Hi all,

Looking for an alternative joystick for the airbus but also for any aircraft in flight simulation. The main reason is that I am not happy with the not smooth motion of the Thrustmaster T1600M.

I have seen generally good reviews about this stick that is why I purchased it, but soon I realized that the motion is not smooth at all. First of all, there is a huge central detent in the middle. The stick will come in the dead center position with big force and also very fast. That does not seem at all realistic to me. But there is more. If you move the stick for example half way back (elevator) and then keeping the same elevator input move the airlerons full left and full right you will notice something weird. Towards the end the motion is fast , towards the center there is a very detectable abdrupt change in the movement due to the mechanical system it is mounted. Besides the general feel of the stick and the left-hand functionality which are great, I don't see any reason to consider this joystick as a realistic solution. 

Any other has the same observations as me? Or any other joystick suggestion with better smoothness will be very much appreciated. :)

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Seems that you have a calibration issue. I have the same stick and I'm very happy with it, considering also its relatively low cost. I've even upgraded to the newly released T.16000M HOTAS FSC system. On my desktop I have the Saitek X52Pro and if you ask me, I'll tell you that I prefer the Thrustmaster a hundred times!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I agree with Ed; something wrong with your hardware. I've got the same stick and I don't have your problems. Hope you get it fixed - T1600M is a good bit of kit.

Best regards

Rupert

I have the same stick and I'm very happy with it, considering also its relatively low cost. I've even upgraded to the newly released T.16000M HOTAS FSC system

That's good to know, Ed. I was a bit worried reading the OP. I ordered the new HOTAS sytem too. It still takes another 2-3 weeks till it's available in Europe...

Regards, Perry

I love my T1600M. May be you have a bad one. I hear the X55 is good, but the X56 is terrible (cheaply made parts).

I'll join the chorus here - I think you either have a calibration issue, or perhaps a actual hardware issue with your copy.

I've used (and recommended here) the t.16000m for quite some time, I find it to be very good for the price range. This is coming from previous use of a x55 (joystick finally went dead, after previous other issues) and a x45 (constant connection issues between stick and TQ). At this point, compared to the cost of the Saitek products, I can have the t.16000m fail many times over and need to be replaced before I'm approaching what the Saitek sticks cost.

Of course, the primary reason that I recommend the t.16000m is because it can be setup for use with your left hand - very nice if trying to use a TPM or separate TQ on the right side.

I'd recommend trying to calibrate it first, but if you still have issues, I'd recommend returning and getting a replacement.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

That is certainly no calibration problem. It is the way the joystick is designed. I uploaded a video where I demonstrate that. I don't know if you can see it, but there is a different amount of resistant accross the movement that is not linear. There are two clear "bumbs" in the center zone. This is experienced when the elevator is not in the zero position and you move the airlerons. In the video I try to be "weak" so to show the problem, ie. I put the minimum force to move it. If I move the stick with more strength then the issue is not visible. I can feel the bump but it doesn't alter the movement. 

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |

That is certainly no calibration problem. It is the way the joystick is designed. I uploaded a video where I demonstrate that. I don't know if you can see it, but there is a different amount of resistant accross the movement that is not linear. There are two clear "bumbs" in the center zone. This is experienced when the elevator is not in the zero position and you move the airlerons. In the video I try to be "weak" so to see the problem. If I move the stick with more strength then the issue is not visible. I can feel the bump but it doesn't alter the movement.

I think I can see what you're talking about. I really didn't notice any sort of objectionable 'bumps' in my copy. Not to the degree that you've seemed to demonstrate. There is a 'center', but completely expected. Mine is actually smoother then my x55 (with springs installed) was.

To be fair, I never had huge high hopes for the t.16000, given the fact that it was a fraction of the price of my x55 - right at the price point where since I decided I wanted it mounted firmly to my center stick platform, I didn't hesitate to punch some 1/2" holes through the base with a drill bit so as to bolt it down. My next move is to actually tear it apart again and take it out of the huge base, converting the push buttons to (on)-off-(on) momentary toggle switches on a raised plate in front of the stick.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The T16000M is the smoothest joystick I have ever used. You must have gotten a defective one. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The T16000M is the smoothest joystick I have ever used. You must have gotten a defective one. 

Personally I don't think its defective. It is also a personal judgement when it comes to a feeling of smoothness. Someone says a car is very smooth on the road, someone else feels some bumps that are not important for the other. Maybe I asked for too much, overall I am happy with it considering its price. The sidewinder force feedback was the smoothest I've tried in my case but not as accurate.