Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Serious, serious OOM

OK fellas, this is driving me crazy and I really need some help. I've just had a rebuild completed which effectively is i7 6700 Skylake with 16Gb 3200Mhz Ram, GTX 770 4Gb GPU. Two separate SSD's one for Win 7, the other for FSX. Effectively the same rig I've been using for the past four years, only an upgrade on the RAM and processor, So far I have been very pleased with the increase in performance, and I have yet to overclock. I am also running a newly installed FSX-SE. HOWEVER, for some reason which is bumbfounding me, I am getting rediculous OOM errors. It started yesterday when I noticed it. While flying from Stark's Twin Oaks in Orbx scenery, after about five minutes I was getting really bad blurries in the A2A 172. I always fly with conservative settings and so this is not an issue. After much head scratching, I thougth I'd complete Nick's Bible suggestions and switch off and optimise the rest of the machine. After completing this I was aware of another couple of frames, which was a surprise and the blurries had disappeared. I put it down to Nick's tweaks. Anyway, today I was flying in the same area and, you guessed, the blurries had reappeared. We're not talking just a few, but really bad! So bad you couldn't distinguish the ground! I decided to delete the shaders and the cfg. and then test the rig to see if issue would happen elsewhere. After deleting the files I fired up FSX-SE with the NGX at FSDT's KLAX, autogen only on dense, with all AI off except for 25% airlines. What happened next sent a shiver down my back! As the NGX was loading, I started to hear the OOM dinging in the background, and no sooner had the aircraft loaded and the scenery loaded, that spikes appeared over the scenery, the whole thing froze and then crashed to show me an OOM error message. I have tried this about four or five time, each time with the same result.

I'm sure there will be a logical reason for this, but for the life of me I have no idea what it is. If anyone can offer some good advice I'd be grateful. Cheers fellas.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I'd use Process Explorer to see what's actually loading when you start FSX and load up into a flight.  This should help identify the culprit if it's a process.

If it's not a process, then it's possible that your 4GB video card is mirroring to the full memory capability. If this is the case, the only way I know of to mitigate this is use of the bufferpools tweak.  If you're already using this tweak, you may want to check your settings. It's been years since I had to use bufferpools, so my memory isn't as clear on this and the mirroring that takes place as it once was.

All I can think of at the moment.  Hope it's helpful.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'd use Process Explorer to see what's actually loading when you start FSX and load up into a flight.  This should help identify the culprit if it's a process.

If it's not a process, then it's possible that your 4GB video card is mirroring to the full memory capability. If this is the case, the only way I know of to mitigate this is use of the bufferpools tweak.  If you're already using this tweak, you may want to check your settings. It's been years since I had to use bufferpools, so my memory isn't as clear on this and the mirroring that takes place as it once was.

All I can think of at the moment.  Hope it's helpful.

Thanks Dave, I'll check out process explorer. I hope it's easy enough to use!

Can you explain what you mean by...  your 4GB video card is mirroring to the full memory capability. Thanks

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

It really is.

I'm really interested to see what caused this.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi Dave, well this is a conundrum and I'm really concerned.

I've just installed and ran process explorer. Same scenario as before, at KLAX. PE shows memory usage at about 760,000k on startup while on the setup screen. Then once a flight is initiated, the memory continually starts to climb throughout the loading process, until the screen appears, it's at about 3.9gb. I move to an outside view and back into the VC the dinging goes and the darn thing stops.

Another scenario, at FSDT, running with about 3.7Gb memory useage, take off, bank round over Vancouver, then bam, dinging starts! It's odd to start a flight with so much memory useage, surely.

I have tried with Bufferpools and without... no difference. I have tried with hyperthreading on and off and different affinity mask settings, no difference. I am now running with HT on and AM set at 84.

What makes this so frustrating is that I have hardly ever had any OOMs with FSX which I ran for six years. I've blown a lot of dosh on this rig to get it working as best I can and I now have to deal with this nonsense. There must be something outside of FSX-SE that is interfering in some way. I'm wondering if it's Nick's tweaks have got something to do with it.

Howard

Hi Dave, got it sorted I reckon. looks like it was finger trouble at my end. When trying to set the paging file, I entered the custom settings and for some reason, had left the boxes empty!!  So I went back in and set everything to auto. Durgh.

I have had little experience in this area before, primarily because OOMs have never caused me a problem.

I now tested the same scenario and it runs at about 3.4gb in windowed mode, but when I change to fullscreen, which is what I normally fly in, I noticed momentarily that PE dropped to only about 3.2Gb. is this normal do you think? 

Howard

Have you tried it with any aircraft where the OOM doesn't happen? What about at default airports? I'm no expert and no doubt wiser heads will weight in to help you, but I have an interest here  because I may be about to put a fair wedge of cash towards a new rig..and run FSX:SE, so I'm very interested in how this works out for you.

