Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Lear 35A Autopilot

Hi Folks,

OK - I am really enjoying this plane... Last night I setup Al's fantastic LUA scripts to give me button control over all the autopilot buttons and some of the other controls in the cockpit as well... I took it a step further and used Voice Attack to gain a second set of hands in the cockpit to push them - via voice control... While this is the first time I ever tried it - what a difference - this voice control thing has breathed new life into flying complex aircraft in P3D for me... I'm very impressed... I even have voice control setup for all my Radar Contact commands - no longer fumbling to hit "1" or "7"... A complete flight with RC4 without ever typing a command to it... My first truly enjoyable flight with this bird - KMYR to KEYW...

I still have to use Al's fix for the windscreen heat...

Muchos Gracias - Al !!!

So - just a question on the autopilot - it appears that you can only select SPD or VS mode when you have a preselected altitude and the AP Alt Select button pressed - is that how it works in the real world ? Shouldn't you be able to select VS or SPD without a defined altitude?

I guess I'm a new Flysimware fan...

Regard,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

So - just a question on the autopilot - it appears that you can only select SPD or VS mode when you have a preselected altitude and the AP Alt Select button pressed - is that how it works in the real world ? Shouldn't you be able to select VS or SPD without a defined altitude?

I use SPD for the climb as long as there is no low level alt constraint by ATC. Why? because the pitch is then manage via the autopilote which decrease the workload during the climb phase and more important maintain the speed to make sure there is no risk of stall.

During the descent I use VS in order to maintain a targeted VS which is more convinient to manage compare to SPD which make the VS depend then only from where we adjust the throttle... (hope I am clear enough)

With AL's LUA scripts for the climb select AlLT SEL when align on rwy and SPD when the climb speed is set and maintened to your targeted one (250KTS for me)

For the descent I select VS to something around 3000ft/mn at TOD and then reselect ALT SEL to get the oral alert at 300ft berfore the targeted altitude.

You need to define the targeted Altitude before selecting SPD or VS  :wink:

si.php?id=1

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for the response - yeah - I've learned my lesson already when using VS for the climb - I did the inadvertent stall from somewhere in the high flight levels and fell to earth in flaming pieces scattered over half a state - oops... I don't think the stall recovery is quite realistic as there is NO recovery... LOL - easy fix - don't stall... SPD works much better...

:wink:

So I agree with your last statement - - "You need to define the targeted Altitude before selecting SPD or VS" - - when flying the model - are you saying it works that way in the real aircraft as well ???

Thanks again...

If anyone is interested - my current voice profile setup - work in progress - commands stated in left hand column are executed by Voice Attack and provides verbal feedback upon execution... Best $10.00 I ever spent on P3D...

Capture_zpsps8ws6k0.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Scott,

Very interesting idea. It seems like a nice way to learn pilot-copilot coordination/procedures and increase realism in a/c like the L35A that require a copilot. Along this line, in the interest of realism I think it is important to find out what the pilot and copilot would each normally do. For example, the copilot probably does raise and lower the gear and flaps, so a verbal call for that seems right. On the other hand, if the pilot would normally operate the AP buttons (and I don't know if that is the case) then verbals calls for that are not realistic. So it sounds like it would take a bit of research to find out who typically does what in the cockpit. And another consideration is that in a multiplayer or ATC environment, separate controls are needed for a/c internal and external voice activation.

Al

PS: This reminds me a little bit of young kids who have an imaginary friend!   :smile:

Hi Al,

Yeah - I wish I could find a real POH for this bird - I saw a Russian guy do a video of this plane and he had an electronic copy of the POH on his PC - problem was his video was in Russian...

I've been experimenting - and - even have Voice Attack reading me simplified checklists for phase of flight - just reminders of the things that will kill you... Obviously Voice Attack doesn't know the state of anything in the cockpit and can just send keystrokes - but - I am thoroughly enjoying the help...

