Sign in to follow this  
DanHirschberg

How do I proceed with a freeze troubleshoot request for help?

I've never asked anyone else's help for handling FSX issues but the gist I am gathering at this point is that with the bit of reading I've done I have a slider issue.

PMDG 737NGX and ORBX Global FTX 2 with Vectors LC NA and SE AK Scenery. Win7x64 and thats honestly what I know of how to start. I'm sorry if I pull a newbie on this post but I haven't put a serious strain on a machine in a few years and I feel I am out of the loop on how to handle it. 

I was dealing with reasonably fine performance and sliders pretty high, no issues until I installed the NGX although I have had freezes in the Extended Aerosoft Twotter....

Thanks for bearing with me and I expect to receive some form-letter advice and guidance but I honestly don't know exactly how to approach the problem so I may be looking at a trouble-tree type of thinking in an approach to my sliders. Performed SOME cfg tweakage but have not yet gone back to backup. Trying that now, we will see if it changes anything. I will only leave the highmemfix line in place. 

Thanks Fellas and ladies

So....you're getting some temporary type of freezes that last a few seconds and then the Sim goes on from there?  Before adjusting any sliders, I would try doing some other things like turn off lens flare and light bloom.  Slider-wise, try adjusting AI traffic down a bit, and water slider down to 2.0.

Try small adjustments and do some test flying to see if they help.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I came back to update and say that load times, particularly during scenery load pre-startup is significantly longer, and it was just FINE a day before, it was an overnight change. and it is a permanent hard freeze. I have to close out in the taskman. The bells and whistles sliders are being fiddled with. I first noticed the problem whilst flying the twotter, and nothing had given me trouble before. I am curious if my ram is starting to fade..

Also added....the loading time is now from a few moments to excessive. I may give the ram a wipe. 

Go to page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide "How to Fix Most Crashes/Freezes" and see if those recommendations work.  Link to guide in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks a ton Jim, I didn't know that existed. I'm still getting my &@($* kicked by this. I'd hate a clean wipe and reinstall, but it seems as soon as I installed Aerosoft DO27 things went south. This may take me some time....

I'd hate a clean wipe and reinstall, but it seems as soon as I installed Aerosoft DO27 things went south. This may take me some time....

You should never do a clean wipe and reinstall.  Experts state the just deleting the fsx.cfg is the same as reinstalling FSX and better.  In the case of the Aerosoft DO27, you might want to check the dll.xml for any Aerosoft entries.  I currently have no Aerosoft stuff installed but thought they had gone to an installer that verifies and activates your product and that's done through the dll.xml.  If that is not done, then the sim will crash.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Wish I would have read that beforehand....wrapping up a clean wipe and install, changed over clock profile, and cleaned the heads on my RAM. I am confused. One day the load time was fine, and a day later it would take ten minutes to load a scenery area, even OUTSIDE the NA Landclass. I'm wondering perhaps if I have a hardware issue. Never encountered something like this. 

Wish I would have read that beforehand....wrapping up a clean wipe and install, changed over clock profile, and cleaned the heads on my RAM. I am confused. One day the load time was fine, and a day later it would take ten minutes to load a scenery area, even OUTSIDE the NA Landclass. I'm wondering perhaps if I have a hardware issue. Never encountered something like this. 

Did a clean wipe and install. NOW I am getting an OOM. Sliders set below where I had them before. I am getting monumentally confused because things had been working perfectly fine before. I am just stunted in terms of what to turn to next. More reading must be in order, but what really blows me away is load times that went from 20 seconds to 10 minutes, and the level of detail radius set to large but it's rendering as though it was low, and a CTD whereas before it was a straight-out hard freeze in-flight. Not only am I not replicating the original problem, but with a fresh install, lowered sliders, I am getting an entirely different beast. 

Did a clean wipe and install. NOW I am getting an OOM. Sliders set below where I had them before. I am getting monumentally confused because things had been working perfectly fine before. I am just stunted in terms of what to turn to next. More reading must be in order, but what really blows me away is load times that went from 20 seconds to 10 minutes, and the level of detail radius set to large but it's rendering as though it was low, and a CTD whereas before it was a straight-out hard freeze in-flight. Not only am I not replicating the original problem, but with a fresh install, lowered sliders, I am getting an entirely different beast. 

This is truly infuriating. I loaded a Bushawk XP at the Stampede airport in the middle of nowhere. It loaded by default into winter scenery. Everything loaded up like normal, in about 25-30 seconds. I then went into Time. and changed it to summer, and the reload took almost 10 minutes. WHAT THE HELL?

Maybe something happened to your summer textures!  Whenever I change the time and season, it takes my sim some time to load everything.  Best that you change at the setup screen.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I agree Jim. However, I am getting an OOM when I do certain things. I was not having this issue before. I am doing a complete re-format and install. Fortunately, this only takes me about half an hour, so it's a minor inconvenience. I am running 16GB of 1333mhz DDR3 ram. I believe it is time to upgrade. My processor is an i5 and the HD are SATA3 SSDs. This ram has served me well, and has been with me for about 5 years.  I appreciate your input, thank you; you are absolutely right that I should do that, and "plan accordingly" but as a mechanic, I am a firm believer in, not just getting the truck out the door, but fixing the problem completely. :D 

I agree Jim. However, I am getting an OOM when I do certain things. I was not having this issue before. I am doing a complete re-format and install. Fortunately, this only takes me about half an hour, so it's a minor inconvenience. I am running 16GB of 1333mhz DDR3 ram. I believe it is time to upgrade. My processor is an i5 and the HD are SATA3 SSDs. This ram has served me well, and has been with me for about 5 years.  I appreciate your input, thank you; you are absolutely right that I should do that, and "plan accordingly" but as a mechanic, I am a firm believer in, not just getting the truck out the door, but fixing the problem completely. :D 

Well, at least you will know if it is FSX or your computer system's setup after reformating and reinstalling!  I personally think something was wrong with your system or hardware was beginning to fail.  Your system really isn't all that bad but then you cannot have your sliders up to the max all of the time and your display driver settings have to be conservative too.  Good luck!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim I appreciate your ongoing involvement in this thread, even if it may be beneath you. You are absolutely correct.  My belief rests with the firm conviction that my RAM is starting to fail. It just doesn't make sense that my high-resource dragging PMDG 737 with REX Essential (on the first highest beneath HD cloud setting) would function flawlessly one day and the next it doesn't. 

I discerned something rather telling last night, but first this: I have to ask, is it the RAM performance that affects the load time of at startup? I am inclined to believe this. The SSDs are not failing, they were bought a month ago just for this build. I did a trial and error process by which I proceeded to install and run FS base, then SP2 then Orbx Global base, then vector, then NA Landclass, then Se Alaska, and all loaded up flawlessly within moments. It was when I installed REX Essential and installed the new textures via the software frontend that I THEN had the long load times. I whittled down the REX features to such a point that all I had left was minimum spec clouds and left on aircraft and runway lighting. It still was too much for my machine to handle. My belief is the RAM, at 1333mHz, just cant hang in there....plus even with a highmemfix line of code I was still getting a legitimate OOM. For now I am going to install everything except REX and roll from there until I can afford to put some really high clock speed ram into this hot mama....someone correct me if that doesn't sound right to them.