Sign in to follow this  
Airway88

Lear 35A Paintkit

Hello guys! 

I am doing a repaint of SE-DZZ of the Scandinavian Air Ambulance.

The fuselage is nearly done only a few details to add and that is all done :)

But I downloaded the paintkit, and I do miss alot of layers on the tail..since SE-DZZ is all yellow so is the tail, but when I paint the tail yellow, all nails and so on who are on the tail dissapears because it is only one layer on the tail nothing more..

Is there any tip or so to keep them even if I am painting the tail yellow?

Rgds

Kim

Hi Kim,

I recently downloaded the paint kit as well - seemed like there were layers included... I'll look again when I have a chance... All the Carenado birds come as a single layer - so even if it's not layered - it can still be painted...

I'm not sure what you are using to paint with -  but a more intermediate/advanced technique to paint is by not just painting a solid color on a surface... I use PSP but I'm sure Adobe has similar - - - try applying a solid color paint on a NEW layer over the object you want to paint - doesn't matter that it's opaque and obscures all details - - - now find the layer you just painted and adjust "Layer Types" - should have a bunch of different types available for different effects - in PSP I use "Soft Light" a bunch but you'll have to experiment... You'll see that the opaque layer should change - you should see it color the material below it and show all the glorious details and shading... Again - you have to play - sometimes I stack 4 or 5 layers of different types on a single surface to get the desired effect... In the end it always looks WAY better than just painting with a solid color with the detail layer above it...

Hope this makes sense - best of luck...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I do really have problems painting some lines on the plane..

They will not align..

I have no idea how to align the lines so it will be correct..

It is a real headache..tried to cut the DDS file (I have a backup thank god) and put them besides eachother to align them..

Not a chance that it will accept that..

So any tips there as well?

This is the only thing I am having problems with, the rest is complete but only this I do have problems with..

So each tip is highly appreciated..I am on Photoshop CC 2015.5 btw..

I'm not sure what you try to do, but if you have two images and want to do the same edit on both, you could import both into a single image as two layers and do your edit in a third layer above that.

Then hide one image layer, export to BMP/DDS.

Then unhide this one and hide the other, export to BMP/DDS.

If you want to do similar edits and want to see the edits in one image as a reference, import one image as the lower layer, import the edited other image as one layer above with some degree of transparency, and do your edits in a new top layer.

If you are ready, hide/delete the middle layer and export to BMP/DDS.

P.S.: I'm using gimp for such things, maybe the wording is different in Photoshop, but the functionality will be there.

Hi Kim,

Looks good...

Oh - this video states the concept I was trying to get across far more elegantly than my feeble attempt... It's by the legendary Bill Womack and certainly worth a watch if you like painting aircraft,,,

Nice job on the Lear...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7