Sign in to follow this  
pilotmalte96

737NGX VAS

Hi there,

I have huge problems with the 737 when it comes to the VAS usage. For example with the same settings I have around 2800mb up to 3100mb in the Aerosoft Airbus or in the Majestic Dash 8 Pro. In the PMDG 737 I can't complete a single flight. I use the latest Version of P3D V3 (3.4) on a Win10 Enterprise 64bit with a GTX1070, i7 6700k, 16GB Ram. Add Ons in use are: ORBX Global + ORBX OpenLC NA + TreesHD. The 737 also the latest Version. I only ativate the airports which I am flying too. Mostly FSDT,Flightbeam and Taxi2Gate. If anyone knows how I can get my VAS down, it would be really awesome if you could help me!

Thanks in advance!

If anyone knows how I can get my VAS down, it would be really awesome if you could help me!

Scenery and detail sliders.

I know that seems like I'm pointing the finger elsewhere, but run yourself a test and see how the numbers change. Disable all add-on scenery and load up in the Cessna. Check your VAS use. That's your baseline. Close the sim, load up in the same location but with the NGX. Check your VAS use. Next, activate your various sceneries, using the Cessna and check your VAS. Finally, with some of the scenery enabled, knock one of the detail sliders back one notch and check VAS (after rebooting the sim).

It's convenient to blame the airplane, but it's not quite accurate. Your scenery and sliders are going to be the primary consumers.

Kyle Rodgers

@scandinavian13 Thanks for the Tips! I'll try it. But it somehow has to do something with the Aircraft..otherwise I would get the same Problem with the Airbus or the Dash.. But with these too VAS is about 1000mb lower and far more steady throughout the flight. I'm trying to fix this since about 2 months now.. Can it be because the 737 is not updated for 3.4? Before that I never had any problems...

But it somehow has to do something with the Aircraft..

Of course it does. I never said it didn't. In fact, I said just the opposite, but the concept here isn't something you can break down like that.

VAS is like a bucket. You fill a bunch of that bucket with the sim in general, and then you fill more and more with aircraft, scenery, etc. If it overfills, the sim crashes. The only thing you're proving here is that the Airbus and Dash use less. Heck, if the Dash used enough to put it right at the limit, the NGX using a single byte more would cause a crash, but does that mean the NGX is to blame? I would argue no.

I'll phrase it differently:

The bucket is 1 foot deep. You fill the bucket up to the 4" mark with everything that MS has put into the sim. You then fill it up to 10" with all of the scenery and texture add-ons. The last 2" is left for the aircraft...but if the aircraft makes it all spill over, it's the aircraft's fault? I would argue no.

Can it be because the 737 is not updated for 3.4?

No. This does show a lack of understanding of the problem though. The main issue here is the sim not releasing the scenery you have left behind you hours ago. P3D v3.4 handles this better than it had before, but it still isn't as good as it should be. Meanwhile, more and more scenery is loaded in while the other scenery hasn't been dumped; but the aircraft's VAS use is constant.

Kyle Rodgers

I provided the info that the Airbus and the Dash both use about 1000mb less. Thats pretty much for my understanding. I'm always Monotoring the VAS with the ProjectFly tool. I really like the NGX and I am using it now since about 3 years but as I mentioned before I never had a Problem with the VAS before that specific update. I think I do understand to concept of VAS and how it works. I diddnt knew that the sceneries were not dumped when I would reach my destination. But I still dont get why the OOM Errors appeared so suddenly. Like I said. A Month ago I never had this problem with the exact same settings and scenerys.

There is nothing wrong with 737NGX.   As Kyle said, sliders and scenery.   Yes, the 737 uses up more initial resources than the other aircraft but it's far more complex too and is to be expected.  It's not acting out of the ordinary.  It is performing as intended.  You have to manage your sliders and scenery.

In this example;  I can fly with a LOD of 5.5 with Extreme Scenery Complexity, Autogen Trees and Autogen Buildlings with an Aerosoft A3xx.   

WIth the 737NGX I have to move my LOD to 4.5, pull Scenery Complexity and trees to Very Dense and Buildings to Dense or Normal depending on airport I will be flying into and I fly with 1k texture resolution and my ASCA Cloud art is 512 DXT textures.  There is no avoiding it.  If I don't I will be crashing on approach.

I have FTX Global, HD Trees, OpenLC NA, Pro/ATC-X, Payware Destination and Departure Airports, AI traffic with 50-75 plane limited, A2A Accu-feel, AS2016+ASCA, ChasePlane and few other bells and whistles going on behind the scenes I typically land with 500 megs remaining of VAS which is more than enough safety margin against crashing.

I struggled with VAS a lot and have been very vocal about it in other threads but I finally figured it out.  It finally clicked... you just can't have it all on with certain planes/scenery.   32-bit blows unfortunately and we're not going to see a 64-bit P3D environment for a long while to come so you have to compromise in the mean time.

• Upvote 2

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

If you read the P3D forum, lots of people are having VAS problems with 3.4.9

Problems they did not have with version 3.3.5

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Also reported in the LM forum for P3D.  The 3.4.9 hotfix doesn't seem to address it either.

Dan Downs KCRP

Alright so I figured out that the ASCA Clouds have a huge impact on the VAS. I turned them down to 1024 32-Bit and now it works perfect! About 500mb less VAS with no reducing of the Graphics or LOD

Alright so I figured out that the ASCA Clouds have a huge impact on the VAS. I turned them down to 1024 32-Bit and now it works perfect! About 500mb less VAS with no reducing of the Graphics or LOD

Yep.  Heck, I turned my down to 512 because I like softer looking fluffy clouds and saved even more.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Yep.  Heck, I turned my down to 512 because I like softer looking fluffy clouds and saved even more.

I was thinking about getting ASCA clouds, but I am not sure. How do they stack up with rex soft clouds in terms of VAS usage? I'm not sure its worth making the jump. 

I'm using REX Texture Direct with Soft Clouds, ASCA and AS16 all combined and now it works fine for me with cloud textures et tp 1024x1024 32Bit. I really love the way the clouds look and ASCA has awesome sky colors. 

A thread I made in the AVSIM screen shot forum should speak for themselves about ASCA being worth it.   The short answer.. if you have AS16.. YES!  I used REX Soft Clouds for a long time but they are now shelved in favor of ASCA.   VAS is no issue for me.   Now in those screen caps I was using 2k textures and that is ALL 2k textures get used for; screen caps!  When I fly I only use 512 textures and they still look stunning with little VAS hit, even in heavy weather.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/496696-asca-clouds-amazing-work/

100454.png

Brian Navy