Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Wouldn't it be great if....

You could go back in time....say 30 seconds or more to perfect a landing, or solve the problem that corrects a crash, or a serious error in flight.   I'm talking about FSX, of course.  

I just made a great flight from Allentown, Pa to Sanford airport in Florida with an Allegiant MD-83. This flight took a little over 2 hours out of my life. As I'm flying closer to my destination,  I want to complete this flight flawlessly because it has been error-free......except for the landing.  This plane is unforgiving if you come down too hard on the front gear. It was a beautiful landing at 150 knots, and I flared perhaps just a little too much. Then I came down on that sensitive front landing gear (you have to come down very gently with this plane)  THAT was my only error.  It crashed, but I'd love to see someone come up with a program that allows me to try that EXACT landing again.  Instead....I found myself back at my starting airport after the crash.

There used to be a sim that allowed that "re-do"...I believe it was Pro Pilot.   I'm sure what I'm describing has happened to you, and hopefully you feel the same way I do. 

Is there a software genius out there that could give us a small program that gives us a move back in time AFTER A CRASH for no more than a minute.  That would be great!

Stan

The only "trick" that I know of is to hit the semicolon key about a minute or two before landing, which saves the flight up to that point and then go from there.  If you fail the landing you can always go back and redo what you did wrong to make that landing as perfect as you can.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you have or get fsuipc then this has a configurable autosave.

Alternatively you might like to try FSXSave, although I haven't tried this program.

These would allow you to reload an autosaved flight to allow you to retry the landing.

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Before I switched to DX10 I routinely saved the flight with a key stroke at the runway, in mid cruise and on long approach, just in case. I dont get OOMS or CTDs anymore though, so I get to finish all my flights, but I know what you mean. few weeks ago Id forgotten to run the FTX Vector Configurator after an airport install and as I touched down on Manchester airport's runway I went straight through it. Wouldnt it be great if ....!

Either save the flight before you start your approach and/or turn off crash detection. Simple.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FSXSave will do the trick, but you have to keep in mind that the panel state of a more complex add-on aircraft will not be saved (this is a general FSX limitation). So a third party tool would have to automatically fetch, save and load any variable that is not covered by the default save file.

Other than that, work on your landings. In the 727 and other aircraft with a long forward fuselage (CRJ, MD-80, Tu-154 etc...), the technique for a good landing is keeping some power applied until touchdown and then lowering the nose gear in a smooth motion while pulling the throttles back to idle. Leave the flaring to the wing-mounted engine jockeys (737, A320, etc...).

If you can't get into the groove, go around. A little embarassment is a good tradeoff for a wrecked multimillion Dollar aircraft.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thanks.  This FSX Save looks interesting.  I usually do not have this problem, but I just thought that "re-trying" anything in FSX might be good from a training standpoint.  You don't have to CRASH to use such a feature.  Perhaps you'd just like to try anything over again.  Good be a botched takeoff or literally anything that takes place during a flight. 

Stan