Sign in to follow this  
Afterburner

VAS Advice if you are using ORBX OpenLC & Vector

Hi there,

It is known that running ORBX Vector with everything activated can consume a lot of VAS - especially in big cities.

I ran into an issue today that I wanted to show you. I have figured out that even if I have everything disabled in the Vector configurator, deactivating the Vector entries in the scenery library PLUS deactivating the OpenLC lights gives me 200 MB more VAS despite no difference in visuals. This is an important piece of information for those who have disabled all features in the Vector configurator, but still have all Vector components activated in the scenery library. Deactivating one of the two add-ons (deactivating OpenLC lights while leaving Vector active or vice versa) saves about 100 MB.

I have provided a video below where I demonstrate the effect. I have no clue why the VAS savings is so significant if I do what is shown in the video.

So, could you do the same thing as in the video and test the VAS numbers on your system and tell me what effect it has for you?  This might be a good way to save VAS if you struggle with it.

Nice find.  It'll help us folks that are hitting the VAS wall at complex airports.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

If you've disabled all Vector items in the configurator, disabling the scenery library entries should only further remove the coastlines/waterbodies etc. The new OpenLC lights are very heavy both FPS and VAS wise. Nice looking though.

If you've disabled all Vector items in the configurator, disabling the scenery library entries should only further remove the coastlines/waterbodies etc.

I didn't know that. I though that disabling all features in the configurator would be equivalent to deactivating Vector altogether.

Yeah  - noticed that also when i was testing the OPENLCNA with and without lights

So remember - even in daylight to deactivate the lights

Vector needs to be removed as stated in the library

But great info

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Yeah - noticed that also when i was testing the OPENLCNA with and without lights

So remember - even in daylight to deactivate the lights

That is good to know! Thanks for the info.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

So dumb question.  What's the point of having OpenLC if you are just going to deactivate it?  Just curious. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

So dumb question.  What's the point of having OpenLC if you are just going to deactivate it?  Just curious. 

I believe he is referring to just deactivating the OpenLC lights which I can agree with if you are not flying at night as they are still using up VAS during the day.

I don't really get the whole deactivating of Vector.  Why even have it if you deactivate everything??  Maybe I'm missing something??

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

That's correct, I did not deactivate the OpenLC landclasses themselves, but only the lights.

As far as Vector, some want to deactivate it to save on VAS. I have just shown that it is not sufficient to disable all features in the configurator to deactivate this add-on - you need to deactivate it in the scenery library.

I use Simstarter and one of my starts is No Regions, I have it set to disable any region I am flying in and leave only Vector and Global and addon airports. The difference in VAS savings with the regions off is large.

An example, I did a flight with a CS 737-200 from FSDT KLAX to default Las Vegas with Vector (low settings), FTX Global, SCA region, NA LC and AS2016, my net VAS at KLAS was 900mb. I recreated the same flight with saved modes with just SCA turned off and my net VAS was 1400mb.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

That's a lot of VAS savings. I have figured out that OpenLC itself (without the lights) consumes actually very little additional VAS compared to default, which is a good thing. It's Vector (with everything activated) and the regions that can be huge VAS hogs.

With P3D the real killer is LOD radius and the longer flight is the worse. That is why I never set it above default 4.5 and I can fly pmdg triple 7 between complex airports and using main vector roads and beaches without issues. It's about finding the right balance. Another hog is Ai traffic. Autogen does not create big difference in my case. And never use 4k clouds.

But disabling lights or vector entries completely? If you are hitting VAS limit in v3 that means you went too far with expectations when pushing sliders.

I have my LOD set at 6.5 no issues with long flights in 777 and balanced settings.

Only addons i have

Ftx global

Ftx ultimate Global mesh

Vector

And a few airport addons from fsdt flytampa aerosoft

As16

Ut2

Rex td

That it, and all is well.

For those of you who haver vas issues lower your settings and take it easy on installing so many addons.

Cheers

Mike