted developer.

Guest maplehurst

how do you activate the new af2 file to overdide default in FSX ?Michael

how do you activate the new af2 file to overdide default in FSX ?????AFCAD files in FS2004 never override the default airfield data. Flight Simulator is designed to allow certain parts of the airfield to be replaced by files in the Addon Scenery folder.You just have to include deleteAll= statements in the addon scenery file. Lee wrote AFCAD to place these in all files.You can simply place an AF2 file in the Addon SceneryScenery folder in FSX.Now - you are going to loose some elements in FSX - blast fences, airport fences, fuel trucks, vehicle route markings on the apron, maybe taxiway signs, maybe jetways.You will certainly disconnect the jetways from the parking spots if you change any of the gate numbers or gate area names - i.e. Gate G to Gate A. The jetways will be there, but will not work - because they don't know which parking spot they are assigned to.Or you might have a really funny case of a jetway moving all the way across an airport because you gave the parking spot Area and Number to a spot far from the jetway. So when an eligible aircraft parks - the jetway will move to it - even a mile away.

-SNIP->You just have to include deleteAll= statements in the>addon scenery file. Lee wrote AFCAD to place these in all>files.-SNIP-Seems to me it would behove someone to find the bytes in theAFCAD BGL that instruct FSx to "DeleteAll=" and the appropriatecode to hex edit the file to perhaps change the object of theDeleteAll statement to delete only a specific entity.If the code is implemented such that there is one bit in aword for each DeleteAll object, a simple edit could then remove that deletion, say for approaches, or taxiways, etc.This would at least allow you to use the FS9 AFCADS for a lot of tweaking that now results in deletion of things you don't necessarily want deleted. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

AFCAD is setup to put the following code into all AF2 files:FSX has additional elements which need to be ADDED to AF2 files to make them work properly, or else all FALSE statements left out of the DeleteAirport section.Note because they contain two different elements Runways have to be include in Taxiway edits.Runways and Taxiways are tied together by the "black" runway link line you see in AFCAD. If you make changes in the taxiway network, the runways have to be included in the new XML file.There are some elements which have to be removed by exclude statements written above the airport header - something AFCAD does not do.The options / commands include:excludeAllObjectsorexcludeBeaconObjects -> the light atop a tower / control towerexcludeEffectObjects -> can be many things which trigger effectsexcludeExtrusionBridgeObjects -> bridgesexcludeGenericBuildingObjects -> terminal buildings/ hangers/ T-hangersexcludeLibraryObjects -> towers, localizer antennas, fuel stations, fire stations, fire trucksexcludeTaxiwaySignObjects -> it appears all taxiway signs are now XML basedexcludeTriggerObjects -> this are invisible - such as the square box near a fuel station. The visual has nothing to do with refueling your aircraft - it's the trigger objects which triggers the refuel.excludeWindsockObjects -> windsocks[/i]I'll say this again - if an old #### like me can understand and use the XML coding to modify airports - then anyone who can handle AFCAD can do so. It takes a little while to get your head wrapped around it.Burkhard's tool X2AF2X is not perfect and involves a few steps - but it gives you the ability to create the hard parts of the XML file with AFCAD - then put the code into an XML file which BglComp will understand and create FSX compliant files.

I assume that was a bump, but things I don't think have advanced too much. I think the effort is on accurately decoding FSX-style scenery, including but not limited to the traditional "AFCAD" data. In the course some bugs, or at least some undocumented things uncovered, with taxi signs and extrusion bridges, to name a couple off the top of my head. Once the decoders and the intent of the new stuff is understood, building editors should be easier. Already there is use of the mission editor in the sdk as an object placer.I don't know what happened to Tom Hiscox and his scenegenx. ISTM that updating that for the new XML code would be a nice path to FSX airport editing.scott s..