Sign in to follow this  
light_blue_yonder

Mapping seperate tiller axis

Hello fellow captains,

I was reading through the FCOM and saw a line that said "make sure nosewheel steering locked out". I used to taxi with my rudder pedals and thought the nosewheel can also be controlled by the pedals. A bit of reading on the subject told me that the rudders only move the nosewheel left and right 7 degrees. So, I went into FSUIPC and mapped a tiller axis. The problem was that with the tiller axis, nothing happens when I move my rudder, whereas in real life the pilots can test the rudders with the pedals and hold the nosewheel straight. Is there a way to do that? Like how Majestic's Dash 8 does it.

Haoning Qu

Hi,

you can map a tiller axis to a separate control. This is what I have done. But it is more for

realism. As far as I know in P3D you do get much more than 7° angle with the rudders.

Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get to the runway.

What I have done is a very easy setup shown on YouTube. I have not used it enough to

catch the differences between the two. But it seems you are using your rudder pedals as

steering tiller controler? If so that should not be the case. Also I beleive you can't override the

rudder with the tiller. In other words, if you do the rudder check while taxiing, you will have

tiller movement via the rudder even though the tiller controller is left neutral.

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

If you have FSUIPC you can MAP it though it. I use a separate joystick (MS Sidewinder) with a twist axis. 

Safe & smooth flying,

Clarke Ramsey

I use a separate joystick (MS Sidewinder) with a twist axis. 

Almost exactly what i did. Except I use what would be the aileron axis on a Logitech G940 stick.

But it seems you are using your rudder pedals as

steering tiller controler?

I mapped my rudder to "rudder" in FSUIPC. When I turn the rudder on the ground, it controls the tiller as well.

What I have done is a very easy setup shown on YouTube.

Any chance for a link?

Haoning Qu

Any chance for a link?

Google "Steering Tiller setup with FSUIPC" without the quotes. The video will show up in the search results.

Google "Steering Tiller setup with FSUIPC" without the quotes. The video will show up in the search results. 

Found it, that's exactly what I did.

Does anyone know this? In real life, can you check rudder operation while taxiing forward? Also, is it correct to line up with the runway with the tiller and then use rudder pedals to stay on the center line? FCTM suggests line up with the runway, release the tiller, and increase power, but couldn't find anything about flight controls check while taxiing. I know it's in the before taxi checklist, however, all the Air Canada flights I've been on did flight controls check on the first straight taxiway after we started taxiing. Obviously, I can't see the rudders, but that's when ailerons are tested on my flights.

Haoning Qu

On my previous type/company we did the flight controls while taxiing. I liked it because on many airports you are blocking taxiways while doing something you can do while taxiing. By checking them while taxiing you avoid this delay. But....it's SOP. So the crew are just following them.

So, yes. You can do it while taxiing. And it is a limitation of flying a computer. We now have the facility to add a lot of realism, including now a tiller axis. The problem is that the rudder and tiller axes are not talking to eachother. So in P3D when you deflect the rudders while taxiing, you are also steering the nosewheel even though you new tiller axis is neutral.

In real life, you hold the tiller in neutral and operate the rudders. And you feel the tiller wanting to turn with rudder input as they are interconnected. Unfortunately I don't believe it can be done in P3D.

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

The majestic dash 8 has a tiller axis that is separate from the rudder axis. There you can do the flight controls check while taxing straight. It can be done, it just requirer some sort of external control I guess. It would be nice to have such a thing on pmdg birds as well.

Fabrizio Barbierato

CLX319_zps10aeywtl.pngECN0550.png

Unfortunately I don't believe it can be done in P3D.

if there is, I haven't found out how. If PMDG devs can comment, it would be fantastic.

The majestic dash 8 has a tiller axis that is separate from the rudder axis. It would be nice to have such a thing on pmdg birds as well. 

*This is coming from someone who has no idea how to program addons, take it with a few boxes of salt*

If the Majestic Dash 8 has it, that means it's not impossible. I'm sure if Majestic can do it PMDG CAN do it. Again, if PMDG devs can comment, it would be fantastic.

Haoning Qu

if there is, I haven't found out how. If PMDG devs can comment, it would be fantastic.

*This is coming from someone who has no idea how to program addons, take it with a few boxes of salt*

If the Majestic Dash 8 has it, that means it's not impossible. I'm sure if Majestic can do it PMDG CAN do it. Again, if PMDG devs can comment, it would be fantastic.

The Majestic Dash-8 uses spoiler axis as steering tiller, because there is no spoiler axis control on the Dash-8 (Only an 'arm' switch which can be either on, or not on).

If you pull the spoiler handle on the majestic when in the air, nothing happens.

If you pull the spoiler handle on the PMDG 777, the spoilers are meant to open. You can also pull the spoiler handle 2/5ths of the way open and the spoilers will open 2/5ths. Not a thing that the Dash-8 has.

Doing it the same way Majestic does, would remove the 777's spoilers (other than being armed for landing)

Well, they couldn't ld use the prop axis then :P No props on a Boeing jet as far as I'm aware :)

Fabrizio Barbierato

CLX319_zps10aeywtl.pngECN0550.png

I have tried using the rudder axis on my joystick as tiller programmed through FSUIPC (use yoke and pedals for flight controls).

Unfortunately my experience haven´t been good as FSX have frosen out of the blue ALOT.
But with FSL A320 I have only experienced the freeze once during approach.

Best regards

Peter Lund

Best regards

Peter Lund

The Majestic Dash-8 uses spoiler axis as steering tiller, because there is no spoiler axis control on the Dash-8 (Only an 'arm' switch which can be either on, or not on).
If you pull the spoiler handle on the majestic when in the air, nothing happens.

If you pull the spoiler handle on the PMDG 777, the spoilers are meant to open. You can also pull the spoiler handle 2/5ths of the way open and the spoilers will open 2/5ths. Not a thing that the Dash-8 has.

Doing it the same way Majestic does, would remove the 777's spoilers (other than being armed for landing)

FSL did find a workaround for their A320 that work like a charm. The tiller can be mapped separately and the rudder pedals in that case control the steering only with a very limited deflection ( I believe it is 8deg, tbc). You can mapped a button to disconnect the rudder pedals from the steering when you test the rudder.

Maybe could it be done later on for the T7 and the button would allow to simulate hold the tiller while testing the rudder?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

FSL did find a workaround for their A320 that work like a charm. The tiller can be mapped separately and the rudder pedals in that case control the steering only with a very limited deflection ( I believe it is 8deg, tbc). You can mapped a button to disconnect the rudder pedals from the steering when you test the rudder.

Maybe could it be done later on for the T7 and the button would allow to simulate hold the tiller while testing the rudder?

This would be nice indeed. Kyle mentioned that RSR will be posting in the near future with some other news except the 747. Here's hoping the 777 gets some nice updates.

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777