Sign in to follow this  
Axlsys

Usb graphics adapter - are they any good?

Hi, I want to add a 3rd monitor to my system, my current graphics card is only able to run 2 monitors and I am on quite a tight budget. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the usb to vga adaptors? It would be used for guages.

Thanks

Hi, I want to add a 3rd monitor to my system, my current graphics card is only able to run 2 monitors and I am on quite a tight budget. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the usb to vga adaptors? It would be used for guages.

Thanks

Looking around the Net it appears that they generally work but are nothing special. If you get one, definitely go for USB 3.0 if your system can take it.

However, if you're on a tight budget you can get a GeForce GT 710 usually for less than the cost of a USB graphics adapter and it will give you performance similar to CPU integrated graphics. Whilst I can't find any direct comparrisons, I'd be very surprised if a USB adapter gave better performance than a card plugged directly into a PCI-E slot.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I haven't checked, but I'm fairly confident that the USB throughput (bandwidth) is not going to keep up with your graphics card. I say this in case you're looking to use three monitors for the sim itself.

I ran the sim in three monitors for several years, and as my addons requiring desktop space grew I went back to using one monitor for the sim and two for addons.  I absolutely don't miss running the sim on three monitors, not at all, even before I went to a 4K TV for my main monitor.

Today, running on a measly GTX960, I'm using a 55 inch 4K TV over HDMI, and three 23 inch monitors. That's 4 total, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

4K TV       P3D or FSX

Monitor 1  VATSPY runs on one monitor,

Monitor 2  Group Voice Client and Electronic Flight Bag

Monitor 3  Stream related software, Vpilot, Web Browser

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have a two-monitor setup with a GT730 graphics card and use a USB graphics adapter to run the second monitor. I display the sim on the first monitor and any gauges, ATC, apps, flow guides etc on the second monitor. It works fine in that setup. I have never tried to extend the sim across both monitors so don't know how that would go.

BTW - the adapter cost me £21 on Amazon - pretty cheap and its never let me down.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Thanks for the advice guys, its very much appreciated.

Rupert, do you have a make/model of your adapter please?

Thanks

If you're going to buy one of these make sure it supports DirectX and then roll the dice. Or if you have a spare slot, buy another VGA card for £25 and you can be 99.99% certain it will work.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks for the advice guys, its very much appreciated.

Rupert, do you have a make/model of your adapter please?

Thanks

Sorry, my USB adapter is a non-branded unit but it uses the driver "Trigger II External Graphics". My receipt doesn't give brand name or model either, just a description. Whatever its called, it was £20.95 three years ago and it's worked for me and if you cant get a VGA card to suit then its worth a try. My PC wouldn't take another VGA card so it was my cheapest option.

Hope you get something sorted whatever solution you choose.

Best

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert