Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What do you miss about the old days?

My 68 Mustang Fastback with all the racing goodies!  I miss those 60's and early 70's muscle cars and hanging out with the boys that owned them.

Aw, were the good old days really so good? Remember the Viet Nam war,Watts and Detroit riots, Kent State, several assassinations, the Cold War, recessions, job droughts. Remember being young and not knowing which direction your life should go.  

Heck, live for today. I,m retired, sleep as late as I want to, have four wonderful grand kids, and this great technology that makes flight sim possible. At 64, medical tech does a good job of helping me stay around a while. Back in the good ole days I would be an old old man at 64.

The question wasn't 'What do you NOT miss about the old days'. :wink: Neither did anyone say the old days were all good. The question simply was 'What do you miss about the old days'. Nothing bad with thinking about the good things that have passed. Count your blessings. Including those from the past.  :wink:

Blockbuster or the video store - It use to be our main date night, going out, getting some food, spend 20 min. strolling the video isles, seeing the people in the store and finally agreeing on what video to take home and watch. Netflix or streaming is absolutely sole-less in comparison.

Now that's something I don't miss at all. Prowling Blockbuster looking for the one movie you can both agree on, because the one you really wanted is out. Searching the shelves that seem to have little rhyme or reason to their organisation, and with numerous DVDs stacked upside-down or spine inwards...

Nowadays we have Sky Movies or I run the Netflix app on my phone, and pipe it to the television via Chromecast. Sure, you still have to pick something to watch, but it's a much faster process, and with so many quality TV series these days (we really are in a golden age of television drama right now), make the choice once and it's made for the next several movie nights. My wife and I watched the first episode of Narcos the other night, so that's the next 10-20 choices sorted.  :Big Grin:

The Flight Engineer.

That person who knew more about the airplane than you ever would.

That person who heard a sound and annunciated the error before the airplane did.

That extra pair of eyes.

The person who would get wet during the walk round whilst you remained dry.

The person who went back and fixed the coffee pot / loo / seat recline / sorted amorous pax out.

The person who collected the overnight allowances.

The person who went ugly early and left you with half a chance with a reasonably good looking stewardess.

I miss him.

• Upvote 3

I'm in my 30s now, but a couple of things seemed to have changed so quickly that I miss or hate:

- People have become really lazy and impersonal thanks to the Internet. Forget sending birthday or Christmas cards, just send a like on Facebook which tells you it is someone's birthday. What's so special or thoughtful about that?

- The internet has made some people lazy, self-entitled and easily bored. As a freeware developer, it amazes me that most people can't even be bothered reading the instructions and moan at me when it doesn't work.

- Everyone sat with their heads in mobile phones. It's so sad and laughable seeing couples or families in restaurants all sat not talking and using their phones instead.

- Maybe this has always been the case, but the need for everyone to film or photograph every little thing (including themselves, selfie-sticks being a pet hate of mine). People out at concerts or tourist traps, I see just far too many people filming it instead of just enjoying it. Anyone ever visited the leaning tower of Pisa, that just makes me cringe?

For me, the biggest change has been the internet and then the rapid growth of computers and smartphones. There is so much to be positive about and it really has made everything so much easier, but some things I remember before make me feel a little nostalgic:

- Going to the library and feeling excited picking up a book about science or a foreign language. I couldn't just find what I wanted instantly on the Internet and it made me read the entire book about something that caught my eye. The internet seems to have taken the wonder out of learning new things. (But wow is it so much easier now to find the answer to a question).

- Playing outside and being outside instead of behind a computer.

- Travelling a few miles from home felt like another world and an adventure. Now travelling to another country feels like nothing anymore.

- Having a foreign penpal and being really excited receiving a letter in the mail.

I'm excited to see where technology will go in the next 30 years, but I'm also sad at what it is doing to people and how we now interact with each other.

• Upvote 2

The Flight Engineer.

That person who knew more about the airplane than you ever would.

That person who heard a sound and annunciated the error before the airplane did.

That extra pair of eyes.

The person who would get wet during the walk round whilst you remained dry.

The person who went back and fixed the coffee pot / loo / seat recline / sorted amorous pax out.

The person who collected the overnight allowances.

The person who went ugly early and left you with half a chance with a reasonably good looking stewardess.

I miss him.

Love it!

When you say "I miss him", I wonder if Flight Engineers were ever a "her"?. I don't recall ever seeing one.

The question wasn't 'What do you NOT miss about the old days'. :wink: Neither did anyone say the old days were all good. The question simply was 'What do you miss about the old days'. Nothing bad with thinking about the good things that have passed. Count your blessings. Including those from the past.  :wink:

Point taken. My point is "what do I miss about the old days", very little. Today is better. I'm thankful God let me live to enjoy now.

Vic green

Point taken. My point is "what do I miss about the old days", very little. Today is better. I'm thankful God let me live to enjoy now.

Point also taken!  :wink:

Fortunately, those of us  who remember the good old days will not be around when the Robots take over in about 50 years or so...

Tom, Chock (where did he go?). Table-top games...

7_zpss2ilc2do.jpg

8_zps9bjvilcb.jpg

5_zpsolzdjefl.jpg

3_zpsrwcsui0d.jpg

6_zpsctkappqf.jpg

2_zpsnigik2vh.jpg

1_zpslhsvwmmx.jpg

4_zpsx1lk5zvt.jpg

And innocence in the face of the utterly outrageous...

9_zpsgdosohob.jpg

10_zpsjrmsfwqf.jpg

And, most oddly, the smell from the now closed aluminium foundry on the other side of town.

Now I'm going home to wallow.

D

I'm in my 30s now, but a couple of things seemed to have changed so quickly that I miss or hate:

- People have become really lazy and impersonal thanks to the Internet. Forget sending birthday or Christmas cards, just send a like on Facebook which tells you it is someone's birthday. What's so special or thoughtful about that?

- The internet has made some people lazy, self-entitled and easily bored. As a freeware developer, it amazes me that most people can't even be bothered reading the instructions and moan at me when it doesn't work.

- Everyone sat with their heads in mobile phones. It's so sad and laughable seeing couples or families in restaurants all sat not talking and using their phones instead.

- Maybe this has always been the case, but the need for everyone to film or photograph every little thing (including themselves, selfie-sticks being a pet hate of mine). People out at concerts or tourist traps, I see just far too many people filming it instead of just enjoying it. Anyone ever visited the leaning tower of Pisa, that just makes me cringe?

For me, the biggest change has been the internet and then the rapid growth of computers and smartphones. There is so much to be positive about and it really has made everything so much easier, but some things I remember before make me feel a little nostalgic:

- Going to the library and feeling excited picking up a book about science or a foreign language. I couldn't just find what I wanted instantly on the Internet and it made me read the entire book about something that caught my eye. The internet seems to have taken the wonder out of learning new things. (But wow is it so much easier now to find the answer to a question).

- Playing outside and being outside instead of behind a computer.

- Travelling a few miles from home felt like another world and an adventure. Now travelling to another country feels like nothing anymore.

- Having a foreign penpal and being really excited receiving a letter in the mail.

I'm excited to see where technology will go in the next 30 years, but I'm also sad at what it is doing to people and how we now interact with each other.

+! for the entire post

• Upvote 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Tom, Chock (where did he go?). Table-top games...

And innocence in the face of the utterly outrageous...

And, most oddly, the smell from the now closed aluminium foundry on the other side of town.

Now I'm going home to wallow.

D

I had no idea these games even existed.

Thanks for the info, going to have to look into them when I get a chance.