Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

Augh..FS Planet...

Guest AAF

I just found my latest upload (which I specifically restricted to AVSIM) available over there. Is there any way I can get it taken down?

You could try emailing them and volftp (their host if I'm not mistaken), but don't hold your breath. Ferdy isn't exactly the most co-operative in respecting authors' wishes to have their files removed....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest AAF

Alright, thank you very much.

Ferdi holds that telling something should NOT be uploaded by him is a restriction of his civil rights and therefore ignores it.He's even threatened people that told their stuff was not to be uploaded to his site with legal action.

that is complete B/S. How can he take legal action if someone wants their file removed from his site? I am quite aware of what has happened in the past ect...

it is BS but that doesn't stop it from being an effective threat towards mainly younger people who don't know him or the law.Once a bully always a bully.

My question is why AVSim starts a massive anti-piracy program for payware, but completely ignores this issue...It's all about the money :/

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Oh is it? If you go back in time here in the forums and elsewhere, you will see that you are completely incorrect. The fact of the matter is that we have tried to address the issue with FSPlanet, and every time we do, some see that as the big bad larger site picking on the smaller, non-U.S. site. So, unless and until authors band together to address the issue, not much is going to happen. Putting it on AVSIM's shoulders isn't the answer.

Guest rogue1

Well said, Tom. I remember this from way back. There is no answer in trying to get AVSIM to solve the problem or blaming AVSIM for trying to keep the site up and running (for free I might add).Keep up the good work guys.Jim

The worst is they have stopped answering emails. It just bounces back.Previously Ferdy removed the files but no chance now. Interesting that the summary of the law suit that he claims he won stated that FS Planet will respect the wishes of authors when they restrict sites in their readme as long as they do not mention FS Planet in the negative.I have found that if the file is at AVSIM it does not end up at FS Planet. Therefore I have decided to restrict all future uploads to AVSIM. I am an old fan of flightsim.com and Nels has always been on email and very helpful but alas eveytime I upload there it ends up at FS Planet. I think the one exception to this is the original poster of this thread and that is the problem when someone posts the file to another site that FS Planet can poach from.Tom, remind me what the authors need to do here?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez, just walk through the upload process. It is simple and you will get the hang of it very quickly, I am sure.

Guest GCBarni

Besides Ferdy poaching from sites, what's to prevent other users sending Ferdy the files?? That's why I include a statement in my documents prohibiting this action also. BTW, I do not name other sites....I just insist that my files are not to appear on any other sites period. Thus, if you didn't get the files from AVSIM (where I actually post them), then you don't have a 'legal' set.

Oh OK I thought you meant all the freeware authors should band together to write to Ferdy or to his webmaster.Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Shez, I misunderstood your post because you said "I am an old fan of flightsim.com and Nels has always been on email and very helpful but alas eveytime I upload there it ends up at FS Planet." and then asked what authors should do. I assumed you meant to upload to AVSIM. Sorry.Yes, what I mean is that authors need to band together and face Ferdy as a group. AVSIM can't take on that role and certainly would not speak for every author out there. Those who do take exception to Ferdy's poaching of files should get together and deal with him.

Here's all you need to do, needs to happen only a few times:When packing your distributuion ZIP file, set a password.Communicate this password to your preferred distribution sites to be posted with your ZIP file. (Put it in the file comments). This password is now a DMCA Protection Device. Explicitly state in your addon's license agreement that obtaining this ZIP password via any other distribution site is a violation of the license and the user has no right to run the addon. When snarky there posts your addon, he'll have to post the ZIP file password or repack the ZIP file to remove it - Both of which are violations of the DMCA. The US has some of the most draconian copyright protection laws in the world, and in the US the potential penalties for copyright theft exceed those of rape or murder. Many of these are enforcable overseas through international agreements. These laws were created to be of service to everyone, not just megacorporations. Get a lawyer and use them!But if that's too expensive, you can just make a version of your addon with extra bugs or spyware/other crap included, and post it as the "FSPlanet Version" on FSPlanet. Explain that FSPlanet added the bad stuff, not you. (After all, they forced you to add it - You wouldn't be doing this if they weren't distributing your files anyway!) After a while the users will learn not to go there. Or disguise anti-FSPlanet propaganda as an addon. Like an airplane with an "FSPlanet Repaint" that has different graphics or a message on the panel. If he wants to play dirty, turnabout is fair play!