Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

Help! Need some trouble shooting...

Alright folks, I need some help.I was having the same (and similar) problems the last couple weeks and finally re-installed FS9 and reinstalled all my add-on planes, sceneries, utilities, etc.Worked fine....for a couple days, and today everything 'went haywire' again. Not sure if it is an add-on scenery, utility, aircraft...or what.Some shots of my problem are included, but at times it is much worse, and I get no textures at all; only pastel color polygons, or some my intruments missing, or, 'blank' planes, (and/or as seen here) only part of the objects within the sceneries and either nothing shown, or these 'white blocks'. I have a feeling these are mostly autogen scenery objects doing this, but I can't be sure....havn't designed any scenery for about 9 years now. The trees along the default runway at Tacoma are missing, as you can see, and that is a 'tip-off' that something keeps getting messed up.Before starting any flight, I do go to the default flight first, then change to my 'add-on' aircraft from there, then a planned flight, or whatever.Here are also some of my add-on programs I use (the freeware add-on scenery does not show-up here for the most part, nor do all my planes)along with some systen info. Lately I have been flying in the scandanavian area with a few Finland airport sceneries, Sweden airports, and a Norway airport package. I am usually flying either my Eaglesoft Cirrus, or Dreamfleet Bonanza. My add-on sceneries are well organized into folders for each country so I can add and remove them fairly easily....but note that this is happening in the default Tacoma scenery as well, with only the FSGenisis mesh included. I always use Active Sky, but tried rebooting and using without and no luck. Anyway, here is some programs within FS:System Information report written at: 11/25/05 16:40:39System Name:Item ValueOS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionVersion 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600OS Manufacturer Microsoft CorporationSystem NameSystem Manufacturer Dell Inc.System Model Dimension 8400System Type X86-based PCProcessor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2992 MhzProcessor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2992 MhzBIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 7/15/2005SMBIOS Version 2.3Windows Directory C:WINDOWSSystem Directory C:WINDOWSsystem32Boot Device DeviceHarddiskVolume2Locale United StatesHardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"Time Zone Eastern Standard TimeTotal Physical Memory 2,048.00 MBAvailable Physical Memory 1.56 GBTotal Virtual Memory 2.00 GBAvailable Virtual Memory 1.96 GBPage File Space 5.85 GBPage File C:pagefile.sysResource DeviceI/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI busI/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controllerI/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF Intel® 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON X300 SeriesIRQ 21 Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658IRQ 21 Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265CIRQ 16 Intel® 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585IRQ 16 RADEON X300 SeriesIRQ 16 Intel® 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2660IRQ 16 Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit ControllerIRQ 16 Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI ControllerIRQ 17 Intel® 82801FB/FBM PCI Express Root Port - 2662IRQ 17 Sound Blaster Live! 24-bitMemory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF Intel® 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xD7FFFFFF RADEON X300 SeriesIRQ 18 Intel® 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265AIRQ 18 Intel® 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem #2Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI busMemory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel® 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON X300 SeriesI/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB Intel® 925X PCI Express Root Port - 2585I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON X300 SeriesCODEC Manufacturer Description Status File Version Size Creation Datec:windowssystem32tsccvid.dll TechSmith Corporation TechSmith Screen Capture Codec OK C:WINDOWSsystem32TSCCVID.DLL 2.0.4 108.00 KB (110,592 bytes) 2/21/2005 7:05 PMc:windowssystem32msyuv.dll Microsoft Corporation OK C:WINDOWSsystem32MSYUV.DLL 5.3.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) 17.00 KB (17,408 bytes) 8/3/2004 8:56 PMc:windowssystem32iccvid.dll Radius Inc. OK C:WINDOWSsystem32ICCVID.DLL 1.10.0.11 78.50 KB (80,384 bytes) 8/12/2004 9:57 AMc:windowssystem32ir32_32.dll Intel® Corporation Indeo

>Alright folks, I need some help.(CUT)Probably I have a workaround for you.The same thing used to happen to me.It's caused by some kind of memory management problem by (most likely) FS, leading to both texture and video memory dropping to zero.Do these 2 things:1) Enter BIOS and increase your AGP aperture size to 256MB at least. This does not remove the problem completely, but delays its appearing;2) Download ATI Tray Tools from here and install them:http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733Go to "Tools & Options"->"OSD"Under "OSD" tab, check "Enable OnScreen Display"Under "FlashOSD" tab, check "Show all time", "Hide", "Free Video Memory" and "Free Texture Memory";Go to the "Hot Keys->Miscellaneous" menu, and assign "Reload display drivers" to a key-combination NOT USED by FS2004 (I have mine at CTRL+SHIFT+R);In the "Hot Keys->OSD" menu, assign "Hide/Show FlashOSD" to another key-combination NOT USED by FS2004 (I have mine at CTRL+SHIFT+D) and check "Enable Hot Keys";While flying, you can use "Hide/Show FlashOSD" hotkeys to display free Texture and Video memory. You'll notice that it decreases while flying, and when both values reach zero, the problem you described appears.Every time it happens, do a "Reload display drivers" using hotkeys. It frees up again texture and video memory, and the problem should be gone. The process of reloading drivers freezes PC for a pair of seconds. Sometimes 2 or 3 subsequent reloadings free more memory than a single reloading. You can display free video memory before critical phases of flight (approach, etc.) to check if you're close to memory starvation and, in case, do a reload.Hope this helps.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hi Marco,Thanks for the reply. I'll download this tool and check it out.Also, my video card is a PCI card (the darn 330 'stock' Dell card...gotta replace this one of these days) , is there a setting for that in the bios as well? I take it the AGP aperture is for a AGP install?....I'm having a hard time getting in the site for the download, keep telling me I'm inputting the security code incorectly for download...Geez, I must be going blind ;)I'll keep trying...

