Sign in to follow this  

Some Suggestions For The Mighty PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster.

Hi there,

I love the DC-6, I really do.  However, no product is perfect (but this is very close, as always is the case with PMDG!  :lol: )  and I have some suggestions for areas that can be improved.  These are both my suggestions and others that I have heard from others since it's release and I have decided to put them into one place so that PMDG might take a look and we might see some of these features in the near future!  As a kind disclaimer, I have not been able to fly the DC-6 in a while due to some problems with my computer so some of my "suggestions" may have been already been implemented.  I also don't have the best knowledge off the aircraft at the moment so I don't know a large amount about the aircraft at the moment so if I say something that is wrong, please be nice about correcting me.

1. The ability to control throttles during parts where it is controlled by the artificial flight engineer would be nice, such as in descent.  I am suggesting an option to take control from the AFE and manage the throttles myself and then also be able to give the throttles back to the AFE with the push of a button... (Yes, I know you can turn off the AFE but I may still want it on and maintaining everything while I have control of the throttles.
  2. The ability to fix engines, props and oil and perhaps fuel during flight.  I personally don't wan't this feature but, I know a few people who do want features like this.  (This may not be possible due to some very good reason that the developers at PMDG may say and thats fine by me.)
  3. please add suggestions!  I had more but I have forgotten...  :help:  me to remember!

The ability to control throttles during parts where it is controlled by the artificial flight engineer would be nice, such as in descent.  I am suggesting an option to take control from the AFE and manage the throttles myself and then also be able to give the throttles back to the AFE with the push of a button... (Yes, I know you can turn off the AFE but I may still want it on and maintaining everything while I have control of the throttles.

You anwered your own request here: turn off the AFE. The only other thing he's managing during this time is the carb heat. If you want to run the throttles, then running the carb heat isn't too much more to handle. This isn't a Cessna or a Boeing. You don't chop and drop. You set the throttle (as the AFE does) and accept the descent rate that you get, and/or pick up speed in the process.

The ability to fix engines, props and oil and perhaps fuel during flight.  I personally don't wan't this feature but, I know a few people who do want features like this.  (This may not be possible due to some very good reason that the developers at PMDG may say and thats fine by me.)

This is already the case. In fact, allowing this is one of the things a few streamers took shots at us for.

Kyle Rodgers

You anwered your own request here: turn off the AFE. The only other thing he's managing during this time is the carb heat. If you want to run the throttles, then running the carb heat isn't too much more to handle. This isn't a Cessna or a Boeing. You don't chop and drop. You set the throttle (as the AFE does) and accept the descent rate that you get, and/or pick up speed in the process.

This is already the case. In fact, allowing this is one of the things a few streamers took shots at us for.

Thanks Kyle! Sorry for being a massive noob!

Thanks Kyle! Sorry for being a massive noob!

No worries. Thanks for offering your thoughts!

Kyle Rodgers

I have one more question however, if you are using the AFE during descent and are doing a step descent, how do you maintain that altitude without descending,  I thought you would just use the cruise mode in the AFE but then you might descend shortly after and then you initiate the descent AFE again.  Although this works it is not the best system.  Is there a better way to do this?

I have one more question however, if you are using the AFE during descent and are doing a step descent, how do you maintain that altitude without descending,  I thought you would just use the cruise mode in the AFE but then you might descend shortly after and then you initiate the descent AFE again.  Although this works it is not the best system.  Is there a better way to do this?

A step in a descent is essentially just another cruise segment. That's the reality of the situation in the real world. Not just saying that to make it fit with the AFE. I'm not entirely sure why you say that it's not the best solution. What experience are you basing this off of?

Kyle Rodgers

I suggest one learns to fly the aircraft and manage all the knobs without the AFE.  Sure, you might end up hitting pause once in awhile to catch up but the point is to learn the aircraft.  Only use the AFE during your first few hours learning to fly and then not again until you can manage without and only as an aid.  You cannot rely on the AFE as you would system automation in a modern airliner.

We didn't have the AFE until the later stages of testing, and at first I didn't want to use it. Took all the fun out of it but one does realize the necessity soon enough.

Dan Downs KCRP