Sign in to follow this  
computer20

what CPU and GPU can handle with oculus

my computer i5 4590. Gtx1060 6Gb.RAM 16Gb DDR3 1866.

I Going to buy oculus,but I am not sure my computer can handle VR with settings medium。I have orbx global orbx NA and orbx airport,REX and as2016,PMDG 737 777.is it can handle and keed 50pfs ?

Hi,

you should head over to flyinside forums. You will need the flyinside plugin for FSX/P3D. As a tip, you should aim for 30FPS.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Go over to the flyinside forums because I don't know for sure, but I think that unless you change the way you fly and lower your expectations, I think you are going to be disappointed. If you want to fly the same was as you did before on flat-panel with ORBX and complex models and the whole lot of addons you want, you are going to need a 1080 and a DDR4 generation motherboard and overclocked i7 CPU setup.

I would try first with what you have. I had a i5-3570k (overclocked) together with an R9-290x and it was sufficient for the Rift, Settings in P3D don't need to be that high because of the resolution in the Rift. The 3d experience was great but I'm back on my monitor now because of that, I kept focusing on the RGB cells within the pixels ;) ...joking, but you can see them if you look closely. You gonna need FlyInside for shure.

kind regards

You would be still using be in VR if you had a powerful enough GPU (1080) that can drive 4 x supersampling in Flyinside which helps a lot with improving the visual experience and makes it acceptable. Anything lower than 4xsupersampling is not good enough for running Orbx scenery in my opinion.

You really need to overclock at 4.2 Ghz or better in order to get good enough fps. A way of estimating just what FPS you can expect is to set zoom to 0.3 which approximates the field of view, see what fps that is in your situation of interest, and then reduce that to one third (e.g. 90 /3  = 30) since you have to generate two views (left/right eyes) and add in a fudge factor for SuperSampling. Flyinside supports ATW (maybe ASW now??) so you can still get the 90fps to the Rift/Vive that is required for fast head movement judder removal but you will still notice the slight stepping of the scene especially looking sideways due to the lower frame rate of the actual simulation.

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

You really need to overclock at 4.2 Ghz or better in order to get good enough fps. A way of estimating just what FPS you can expect is to set zoom to 0.3 which approximates the field of view, see what fps that is in your situation of interest, and then reduce that to one third (e.g. 90 /3  = 30) since you have to generate two views (left/right eyes) and add in a fudge factor for SuperSampling. Flyinside supports ATW (maybe ASW now??) so you can still get the 90fps to the Rift/Vive that is required for fast head movement judder removal but you will still notice the slight stepping of the scene especially looking sideways due to the lower frame rate of the actual simulation.

Dave

where to set zoom to 0.3 and how ?

@computer20,

You said: "where to set zoom to 0.3 and how ? "

Hit the "-" key and look in the upper right hand corner for the text in red until it says "0.30 Zoom" - then hit "Shift -Z" until you get a Frames/sec readout. Of course, that is after having set Frame Rate Controls (target frame rate slider) to "unlimited" for the testing (temporarily). I usually set that same control to a fixed 30 when using the Oculus.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Just passing along some of my testing in case you are curious..

Short story here is that i moved from an ivy bridge hex core to a 6700k, now running at 4.7ghz and using ddr4 over ddr3.. now at 3466.. the ddr4 plus increase in speed gave me quite a few fps (say 8+) gain over ivy.

Graphic card wise, i started with a base of the 980ti.. moved onto the 1080 ftw hybrid eventually  (questionable difference in performance).. tried the 1080 in sli with another 1080.. no gains, in fact added bad head stutter when panning with your head as you look around.. so SLI was out for me.  Also the 1080 non hybrid (hybrid is watercooled), was hitting close to or at the threshold of 83C, this new card (the hybrid) never goes above 49, amazing cooling.

All that said, my worst case situation has me at around 18 fps at chicago midway with us cities x activated (about 26 without it activated) with 3 layers of clouds and rain.. with orbx areas like kors.. i'm sitting around 24-27 fps with full rain/3 layers of clouds.  This is all with the frame rate locked at 48.. i found the ground micro stutters if i dont lock the frame rate instead of unlimited.  In general, fair weather, even like NYCX, i see about 37/93 for the sim/atw rates and this is fully loaded with UT2 at 70/30 and other addons active (GEX, UTX, FTX areas, tons of other addon scenery areas).  I also run SSD, this keeps load times, if i break the scenery down into large regions at around 2min 30 sec, vs around 4min if i load the whole scenery library (vs like 11 min when i was on a standard hard drive before this year).

I do NOT run with with 4SGSS.. if i did this, i found that my frame rate dipped quite a bit.. and so long as i set the flyinsidefsx res to 3840 it wasnt that bad in terms of shimmer and jaggies.. 4SGSS would also kill the ATW (async. time warp rate), which needs to be near 90 to avoid stutter in general.  Sure the 4SGSS does look a tad better, but the rate ends up say at 34/60.  It was a shame i couldnt get SLI working with the head stutter, because it kept the async rate at 90, while the sim was basically the same, maybe 1 fps better.

Incidentally, i have both the Vive and Rift.. i found the rift to be much sharper than the vive.. so for me it was an easy choice to stick with the rift for simming.

Links:

P3D VR experiences thread

980ti vs 1080

1080 FTW sli tests

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

@computer20,

You said: "where to set zoom to 0.3 and how ? "

Hit the "-" key and look in the upper right hand corner for the text in red until it says "0.30 Zoom" - then hit "Shift -Z" until you get a Frames/sec readout. Of course, that is after having set Frame Rate Controls (target frame rate slider) to "unlimited" for the testing (temporarily). I usually set that same control to a fixed 30 when using the Oculus.

thank you so much

thank you for all..