>Also, my video card is a PCI card (the darn 330 'stock' Dell>card...gotta replace this one of these days) , is there a>setting for that in the bios as well? I take it the AGP>aperture is for a AGP install?Yeah, I have an AGP card, so actually I don't know if there is an analogue setting in the BIOS for PCI-E.>....I'm having a hard time getting in the site for the>download, keep telling me I'm inputting the security code>incorectly for download...Geez, I must be going blind ;)That's strange, try to google "Ati Tray Tools" and see if you can find it in other websites. If you still can't find how to download ATT, I can email them to you.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have it downloaded and working.Have not checked the BIOS yet for any PCI settings.But releasing the memory did not change a thing really.For your info, my VM at start-up is about 105, TM is about 538. Releasing it takes the VM up to about 119, and TM up a bit, but nothing earth shattering. Not sure how this relates to your settings, but my numbers are not close to zero.Thing is, after reinstalling everything (FS and all files), FS ran 'as new'; And it took more than one flight to see this happen again. But once this happens, I can't seem to get rid of it, and I'm not in the mood to go through another clean install right now. A video card problem seems to make sense, but I'm not convinced it is the problem, as I ran FS for months before this started happening. I even 'dialed down' all my display settings, but 'no go'.....note: all this without using Active Sky or any third party aircraft.I also disabled all the various european scenery add-ons I have installed, rebooted, and nothing changed. This last month/month and a half is the first time I have installed so many airport sceneries, and this just wasn't happening prior to that. Prior to this European 'swing', I spent a month flying around Alaska with FSGenesis and the Dreamfleet Bonanza, and never had a 'hiccup'(other than low frame rates occassionally); And that was in some pretty intensive scenery and weather all at once.I'm stumped.

>For your info, my VM at start-up is about 105, TM is about>538. Releasing it takes the VM up to about 119, and TM up a>bit, but nothing earth shattering. Not sure how this relates>to your settings, but my numbers are not close to zero.It's a lot of memory, no need to change anything inside BIOS.I don't know what to say... if I understood correctly, you still have plenty of free memory WHEN the problem of disappearing texture appears, is it right?What version of Catalyst drivers do you have? Try to update them...Marco

My driver version is 6.14.10.6525, yea, I think I'm OK as far as memory is concerned. And even if that could be a temprary problem, it suould be cured by a re-boot to refresh things...no?I took the Cessna back up around Seattle, at various scenery complexities, and here are a couple observations....What seems to be going 'in and out', missing, 'flashing', fading, and 'scrolling' are the scenery objects. For instance, when I set the objects to their highest level I know there should be some trees seen to my left at the threshold. But they are not there. But when I slew over to where they should be, my Cessana dissapears as I go 'thru' where they are located....but you cannot see them.Now, that said, I did loose most all my textures today when the problem reappeared; The textures were missing.Here are a couple more interesting photo's, I left these at a larger size. Note the 'Pan' combo I added. As I sat in slew mode pointed at a group of buldings/hanger and panned the group, the buiding either disappeared or became visible as I panned the scene. Strange.I tell ya, I've been simming for over 12 years off and on, and this is the first time I have encountered this type of problem. Usually if a scenery was causing a problem, (as example), you got rid of it and problem was solved, or if you had a video card issue, it was a fairly consistant issue, not like this where things just go bizzerk within a very short period of time.....but maybe I should remove my card and reinstall it to see if there is an issue, then reinstall the drivers fresh.Here are a couple more screen shots:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/134064.jpg

Well, surely it's not a memory issue then. I thought you had the problem not in a consistent manner, but (as me) only after flying for a while.I don't know what to say.... Try to defrag your HD, or if you have access to another video card for a trial...

Yea, I defraged last night. Something I tend to do often.Trying to figure this out is like trying to find a 'needle in the haystacck'. At least for me.I'm backing everything up right now, and if I don't get an answer, I might just bite the bullet and reload fresh...again.But I hate to say it, I doubt I will put much additional scenery on the system what-so-ever besides FSGenesis and the ol'Ohio scenery I was involved with many many moons ago. I'm also tempted to keep aircraft to a minimum as well. I may be completely wrong, but I think an add-on has something to do with what is going on here.I'm getting my CH yoke and pedals (first time since I've simmed) in a couple days, and I want to fly, not mess around with the program ;)Frustrating.

>Well, surely it's not a memory issue then. I thought you had>the problem not in a consistent manner, but (as me) only after>flying for a while.>>I don't know what to say.... Try to defrag your HD, or if you>have access to another video card for a trial...>Whelp Marco, I found the problem, I think, but not necessarily the cause, as this has happened more than once.One of my tree textures, (TreeU.BMP I believe), somehow lost the 'P' in .BMPI put the 'P' back on the file (which sits in the main texture folder) and everything was back to normal. Not sure how that is happening, unless a scenery I have been flying in has tried to change this texture somehow....I don't know if it's possible for a .bgl scenery file to include a 'batch file' of some sort to change main textures into a custom file for that scenery area only??That is what all those white 'forms' were, places where the trees were suppose to be...so when their location was in front of a building, or whatever, it simply 'showed' as either a white polygon from afar, or a blank space up close in front of another object.Strange. I figured these 'forms' were where the trees were suppose to be, but I could not figure out why they were not showing.Now....the issue may still exist as to why this has happened/is happening. But at least I know what to look for. Thing is, when it initially happens I loose a lot of texture (aircraft exterior/interior,ground, pavement, etc.) then this happens.I can't imagine this is a hardware issue.That said, thanks for the link to the 'Tray Tools', I'm going to keep it installed and use it a bit more.