Sign in to follow this  
twister1853

Starting again with ORBX/FTX

Hi,

I purchased 3 Orbx/Ftx DVD's (one from FlightStore and two from PC Aviator) about 4 years ago, and installed them on a PC that I have now replaced.  So I have not used these products since and I have forgotten completely how to start using them again on the new PC. The DVD's were for USA Canada Pacific Fjords 1.0 USA Canada Northern Rockies 1.0 and Unitied States Central Rockies 1.0.  How do I start afresh and get back into using Orbx/FTX ? 

Thanks

Ray

Hm, bit of a bad moment to come back to Orbx with old DVD's. I'm afraid. Last week Orbx released FTX Central 3 and their new OrbxDirect shop. As it is right now those old dvd's aren't yet supported. You might try to install them and see what happens but you won't be able update the installed add ons for now. I also don't know what sim you plan on using (FSX or P3D). Those dvd's might work with FSX but probably not with the latest version of P3D. Not all is lost though because Orbx has promised this (copied from their FAQ):

Q15 What about all my boxed DVD products I have on the shelf? How can I convert or crossgrade them to digital licenses?

A15
We will be offering a DVD-to-digital cross grade service from OrbxDirect very soon, we have hired an admin staff to handle these requests and there will be a dedicated email address you will use to send proof of DVD ownership etc. More information soon!

It might be an idea to create an OrbxDirect account right now ( https://orbxdirect.com/ ) and download and install FTX Central 3 and then wait for this cross grade service. It will probably mean you won't be able to actually use those dvd's anymore but you will be able to download brand new and up to date versions of your purchases. Orbx doesn't do dvd's anymore at all: they moved to the cloud for everything they do.

Many thanks for that prompt reply.  I only have FSX Acceleration. So I suspect I could as you suggest, try to install the DVD's (if I could remember all that entails). But that would take me back to what things were 4 or 5 years ago!  The information on a "DVD-to-digital cross grade service from OrbxDirect" looks interesting but what does "convert or crossgrade them to digital licenses" really mean, in Q15 above?  If I understood that, it might possibly be what I need in the near future.

It means this: your dvd-license will be turned into a digital license which you can use in FTX Central 3. So as soon as you have done this (when the option becomes available) you can throw away your DVD'S and you will find your products in FTX Central 3 (if you have created an OrbxDirect account) from which you can download and install them 'out of the cloud'. This means downloading and installing can only be done using the internet... You can of course backup a download on a disk (or burn the installer on a DVD) but you will have to download it at least once. FTX Central 3 requires internet so your sim PC needs to have that (though only for validation and installation, not for actually using it).

Thanks again Jeroen.  That's very clear indeed and the fog has lifted: I now will keep a look out for the "DVD-to-digital cross grade service" from OrbxDirect.

Ray