Sign in to follow this  
aatd

OS Advice Sought?

Probably because Microsoft has brainwashed them into thinking that Windows 10 is the second coming of the messiah.

I'm missing a "Vote this post down" button right now.

• Upvote 1

A few months ago LM answered a post on this topic. They said they were recommending Win 7 at that time because that was what they were developing on. They did not have experience with Win 10 so were not able to recommend it  'at that time'. Obviously in the meantime they have been able to gain experience with Win 10 and feel able to recommend it for P3D. They have not expressed any preference or given any indication that they no longer recommend Win 7.

To the OP's question, in regard to using P3D you lose nothing by staying with Win 7 and appear to neither gain nor lose anything where P3D is concerned with Win 10.  

On the other hand Win 10 is the newer OS and some people believe newer is always better. Some claimed Vista was better than Win XP.

John B

Hello John,

Thank you for the LM thinking.  I think this pretty much settles me on continuing with Win 7, at least until there is an indicated benefit in migrating to the new OS.  It also gives me some added comfort since my Saitek hardware seems to operate properly in 7.

I think this question is "solved"

Thanks again all,

Brian

Hi Brian and welcome to Avsim.

I've also followed your hardware thread.  For users such as you and me, that aren't exactly running what we'd call 'cutting edge' technology', I've learnt that after numerous installs of Windows 10, that I always end up arriving at a snag, and therefore reverting back to Windows 7.  The reason.....  There are no dedicated, manufacturer supplied drivers for much of our hardware.  Significantly, the chipset drivers.  Nor will there EVER be in most cases, and that's important.  Good as the Win10 drivers are, there does appear to be SOME sets of circumstances when gremlins seem to lurk in the hardware.

I also have several of the Saitek Pro switch panels you mention and, although I cannot confirm there was ever a direct Win10 issue with them, I DO NOT get the same gremlins surfacing when running P3D or FSX under Win7.  I drew my own conclusions from that.

I for one, will be staying with Windows7 until it becomes problematic not to.

Whatever you do, enjoy you simming AND your time at Avsim. We're mostly a good bunch;-)

Thanks Dougal,

That is very practical experience and advice.  The worst case scenario is a new round of reinstall down the road with Win 10, but it is sounding like that is not likely going to be required.

Again, many thanks,

Brian