Also trying to get it to work for VFR flight but the ATC menus are pretty complex and change respective to what you're doing...

It does include a PTT feature - haven't tried it yet myself...

Oh - loaded your windscreen heater indication fix - all good there as well... Thanks again...

:wink:

Oh again - any shot you could do a LUA on the Radio Altimeter (or just explain how I identify the switch to use in the LUA script) ??? It's one of the items that should be turned on as you're intercepting the glide slope - - - not a good time to be looking at the bottom of the panel - - - it has no control in P3D or FSUIPC - to the best of my knowledge...

Regards,
Scott

Oh again - any shot you could do a LUA on the Radio Altimeter ??? It's one of the items that should be turned on as you're intercepting the glide slope - - - not a good time to be looking at the bottom of the panel - - - it has no control in P3D or FSUIPC - to the best of my knowledge...

Scott,

I think the Radio Altimeter can be turned on before takeoff -- I noticed the Flysimware shortcut for starting the L35 does that. However, just emailed you the Lua script for turning the Radio Alt on and off each time you hit the assigned key or button (toggle action).

Al

• Upvote 1

Hi Al,

I forgot where I saw it but I could swear something told me to leave it off until getting close to land... I could be wrong... Either way - thanks so much - you've made this plane far more enjoyable than plain old vanilla out of the box... I'm liking it more with every flight I make - it really is a class act...

Regards,

Scott

I'm liking it more with every flight I make - it really is a class act.
[/quote

Scott,

I agree, Mark (Flysimware) has done an excellant job with the L35A. I rarely fly another plane these days.

Regards,

Al

• Upvote 1

So I agree with your last statement - - "You need to define the targeted Altitude before selecting SPD or VS" - - when flying the model - are you saying it works that way in the real aircraft as well ???

I have never flew a LJ35 in RW but I would say "yes" as it is the way it works even in a liner...  :wink:

I agree, Mark (Flysimware) has done an excellant job with the L35A. I rarely fly another plane these days.

Oh yes!!! so do I  :smile:

• Upvote 1

si.php?id=1

Last night I setup Al's fantastic LUA scripts to give me button control over all the autopilot buttons and some of the other controls in the cockpit as well...

Hi Scott. Are you saying that without these 3rd party add on LUA scripts, there is no button control of the Autopilot switches? I.e. from the key Board assignment list in the sim.

Not quite sure how these LUA scripts work. I take it they allow you to assign a keyboard key to each Autopilot button?

I too use Voice Attack, so obviously a keyboard key is needed before we can use Voice Attack?

Are these LUA scripts available for anyone to download?

Just curious.

Cheers.

David

Hi David,

Yep - I think you have it...

The Lear 35A has a beautifully done custom autopilot that goes far beyond the default keys we have... As fast as this thing is when it leaps off the ground - it's almost impossible to keep up with the plane if you're trying to hunt around with your mouse to hit buttons during critical phases of flight... Al - very kindly - created a whole suite of LUA scripts to control all the AP functions in addition to a slew of other commands to make flying this fine bird easier... They're real simple to use - dump all the scripts in your "modules" directory - then go into FSUIPC and assign button key presses and select each respective LUA script in FSUIPC... If they're in the directory - they should appear in the list under LUA... Now your key stroke is bound - so it's a simple thing to use in Voice Attack...

I'd send you my current VA profile - but I'm traveling this week and won't have access to my PC until next weekend... I'll post it then for reference... VA make it so much better - almost like having a real copilot...

Be sure to "READ" Al's included instructions...

Last night I built a VA command to "Lights On for Takeoff" - used when lined up on the runway just prior to rolling - sequentially toggles the Landing Light, Strobes, and Recognition lights all on for takeoff - then verbally confirms the task was done - VA - the greatest little program since sliced bread...

Finding unused keys is the hardest part... Keep in mind you don't want conflicts - so you have to make sure they aren't assigned in FSX/P3D or FSUIPC already...

