Sign in to follow this  
Don t moderate me this way

Effective immediately - restrictions on downloads of FSS transferred licenses

I actually got an email, because of already have the OD account.  I hate to say it, but it doesn't bode well for ORBX to be placing restrictions like this.  They are the leading scenery makers, and they had to see something like this coming.  So many people out there have invested a lot of cash in their products and with paranoia running rampant online, I can blame people for wanting the peace of mind of backups.  It just seems like now we have to put so much faith and trust in ORBX to handle the accounts to ensure that everyone has everything they need at anytime.

I see the pros and cons of it all, but for this restriction to be put in place like this (despite being touted as temporary), is definitely gonna cause backlash and it wouldn't surprise me to see a great many people writing in their forums about how they have issues downloading.

Glad I have X-Plane installed....zero worries there.

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Ridiculous.  ORBX themselves caused this issue by rendering all of the FSS installers useless.

• Upvote 2

It looks restrictive but I think we have to accept that our faith to the cloud will have to increase. 

Hans

From what others have said here on AVSIM, it seems as if anyone who's post even hints at being negative will run the risk of being banned from the ORBX forums.

I only hope the security they have in place to protect customer information is good - but one never really knows.  Like other places, a number of FS purchase venues have been compromised over the years.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What goes around comes around...

Not honoring the installers people already had downloaded from FSS in FTXC3 was a bad idea. 

It kept me from converting to FTXC3 as I can't be bothered with download everything yet again. 

But life goes on... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have upgraded to Central v3 but won't be migrating my purchases across from FSS just yet. I can therefore, as I understand it, still run the FSS wrapper installers as normal, should I need to. Will migrate once this settles down a bit.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I have upgraded to Central v3 but won't be migrating my purchases across from FSS just yet. I can therefore, as I understand it, still run the FSS wrapper installers as normal, should I need to. Will migrate once this settles down a bit.

Yes, and not receive any updates for your products at all.

I've got the email from JV earlier this morning. This would not create a problem for us the customers if FSS, according to the ORBX's request, allows their servers to continue validating the downloads of the previous purchases with the current customer's installers in backup. If that is not the case, it would be a big issue for everybody, because once you own a product you have the right to have it at any time, don't you?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Yes, and not receive any updates for your products at all.

Not true. If you own it in FTXC3, you will get the updates even if you install from the FSS wrappers. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Not true. If you own it in FTXC3, you will get the updates even if you install from the FSS wrappers.

Except for the very latest updates which are tied to licenses held in OD. Older updates, from the pre-OD era are no problem, AFAIK.

...because once you own a product you have the right to have it at any time, don't you?.

Cheers, Ed

Depends on the EULA, and if the company goes bust you might be out of luck... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Depends on the EULA, and if the company goes bust you might be out of luck... 

EULA?, give an example please, everyday we should be open to learn something new. If the company have the risk of going down, something that could happen even to the today's best companies in the world, that could help to explain the behavior of the people who wanted to have their backups at hand under the new system, just human nature.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The one thing they don't acknowledge in their e-mail is that FTX Central 3, in its current version, sometimes prompts you to update installations that are actually current.  That happened to me with both Open LC NA and Vector - and in the case of Vector, the result was a couple of duplicate files that prevented me from running the Airport Elevation Correction routine.  I had to uninstall Vector, then download and reinstall it from scratch.  So that's a couple of instances of server demand that was created by small bugs in FTX Central itself.  Not a big deal for me to take care of, but it might have been better if they'd acknowledged that in their e-mail instead of mainly faulting customers for being unreasonable.  Not the first time I've disagreed with Orbx on customer communications, so I suppose (and hope) they'll take it in stride.