Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

Back to X Plane, quick question concerning the scenery

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

I've been a vivid XPX user, but I've uninstalled it quite a while ago, because I ran out of HDD space on my SSD setup, and I wanted to use P3D, along with FSX.

Now, in preparation of X Plane 11, which I've already preordered, I've uninstalled FSX and reinstalled XPX (10.50 r3) along with my favorite airliners in their current state (IXEG 737, FF 767, FJS 727 and 737).

The sim is in a quite vanilla state right now and performs great.

I mainly fly over Europe, and back then, I used OSM Europe + autogen, european library, HD mesh v3 and Urban MAXX 3D.

The ground textures changed quite a bit, and I like them now, so I won't install Urban Maxx again. But I miss the european/german looking facade and the highway signs, etc.

Which is the quickest and easiest way to get typical european facade back into 10.50 (HD mesh v3 is no option, as it performs quite poorly on my older machine)?

Thanks in advance.

You can always go for World2XP sceneries from SimHeaven, but given XP11 is knocking at your door in just a few weeks, maybe the bet will be to wait for the release :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guest Mik75

You can always go for World2XP sceneries from SimHeaven, but given XP11 is knocking at your door in just a few weeks, maybe the bet will be to wait for the release :-)

That's the thing. I don't want to spend too much time with installing various sceneries into XPX.

The quicker, the better.

I've never used World2XP, so I have no idea what the process of installing it is like.

Do I simply need 2 files, the world models and the europe mix version of w2xp?

Which is the quickest and easiest way to get typical european facade back into 10.50 (HD mesh v3 is no option, as it performs quite poorly on my older machine)?

HD Mesh Scenery v3 has nothing to to with the look of the art assets (the look of facades is art asset too)! It does not bring any new or old or different artwork (scenery / objects / autogen) and uses exactly the same stuff as the default Global Scenery. Mesh Scenery "only" brings the complete geometric structure of the entire landscape (mesh structure, object locations, vectors, polygons etc.) ....

And about performance: if you also used OSM Europe, then its more likely that that was your main performance hog (even though, HD Mesh Scenery v3 puts its own share of load on the system too ... of course).

And about performance: if you also used OSM Europe, then its more likely that that was your main performance hog (even though, HD Mesh Scenery v3 puts its own share of load on the system too ... of course).

From my experience, HD Mesh v3 is much more performance friendly than OSM Europe. So if your system struggles with HD Mesh v3 then most likely it will not be able to run OSM Europe.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Do I simply need 2 files, the world models and the europe mix version of w2xp?

It's just a step up from the older OSM2XP sceneries you've used (It has better buildings and more POIs). Simheaven have also added things like boats, train stations, etc.

You can install the libraries it needs and lots of other sceneries by using the Library Installer. Using the library installer you are set to use most sceneries on x-plane.org that require libraries. However if you mostly fly jets, you'd be best of without OSM/W2XP scenery as it's most defunct at 30,000 feet. It does make for some pretty approaches, but really only works well IMO with photoscenery.

As jcomm said, wait till XP11. That has some very nice autogen for Europe and might be all you need.

Guest Mik75

Thanks for all your input. I used OSM and HD mesh v2 (for the mesh and the more precise object placement) with fantastic results on my old install. i fly tubeliners 95% of the time, but i love decent scenery during departure and approach. and i just don't like the american facade in Europe. So, I'll give w2xp (world models and europe mix) a go. These two files are all I need for it?

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Guest Mik75

One more question though:

If I would only like to have european facade in Europe, would the world models of w2xp work with the otherwise default and untouched XPX 10.50 scenery?

So, I'll give w2xp (world models and europe mix) a go.

Would be nice if you could provide some feedback on performance once you have that up and running. I have very poor performance with W2XP scenery when flying the IXEG. Just tried this morning and I can't get past 17 fps which is not acceptable. So I'm going to stick with HD Mesh v3 which has minimal performance impact on my system.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Would be nice if you could provide some feedback on performance once you have that up and running. I have very poor performance with W2XP scenery when flying the IXEG. Just tried this morning and I can't get past 17 fps which is not acceptable. So I'm going to stick with HD Mesh v3 which has minimal performance impact on my system.

I have bad performance with W2XP flying anything...only way is to activate autolod.

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

So, I tried W2XP, but the performance wasn´t really that good in the IXEG and the FF767 (sometimes way under 20 during departure and approach, especially in cloudy weather).

I installed the old OSM Europe scenery again (simheaven), with the OpensceneryX, the R2_library and the Europe library, and although this stuff might be 3 yrs old, it still looks very good, and performs extremely good. I even installed a few Z16 tiles of photo scenery, and that looks and performs amazing as well!

I installed the old OSM Europe scenery again (simheaven),

Thanks for the feedback, Michael! Is the OSM Europe scenery you use the one that can still be downloaded at simheaven?

I know, you are not using HD Mesh v3, but maybe someone else could answer what advantage OSM Europe would bring over HD Mesh v3?

I know, you are not using HD Mesh v3, but maybe someone else could answer what advantage OSM Europe would bring over HD Mesh v3?

First you need to understand, that they do not "compete" as they are not a replacement of each other.

HD Mesh Scenery v3 for example contains the full base mesh (including all water features) with all of its pointers to terrain types (which in the end define what textures are put on each patch of the mesh). Neither OSM Europe nor w2xp do this (and don't intend).

Some time ago I wrote about what a classic base mesh scenery (default or HD / UHD) does contain over at the ORG:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/105580-global-scenery-for-x-plane/#comment-1043765

Now the OSM Europe or w2xp sceneries can replace (or mix in) overlay information like realistic (OSM based) building positions / shapes and forests ... or even replace road network. But all of this is happening on top(!) of any base mesh you put beneath it (and any photoscenery mesh might act as that mesh too)!