Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

What do you miss about the old days?

I highly miss the old days from FSX when I flew the Project Airbus and using only default airports. But don't get me wrong, I had worse performance in FSX than now with the complex airliners and payware airports in P3D v3. It just was the time when I was keeping the stuff simple and I enjoyed simming more than now! Simplicity always beats complexity. Why? Because complexity in our flight sims means more crashes, lower performance, higher VAS usage, more tinkering with the airports (disabling some BGL's, test, and repeat the steps few times). And not to mention hundreds of dollars spent on airports and more to come! Do I enjoy more? Visually yes, immersion is amazing, but the whole mess with the scenery library, VAS monitoring, money spending, etc, tends to kill most of the enjoyment for me. Also, I can't fly without FS2CREW and FMC anymore, and boy, oh boy oh boy, I regret the day when I decided to be introduced to complex airplane addons with the FMC, AIRAC, system depth, etc. Now I must spend 10 minutes in PFPX and then 25 minutes with FS2CREW doing pre-flight stuff (programming the FMC, boarding, checklists...), making all the flights longer by at least half an hour, and that is the problem when you have a 4 year old daughter, and another kid is on the way (spring 2017), so the time for simming is narrowing fast. To be honest, I didn't flew a proper commercial flight in months, just shorter GA VFR flight just to remind myself how much I love flight simming and anything related to it.

Why I can't keep it simple now again in P3D? Because I'm addicted to complexity, and audio/visual immersion. I curse the day when I decided to go that way.  :smile: Sounds harsh, but it is a fact.

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Why I can't keep it simple now again in P3D? Because I'm addicted to complexity, and audio/visual immersion. I curse the day when I decided to go that way.  :smile: Sounds harsh, but it is a fact.

There is, perhaps, a happy medium. Keep the airports, scenery and weather and just use a less complex aircraft. The A2A C172, C182 and Piper Cherokee and Comanche (heck, even the Cub) are all in their own way just as much faithful and realistic representations of their real-world counterparts as say, the PMDG 737, but you can get them in the air a lot quicker.

The Flight Engineer.

That person who knew more about the airplane than you ever would.

That person who heard a sound and annunciated the error before the airplane did.

That extra pair of eyes.

The person who would get wet during the walk round whilst you remained dry.

The person who went back and fixed the coffee pot / loo / seat recline / sorted amorous pax out.

The person who collected the overnight allowances.

The person who went ugly early and left you with half a chance with a reasonably good looking stewardess.

I miss him.

This is brilliant.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

I had no idea these games even existed.

Thanks for the info, going to have to look into them when I get a chance.

I was thinking the same thing.  And judging by the pictures on some of the flight games' boxes they aren't THAT old.  And those games would've been something I would've really gone after if I had known about them.  And that two-level Chopper Strike game reminded me of a similar game I had, but it used submarines instead.  Can't remember the name and can't even find it on eBay.

Jeff

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

When Peoples Express would wheel the cash register down the aisle - AFTER takeoff - to collect the fare...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

When Peoples Express would wheel the cash register down the aisle - AFTER takeoff - to collect the fare...

Regards,

Scott

Brilliant. I didn't realise anyone had ever collected fares that way. What happened if you couldn't pay, though...kicked off at the next stop?  :smile:

4 color low rez graphics

dial up internet

20 megabyte hardrives

8086 processors

Commodore 64

$4,000 laser printers

$5,000 IBM ATs

Compuserve

15 mpg cars

stagflation

The Cold War

Watergate

The Vietnam War

Riots

carbon paper

whiteout

sliderules

party lines

telephone booths

The military draft. Seem to have resulted in more solid citizens.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

What I miss...

Stand alone flight sims that by today's standards seem pretty simple but at the time were fantastic.... Gunship, F19 stealthfighter, the Janes series, F22 by Wild Bill Stealey, flight unlimited and those fabulous printed manuals that came with them. Also not to forget the early MS flight simulators. I remember getting a Commadore 64 and then seeing the Amiga 500. WOW. I even had one of the early Sinclairs that used a cassette to load the flight sim program.

I miss when airline travel was enjoyable and passengers were treated with respect...IE security. I remember one time when I really didn't want yet another body scan and they then insisted on a full body pat down. The individual (male) seemed to spend much more time than needed fondling my (use imagination here)...and you can't say a word in complaint.

One thing I treasure was 40 years in the cockpit and I loved the view out the front as much as the handling of the aircraft. Particularly gratifying was 9 years of FW forest fire suppression. I retired earlier this year. I'm grateful to all the various flight simulations we have these days that make it possible to keep on flying at home with a coffee nearby. Creators like PMDG, Eaglesoft, Real Air, DCS, scenery creators, and others too numerous to name.....enough said.

• Upvote 1

We have wonderful and interesting times nowadays that I'm sure most here do appreciate.

But with mostly seasoned people in these forums, I wonder about the title question. It can be one thing, or several.

I was MUCH younger then!  :wink:

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Bill Alderson

The whole world, as it was on September 10th 2001.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Amen...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Agreed...apart from the burst dot com bubble...