Sign in to follow this  
Noel

CAREFUL: using FTX Central kills your ability to make specific regions or global active

It ruined today's flying here on a rainy day when I open FTX Central and discover it was not possible to get to the interface so I could change active regions or deactivate all specific regions and just use global.  I use global only for flying PMDG stuff, and use regionals for mostly VFR or less aircraft.  So I ended up doing the migration and now at the gate at KPDX in the NGX we're at 18 frames instead of the normal 26 when global only is active.  JV says they are working on restoring what they removed--I hope it's soon.  Moderator Nick says one can do this manually in the scenery library so I tried unchecking PNW scenery but alas this corrupted the terrain and textures around KPDX.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Can't you just disable it in the Scenery?  I use SimStarter for that and haven't noticed any difference.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Can't you just disable it in the Scenery?  I use SimStarter for that and haven't noticed any difference.

Well, I tried by unchecking all sceneries that had PNW in their names, but as I say KPDX was corrupted.  I am not experienced in how the scenery library works so presumably unchecking the PNW sceneries removed some other stuff.  I'll just hang it up until ORBX restores what they removed.  

I've lost patience for tweaking and screwing w/ problems caused by a developer who didn't think it mattered to break functionality w/ no way out.  The nice red warning panel said it all.  Couldn't even open up FTX and change active scenery.   I have had the sense from JV previously his model is to do whatever he wants regardless of impacts to paying customers until enough people complain--as long as they complain tactfully and don't dis ORBX in the process.  He is the dictator of his forum and closes down threads that don't paint a rosy picture of ORBX--I think it comes w/ having little competition.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I've lost patience for tweaking and screwing w/ making stuff work.

+1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I get round the same problem as the OP has by having two FSX intalls on my PC one pre migration and the other post migration.  Just change drive letters depending which one I want to use.  Pretty unsatisfactory having to do this but have little alternative as even with Scenery Config Editor you can't get the FTX Central scenery activation/deactivation functionality that was lost post migration.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Interesting views on this.  Since I don't fly the heavies I would never have thought about this issue.

Sorry I can't help you on this one.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

havnt  had  any issues  at all  one of the best things  orbx  have  done,  don t have  to open up  ftx   central   to change  regions  which was  a pain,  can fly  anywhere  and  don't  have  to worry  about  using  ftx  central  anymore.

The  new  ftx  v2  and  v3  there is  no option  to change  region  hence  the migration  so  the topic  is  misleading  and  hence  that's  why there  are insertion points  option  in the  ftx central  all explained  in the manual   and  orbx  forum

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I also don't see the problem. Region switching has not been necessary ever since Orbx has rolled out the unified lclookup file with the old FTX Central v2. Switching off regions can easily be achieved by deselecting the items in the scenery.cfg.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I also don't see the problem. Region switching has not been necessary ever since Orbx has rolled out the unified lclookup file with the old FTX Central v2. Switching off regions can easily be achieved by deselecting the items in the scenery.cfg.

I do see the problem because deactivating the scenerys does not deactivate the multitude of elevation adjustment files in scenery/world/scenery. You have to rename them to deactivate them. This is something ftx central should do. It is really a shame that there is no option for it.

I do see the problem because deactivating the scenerys does not deactivate the multitude of elevation adjustment files in scenery/world/scenery.

Fair point! I only deactivate the regions when I fly tubeliners. And then I don't notice elevation problems with the small airports. But this is really something that FTX Central should handle. Rob has asked Orbx to include a "global only" option in FTX Central. Let's hope they listen... 

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

a really misleading title...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'll just say that there are some good products out there that alleviate the whole situation.  I use SimStarter and it is wonderful at this...enabling to switch between scenery sets and sim configuration based on the kind of flying I'm doing and where I'm flying.  Flying high with jets in Europe?...lower density, turn off everything but Europe.  I actually put Vector all by itself in a profile and select when to turn it on...usually for low flying.  I have my scenery divided into:

• Eastern US
  • Central US
  • Western US
  • Pacific
  • Caribbean
  • Europe
  • Vector

I turn on all the ones I want when I want.  I have configurations for:

• GA flying
  • Jets
  • Night
  • HDR (an odd one, I know)

Anyway, this saves an ENORMOUS amount of time and pain.  The sim loads much faster since it doesn't need to load everything and it's easy.  I know Orbx can solve this but there are other ways, like Simstarter or another similar tool, to solve it which is actually better. 

There are other tools than SimStarter but it's good and pretty cheap.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I use Scenery Config Editor to ... edit my scenery.cfg.

Pls. note that numerous addon airport developers use the scenery\world\scenery folder to make necessary adjustments, it's not only ORBX. Also bgl files created by MyTraffic influence how your airports are displayed - this technique really isn't ORBX-specific.

a really misleading title...

Why misleading? Seems like a perfectly accurate description of the current situation, providing people take the trouble to read the original post. But then it never takes very long for Orbx fans to pop up when anyone dares to make any observation that is not glowing praise.

Greg,

Regarding the use of SimStarter, it looks like you've had this already installed before any changes to FTX Central. Do you know if this would work in the same way if installed after the changes to FTX Central. I suspect it works through the scenery library, and would probably have the same results described by the OP.

John B

Greg,

Regarding the use of SimStarter, it looks like you've had this already installed before any changes to FTX Central. Do you know if this would work in the same way if installed after the changes to FTX Central. I suspect it works through the scenery library, and would probably have the same results described by the OP.

Absolutely.  You can install it any time and start dividing things up.  I'm thinking about dividing my Europe sceneries up the same way I do North America.  You just come up with a plan on how you want to divide it, make some new sets (e.g. Europe North and Europe South) and then just putting the sceneries into it...doesn't matter if it's cities, regions, or airports...just enable it in the one and disable it in the other.  If I'm flying North to South I just enable both.

Gregg Seipp