Sign in to follow this  
aatd

OS Advice Sought?

I'll start-off by saying I'm not very tech savvy, so hopefully my question isn't too foolish.

I currently run FSX acceleration (boxed) on an i5 2500k (overclocked ~4,3 gb), 8 gb ram, and GTX 1060 (3gb), operating on Windows 7, with a large suite of Saitek controls and instruments.  I am thinking it might be time to try out Prepar3d, v 3,4 but I understand (??) that it is recommended it operate in Windows 10, presumably to take advantage of its 64 bit environment(??).  However, I am also reading that FSX users, particularly those using Saitek devices, are having quite a few problems getting it stabilized in Win 10.

My question is what do I lose in operating Prepar3d v 3,4 on Windows 7?  If the loss is material (??), I'll have to make a more basic decision, FSX or Prepar3d (win 7 or win 10).

Whatever practical advice would be appreciated,

Regards,

Brian

I am thinking it might be time to try out Prepar3d, v 3,4 but I understand (??) that it is recommended it operate in Windows 10.

Hello Brian,

No,  Prepar3D will Install and Run in Windows 7, 8 and 10.       Regarding compatibility, Windows 10 is the last in the door.    

From the Prepar3D Questions and Answers  

Is Prepar3D v3 Compatible with Windows 10?

Yes, Prepar3D v3 is compatible with Windows 10. However not all hardware drivers have been updated for Windows 10 so it is important to check with the manufacturer of your hardware when upgrading to Windows 10.

My question is what I lose in installing and operating Prepar3d v 3,4 on Windows 7?  If the loss is material (??)

With Prepar3D Installed on Windows 7,  You will have a Great Set-Up everything is Compatible.  But lots and lots of simmers are using Windows 10 as well with no problems whats so ever 

Coming for one that uses both to run sims, believe me when I tell you that you should stick with w7... the main issue is that w10 upgrades like crazy causing instability.

I also found that CPU benchmarks performed lower on Win10, with the exception of 32-bit (which we don't want to use!).

Thanks all for your advice.

As I mentioned, I'm really not technically savvy, so am trying to avoid a situation where I'm going to have to navigate through a lot of diagnostics and tweaking of the core elements of the sim.

I have never run Prepar3d, any version, so am basing my "understanding" of the OS requirement for v 3,4 on the Lockheed site which says it "strongly recommends" Win 10 for this version, but that Win 7 is ok for earlier generations.  I know that this release is only a few months old so perhaps there isn't a great deal of experience to share on it just yet?

I am also going with various stories, here and elsewhere, describing an array of set-up and stability challenges related to FSX (box)  as well as Saitek devices operating on Win 10,  Perhaps these problems have been resolved, if so, that sort of feedback would be quite helpful,  

Again, thanks everyone,

Brian

Stick with Win 7.  Absolutely smooth sailing thru all versions of P3D.

Thanks for the advice JF.  Hate to ask, but are you aware of similar experience with v3,4?  I believe (??) it was only just released in sept/oct '16.  Staying with Win 7 is my preference if viable,

Regards,

Brian

I have installed both OS on my computer (W7 and W10 dual boot), and I have yet to figure out any advantage or feature that Windows 10 brings to the table over Windows 7. (Actually, Windows 10 has some bugs that Windows 7 doesn't have). I still use Windows 7 as my main OS, and if you go for it, you will ensure the best possible compatibility with all kinds of software.

Thank AfterBurner,

There is a mixed response on my OS question, but most seem to agree with you, JF, DragoB and others that Win 7 is a better choice.

Does anyone here have a thought on why it is that Lockheed has switched their recommended OS from 7 to 10 beginning with their v3.x Prepar3d?  Are there identified benefits or is this simply because MS no longer supports 7 so it was a logical time to change?

My second concern, apart from the sim software performance, is using my large suite of Saitek controls/instruments in Win 10.  I haven't done a lot of reading on this, but some of what I have seen seems to say there are an array of set-up and stability problems with Saitek in Win 10.  True?

All of your feedback is helping clear the fog,

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

There are lots of held opinions and each is as valid to the holder as any other.

For myself, I run P3D 3.4 with Windows 10 and use FSUIPC to connect flawlessly with my Saitek hardware. Enjoy the extra smoothness and stability such combinations offer.

Not sure about FSX anymore as I immigrated (so to speak) a few years ago.

Kind regards,

Does anyone here have a thought on why it is that Lockheed has switched their recommended OS from 7 to 10 beginning with their v3.x Prepar3d?

I would guess as core focus is now moving away from Win7/8 to Win10 in terms of driver support etc that it will become the main platform to develop on for LM. If your developing in a Win10 environment then its makes sense to recommend this as the main supported OS so your customer base is aligned to that same environment.

Personally speaking Win10 has not missed a beat and P3D has worked flawlessly under it.

Thanks Novation,

That makes sense. My worry about Win 10 is twofold. First, are the troubles some have reported having FSX (boxed) get set-up and stabilized on 10 still ongoing or resolved; and second, are similar issues related to Saitek controls and instruments in 10 now resolved? I dread moving to 10 and being confronted with a suite of troubleshooting challenges -- definitely not my skill set,

If it is the case that Prepar3d v 3,4 will setup and operate well on Win 7, I would likely stay on that OS, at least until I can decide if the LM sim is the way I want to go. I've never used it so just don't know,

Regards,

Brian

I would be very confident that P3D will continue to work perfectly under Win7 for the foreseeable future, so I would not worry about keeping it if you feel more comfortable under that OS Brian. I don't use FSX or Saitek controls, so can't speak for those products working correctly under Win10.

Does anyone here have a thought on why it is that Lockheed has switched their recommended OS from 7 to 10 beginning with their v3.x Prepar3d?

Probably because Microsoft has brainwashed them into thinking that Windows 10 is the second coming of the messiah.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Christopher,

It's not??

I guess, not knowing any better, that it makes commercial sense to make the commitment to the current and ongoing OS given that Win 7 is pretty much unsupported on a go-forward basis.  But if there aren't any known set-up and/or operating performance benefits for v 3,4, it sounds like I might be better off staying with Win 7 for now.  At least until I know if I want to continue with the LM sim.  Yes?

Brian