Here's where I would look next (not suggesting you haven't tried this already or wouldn't think of it) - not necessarily in order:

• Try it with some more aircraft and see if there's any difference. Particularly aircraft with not much systems going on in the background. Carenado should be ideal, heh, heh.
  • Try it at a default Orbx airport i.e. an airport in an Orbx region but not an Orbx airport product. 
  • Disable Orbx completely and try in the same location and see if there's any difference.
  • Run it without any other addons e.g. REX/ASN, FSPassengers/Captain etc.
  • Since you did the upgrade, has it ever run satisfactorily? If it has, what has changed since the last time?
  • Have you installed the Orbx AI aircraft package? (I don't know it that's controlled by the FSX traffic sliders or if it does its own thing...

I don't imagine that any of these is actually the answer, but maybe something might throw up a clue...

Best of luck.I'll be following this one.

Have you tried it with any aircraft where the OOM doesn't happen? What about at default airports? I'm no expert and no doubt wiser heads will weight in to help you, but I have an interest here  because I may be about to put a fair wedge of cash towards a new rig..and run FSX:SE, so I'm very interested in how this works out for you.

Here's where I would look next (not suggesting you haven't tried this already or wouldn't think of it) - not necessarily in order:

• Try it with some more aircraft and see if there's any difference. Particularly aircraft with not much systems going on in the background. Carenado should be ideal, heh, heh.
  • Try it at a default Orbx airport i.e. an airport in an Orbx region but not an Orbx airport product. 
  • Disable Orbx completely and try in the same location and see if there's any difference.
  • Run it without any other addons e.g. REX/ASN, FSPassengers/Captain etc.
  • Since you did the upgrade, has it ever run satisfactorily? If it has, what has changed since the last time?
  • Have you installed the Orbx AI aircraft package? (I don't know it that's controlled by the FSX traffic sliders or if it does its own thing...

I don't imagine that any of these is actually the answer, but maybe something might throw up a clue...

Best of luck.I'll be following this one.

Thanks for the input Paul, it was something affecting FSX from outside. It was finger trouble at my end! See my last post.

Howard

Yes sir, it is normal. You can also regain a little VAS in the windowed mode by reducing the size of the window, then putting it back to full size will get you a little more. Less VAS the more often you do it, and as you saw its not a lot anyway.

Dave Hodges

No need to mess with the pagefile at all as it has nothing to do with VAS and OOM's, you could have a Terrabyte pagefile and still OOM just as fast as one managed by your OS. Try lowering various texture settings and your LOD radius as well as consider DX10 with Steves Fixer if you want to stick with FSX.  Also a good idea is to monitor your VAS while in the sim using various addons to see what impact they each have on the sim.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Yes sir, it is normal. You can also regain a little VAS in the windowed mode by reducing the size of the window, then putting it back to full size will get you a little more. Less VAS the more often you do it, and as you saw its not a lot anyway.

Hi Dave, sure, I understand the difference in VAS with windowed and fullscreen, sorry I didn't communicate very well, my question should be, is 3.2Gb VAS useage about right for NGX at FSDT KLAX in Orbx scenery? 

Howard

3.2Gb VAS useage about right for NGX at FSDT KLAX in Orbx scenery?

I understand that you are asking DaveCT2003, but essentially YES. 3.2gb VAS usage easily within the possibility, it all depends on your system settings for FSX and what other addon's you have in the sim. I hate to say it, but the whole OOM issue has been beaten repeatedly over and over again for years, none of this stuff is new.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I understand that you are asking DaveCT2003, but essentially YES. 3.2gb VAS usage easily within the possibility, it all depends on your system settings for FSX and what other addon's you have in the sim. I hate to say it, but the whole OOM issue has been beaten repeatedly over and over again for years, none of this stuff is new.

No sure, just that because I've never had a problem with it previously, I've never really given it much attention. Anyway, thanks for your help, appreciated.

Howard

Hi Dave, sure, I understand the difference in VAS with windowed and fullscreen, sorry I didn't communicate very well, my question should be, is 3.2Gb VAS useage about right for NGX at FSDT KLAX in Orbx scenery?

I don't run PMDG aircraft anymore (I may change my mind in the future), but I've loaded the NGX up at LAX using Photo Real and Payware scenery and as memory serves it was pretty high there, but 3.2?  I don't think it was more than say 2.8GB.

Dave Hodges

I don't run PMDG aircraft anymore (I may change my mind in the future), but I've loaded the NGX up at LAX using Photo Real and Payware scenery and as memory serves it was pretty high there, but 3.2?  I don't think it was more than say 2.8GB.

I suspect it's got a lot to do with Orbx's SOCAL. It's notoriously heavy. Process explorer was a great move, I can learn a lot from that.

Howard