Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What's the most unstable software on your P3D setup?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  It amazes me sometimes that some software like the PMDG 777, the Aerosoft A320 and FSUIPC are amazingly stable. Other software, not so much. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 issues happen on a day that go weird or cause a crash.  Some of us spend a good part of our sim lives fixing things.  It's at least mildly infuriating when you're setting up for a flight and realize you're going to have to restart or you're in flight and 'BAM!'...crash.  For me, in the order of problems they give:

• Flight1 Mustang (one of my favorite airplanes)...hangs, sudden crashes of the sim. 
  • EZDok (which, I know, there's a replacement coming) which gives errors at startup and crashes (which don't take down the sim).
  • My old MCP Combo I which I badly need to replace...verging on junk.

What gives you headaches?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  It amazes me sometimes that some software like the PMDG 777, the Aerosoft A320 and FSUIPC are amazingly stable. Other software, not so much. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 issues happen on a day that go weird or cause a crash.  Some of us spend a good part of our sim lives fixing things.  It's at least mildly infuriating when you're setting up for a flight and realize you're going to have to restart or you're in flight and 'BAM!'...crash.  For me, in the order of problems they give:

• Flight1 Mustang (one of my favorite airplanes)...hangs, sudden crashes of the sim. 
  • EZDok (which, I know, there's a replacement coming) which gives errors at startup and crashes (which don't take down the sim).
  • My old MCP Combo I which I badly need to replace...verging on junk.

What gives you headaches?

The only software I have that is on your list is Ezdok, which shows me no problems at all. very stable. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

The only software I have that is on your list is Ezdok, which shows me no problems at all. very stable.

I love EZDok and wouldn't fly without it.  It was stable until I upgraded to P3D 3.x.  Usually if it causes a problem it's right at start up.  It doesn't cause the sim to crash, though, so it's a mild nuisance.  Software that causes crashes of the sim do not last very long on my computer. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Flight simulation is in a league of its own when it comes to all the possible issues that crop up. Ezdok would be close to the top of my list for problematic addons. I don't use it any more thankfully now that I'm in VR.

The biggest single headache I've have had is trying to push old computer hardware further than it was designed to go with overclocking. The random crashes for me have been traced back to overclocking old hardware.

You could try going back to basics. Do some GA flying in a cessna or piper in regional areas that don't stress the computer much and stay well in the VAS limit. Get your confidence with your equipment back up so that you have a base line.

I love EZDok and wouldn't fly without it.  It was stable until I upgraded to P3D 3.x.  Usually if it causes a problem it's right at start up.  It doesn't cause the sim to crash, though, so it's a mild nuisance.  Software that causes crashes of the sim do not last very long on my computer. 

I ran EZDok for a long time but like you, got fed up with all the crashes, even though it didn't take FSX with it. I replaced it with Opus FSX, which gives the view options and also bases head movement on the actual movement of the aircraft rather than it being randomised.

I might replace that with ChasePlane, though, after a while (I prefer to avoid early adoption :smile: ), because I use ASN for weather and it seems a bit much to be using Opus just for the views.

Have you tried installing the latest version of EZdok?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Flight1 Mustang (one of my favorite airplanes)...hangs, sudden crashes of the sim.

I have the Mustang in P3Dv3, too. It never has failed me as far as I remember, to be honest.

The software that proved to be most unstable up to date is P3D itself. And most of the time this is if I crank up my settings to an unreasonable level when sooner or later I ran OOM or out of VAS (with all OrbX and Vector stuff installed).

Admitted, I do not run much other complex software next to P3D than a weather engine (FSGRW) and the more or less complex addon aircraft itself (AS Airbuses, A2A Aircraft, F1 Mustang, iFly Boeing Series).

However, I have observed P3D crashing upon weather injection from time to time (1 out of 30 flights maybe). I have not yet invested time to get an idea about where from this is coming exactly as it does not happen too often.

Cheers

Frank

Windows 10 which insists on protecting me from myself.

• Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I have the Mustang in P3Dv3, too. It never has failed me as far as I remember, to be honest.

I get hangs on startup.  They've never figured out why.  Even tried reinstalling my sim with that the only add on.  Wish I knew why.  But I also get crashes from the G1000 in various ways.  I love the plane but the problems...( sad to say but, I would absolutely love it if someone would do a remake).

Gregg Seipp

I get hangs on startup.  They've never figured out why.  Even tried reinstalling my sim with that the only add on.  Wish I knew why.  But I also get crashes from the G1000 in various ways.  I love the plane but the problems...( sad to say but, I would absolutely love it if someone would do a remake).

I am sorry to hear, Greg. I assume you do use the latest version (1.11 from August this year). I absolutely love this small beauty. The only thing that annoys me is balancing the payload of the AC. It's not  transparent and not explained at all in the manuals; you have to pull out a calculator and half guess rather then enter correct weights to keep the balance. But that's for a different post.

Regards

Frank

I am sorry to hear, Greg. I assume you do use the latest version (1.11 from August this year). I absolutely love this small beauty. The only thing that annoys me is balancing the payload of the AC. It's not transparent and not explained at all in the manuals; you have to pull out a calculator and half guess rather then enter correct weights to keep the balance. But that's for a different post.

Regards

Frank

Oh, it's better than no Mustang.  Still the best LJ available.  I have a weight and balance calculator I got from Blink ages ago. 

http://mustang.flight1.net/forums/weight-and-balance_topic386.html

If I recall there's a small trick to getting it set up but it's easy and a nice tool.

Gregg Seipp

Gregg,

there is simply no way to completely avoid crashes when so many addons communicate through SimConnect. It's the price to pay.

For the records, I had my first crash when using Pro-ATC/X 1.8.0.5 yesterday, which does not mean it was necessarily caused by Pro-ATC/X. I loaded the Saved situation today and completed the flight.

Hope this helps.

Gregg,

there is simply no way to completely avoid crashes when so many addons communicate through SimConnect. It's the price to pay.

For the records, I had my first crash when using Pro-ATC/X 1.8.0.5 yesterday, which does not mean it was necessarily caused by Pro-ATC/X. I loaded the Saved situation today and completed the flight.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, some are worse than others.  I remember I used to have a lot of crashes from that AI Traffic app and I ended up removing it...just the app, not the sim.  I think having good exception handling in the connected app is important.  Good to know about ProATC/X.  Did it take down your sim or just itself?

Gregg Seipp

Yeah, some are worse than others.  I remember I used to have a lot of crashes from that AI Traffic app and I ended up removing it...just the app, not the sim.  I think having good exception handling in the connected app is important.  Good to know about ProATC/X.  Did it take down your sim or just itself?

Well, the crash by definition takes your sim down. The good news is that with 1.8.0.5 you can restart it even one day later and complete your flight. It saves a file in Pro-ATC/X itself and three files in your sim called LastProATCX.

Well, the crash by definition takes your sim down. The good news is that with 1.8.0.5 you can restart it even one day later and complete your flight. It saves a file in Pro-ATC/X itself and three files in your sim called LastProATCX.

Sometimes an add on crashes without taking down the sim, but I get it.  Good that you can restart(!) and also good that that was your only crash.

Gregg Seipp