Here is a good place to start for unused and available keys - but you still need to check as I found discrepancies:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Keys_-_Listing_-_Default_Types_(FSXA)

If I can be of anymore help - just shout - Al is extremely helpful and friendly as well - great bunch of guys flying this fine plane...

From Al's recent post - these are his scripts... Just PM him your email address and I'm sure he will gladly forward them to you...

Lear35A Autopilot Scripts (Note: The FSX standard Z key control toggles the autopilot on and off, so no script is needed for that.)

L35AP_ALTHLD_Btn – Altitude Hold button toggle

L35AP_ALTSEL_Btn - Altitude Select button toggle

L35AP_VS_Btn – Vertical Speed button toggle

L35AP_SPD_Btn – Speed button toggle

L35AP_GS_Btn – Glide Slope button toggle

L35AP_HDG_Btn – Heading Hold button toggle

L35AP_NAV_Btn – Nav button toggle

L35AP_LVL_Btn -Level button toggle

L35AP_BC_Btn – Backcourse button toggle

L35AP_H_BNK_Btn – Half Bank button toggle

L35AP_TST_Btn –AP Lights Test button toggle

L35AP_SFT_Btn – AP Soft button toggle (this function is difficult to test and the script has not been tested in flight. The SFT button does light up and move as expected, however, and should work as expected.)

Lear35A General Scripts

Lear35Land_Lts - Taxi and Landing lights 3-way switch toggle

Lear35Rec_Lts -- Recognition lights switch toggle

Lear35GearHorn – Gear warning horn off switch

Lear35Reversers – Arm Reversers switch toggle

Lear35SteerLock –Steering modes Toggle

Lear35YawDamper – Primary Yaw damper powered and on toggle

Lear35StopWatch – Panel Stopwatch 3-way toggle

Lear35SpoilerSw - Toggles Spoilers on and off

Lear35Go_Around – Pushes (activates) Ground Around button on left throttle

Lear35Radio_Alt – Toggles radio Altimeters on and off

L35CabinAltHorn – Silences cabin altitude warning horn

L35HdgBugSync - Syncs (aligns) HSI heading bug with current a/c heading

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Scott.

So its a matter of using FSUIPC to assign keyboard presses to the LUA scripts. Sounds interesting!

I use Multi Crew Experience. This has voice control of Radar Contact v4. Interestingly, it usually supports all native FSX/P3D aircraft. So if add on aircraft use standard FSX/P3D code it should work. The problems start when add in aircraft start to do their own thing and run code outside the core simulator. Then it has to be specially integrated.

If you have key press codes for all the flight deck switches, then I can see how Voice Attack could function. However you stated a very vital point, namely Voice Attack has no idea what "state" the switch is in. MCE does and therein is the magick!

Its great when these programs provide us with total control of our aircraft, really adds to the hobby!

Best regards

David

Hi David,

Just read another post on Voice Attack and it appears there is another piece of software that actually facilitates the passing of information between VA and FSX/P3D via FSUIPC... It's called SPAD - I'll have to look into it but it sounds promising...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I have the MU-2 and MCE does handle quite a lot of the switches...maybe also on the Lear jet?

BTW I still have the unregistered FSUIPC, I take it I will need to buy the full registered version £25 for the LUA script assignments to work?  This kind of doubles the price of the Lear jet... Perhaps its worth it?

Cheers.

Hi David,

I've never used MCE - really don't know...

Honestly - FSUIPC is an essential in my book - it's the very first piece of software I purchased after installing P3D... Just in regards to key assignments - it includes hundreds of new commands that you can assign keys to - besides the custom LUA scripts for the Lear... I don't like spending other peoples money - so I'd recommend that you do your due diligence - see what FSUIPC can do for you and see if you think it's worth it... It really depends on what you're trying to get out of flight sim... Best of luck...

Regards,

Scott