Sign in to follow this  
Don t moderate me this way

Effective immediately - restrictions on downloads of FSS transferred licenses

What a mess! I stayed out of it so far as I am using the new central, but haven't transferred yet. Observing what's to come...

Regards, Perry

I wouldn't call it a mess - a pretty predictable level of bugginess for such a major overhaul, and I wasn't inconvenienced in a big way.  Overall I like the way it works and I'm happy to have made the move. That said, I made the move sooner than I ordinarily do in the case of a big revision, and there's no penalty for holding back a bit.  If I had it to do over, I would have waited another week or two myself.

I usually don't post the same post in two topics but this may be of interest for everyone who is upset about the daily limit and everyone who, for some odd reason, want backups of all their installers so I am posting this here too:

For those who wonder how the heck they are going to reinstall all their ORBX products in case of a sim reinstall or a new PC or whatever when there is a daily limit: John just posted this on the Orbx forum:

There is no need to backup installers if you backup your entire ORBX directory before a sim re-install, system rebuild or OS re-install. Just copy the Orbx folder back into the sim root folder, run FTX Central V3 and everything is taken care of automatically. The only thing that needs a re-install is FTX Global because it replaces default textures.

As I've said many times, this is the preferred way to reinstall ORBX on a sim and FTX Central V3 is designed to detect everything in the ORBX directory and do all the management for you. That's the beauty of the new system.

Life couldn't be easier. Not only do you not need backups of installers, you don't even need to redownload installers for your products when doing a reinstall or even a new system build. Praise be FTXC3.

There is no need to backup installers if you backup your entire ORBX directory before a sim re-install, system rebuild or OS re-install. Just copy the Orbx folder back into the sim root folder, run FTX Central V3 and everything is taken care of automatically. The only thing that needs a re-install is FTX Global because it replaces default textures.

Now, that is impressive! 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

FTX C3 is certainly not a mess. I transferred from FSS to OrbXDirect  a week ago without a major hitch and I happily fly since. The new system is obviously rather pleasant to handle. There are corrections to be made, a service patch is coming, as some customers have issues. So you may want to wait for it if you are unsure. FTX C2 works all right still. 

Parallel to that, OrbX had an unsustainable overload of access as a lot of people redownload everything they own.  Why ? Some thought they had to. They hadn't. Some like to have everything at home. They hadn't either . See Jeroen's post above. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

For those who wonder how the heck they are going to reinstall all their ORBX products in case of a sim reinstall or a new PC or whatever when there is a daily limit: John just posted this on the Orbx forum...

Jeepers creepers... if he had only mentioned this method in his initial post, methinks all this gnashing of teeth could have been substantially avoided.

Jeepers creepers... if he had only mentioned this method in his initial post, methinks all this gnashing of teeth could have been substantially avoided.

The daily limit wasn't imposed until today.

From what others have said here on AVSIM, it seems as if anyone who's post even hints at being negative will run the risk of being banned from the ORBX forums.

You may listen too much to the usual suspects, why don't you go and check yourself... A lot of people has expressed their disagreement and nobody was banned so far :smile:  ! John V has engaged a rather lively debate there. 

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

You may listen too much to the usual suspects

Hello Dom,

If you know me, or of me, you'd have a little more insight into my comment.

I wish you the best.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hello Dom,

If you know me, or of me, you'd have a little more insight into my comment.

I wish you the best.

me too, I am sorry if you felt offended that was not the purpose. 

Dominique

JV has just stated:

"So let me clarify and perhaps summarise this topic and we can move on.

1. The only thing that has been limited to one (1) download per day is the manual download function:
2. You can still install as much products as you like through FTX Central 3 - no limits, no caps - that has not changed
(...)"

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124974-effective-immediately-restrictions-on-downloads-of-fss-transferred-licenses/?do=findComment&comment=1116942

JV has just stated:

"So let me clarify and perhaps summarise this topic and we can move on.

1. The only thing that has been limited to one (1) download per day is the manual download function:

2. You can still install as much products as you like through FTX Central 3 - no limits, no caps - that has not changed

(...)"

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124974-effective-immediately-restrictions-on-downloads-of-fss-transferred-licenses/?do=findComment&comment=1116942

LOL All that fuzz about nothing, really... Flightsimmers are an odd bunch. Easy to anger, hard to please. Sometimes I am seriously happy none of my real world friends are flightsimmers.  :hi:

It's worth noting that ORBX has actually changed their way of handling downloads through ORBXDirect two times since yesterday:

"Perhaps we need to establish a ticket system for people who are doing system rebuilds or complete reinstalls can provide us some proof of their system state so we can lift the download cap for those in crisis without Orbx addons installed."
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124974-effective-immediately-restrictions-on-downloads-of-fss-transferred-licenses/?do=findComment&comment=1116408

So initially downloads for reinstalls through OD and for backups seemed to be limited; now only downloads for backup purposes are capped.

It's worth noting that ORBX has actually changed their way of handling downloads through ORBXDirect two times since yesterday:

"Perhaps we need to establish a ticket system for people who are doing system rebuilds or complete reinstalls can provide us some proof of their system state so we can lift the download cap for those in crisis without Orbx addons installed."

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124974-effective-immediately-restrictions-on-downloads-of-fss-transferred-licenses/?do=findComment&comment=1116408

So initially downloads for reinstalls through OD and for backups seemed to be limited; now only downloads for backup purposes are capped.

Well, they didn't change things twice, actually. The only thing they changed was the manual download option which can be found on the OrbxDirect site. The download options in Central 3 were never limited. And the ticket system was just an idea, not something they actually did already. Also they didn't cap downloads for backup purposes because obviously they can't know if you download something manually for backup or reinstall: they simply capped the manual download option entirely. Of course, this is how it is according to JV: in his messages from yesterday I never clearly read only manual downloads from the site were capped. He said he didn't communicate this clearly but I wonder if he communicated this at all.