Sign in to follow this  
aatd

OS Advice Requested

I can see that this issue has been widely discussed, but given that I am not at all tech savvy, I am hoping to get practical advice on my question.  

That is, whether FSX acceleration (boxed), can be relatively easily installed and set-up to run stably on Windows 10?  I run a i5 2500k (overclocked), GTX 1060 (3 gb), 8 GB ram along with a large suite of Saitek controls and instruments -- all of which work well in Win 7.  However, I am contemplating trying out Prepar3d v 3,4, which Lockheed "strongly recommends" operate on a Win 10, 64 bit platform.  This differs from their recommendation for earlier generations, which they state operate satisfactorily on Win 7.

If it is a hassle to get FSX (boxed) working on Windows 10, I'll have to decide which simulator and OS to install??

Many thanks for any practical advice,

Brian

FSX will work great with Windows 10.  See other posts in this forum.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim,

I'm digging through the various posts.  So far, I'm hearing about both success and drama involving both fsx (boxed) and saitek devices -- but to be honest, not being tech savvy, its a bit difficult sorting through the wheat and the chafe.   That, and what problems that are reported may already be resolved with current updates.  I'll keep looking,

Best regards,

Brian

As Jim says, yes, FSX & P3D work well with Windows 10. Just install into C:\ & not their default directories, & run as admin (just to be safe)

Kind Regards,

Robin

Do not get involved in 'analysis paralysis'. If you do have issues, just give a call on the forums here. We are all willing to help. :smile: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

One reason I went back to Windows 7 was the OpenGL bug that they brought in with the anniversary edition of Windows 10 which affected X-Plane (OpenGL rendering) which I also have.

Stick with what works.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Most serious issues with Windows 10 seem to occur when the system has been upgraded from a previous version of Windows. Although it can be a pain, if you carry out a clean install of the latest version, which includes the Anniversary Update, and make sure that you get Windows 10 drivers for the motherboard and all of your peripherals from the outset you are much more likely to have a problem free system. If you get a new hard drive (quite inexpensive for large drives now) and install it on that, in the unlikely event that you do have issues, you can always go back to your old drive with Windows 7 and be painlessly back in your current position.

The OpenGL problems with Windows 10 seem to be system-dependent - many people in the X-Plane forums have had no problems running it after the Anniversary Update. Anything fundamentally wrong with Windows 10 would affect everybody and, clearly, this doesn't.

Whilst I can't speak for the boxed edition, I've had no problems installing and running FSX:SE on my new-build Windows 10 machine. If you're not in too much of a rush, wait for the next Steam sale and SE is usually a real bargain.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I did an update from Windows 7, then to Windows 8, then to 8.1 then to Windows 10.

All I had to do was to manually update graphics drivers when I went from Windows 8.1 to 10. No issues at all.

Oh, I have always turned my UAC right down.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thank you Wobbie,

I hadn't heard anything about UAC -- in fact, know nothing about it.  If it helps either stability or performance, it might make sense for me to do the same,

Regards,

Brian

Just to give an alternative perspective, I've always left UAC at its default setting and it's never caused me any problems with either FSX:MS or FSX:SE in both Windows 7 and 10. My view is that it's there to provide another layer of security, it doesn't seem to affect performance and I can live with the odd extra mouse click to get things going.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Most serious issues with Windows 10 seem to occur when the system has been upgraded from a previous version of Windows.

Not! I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without ANY issues at all, apart from manually updating my graphics driver, & I'm running 3x versions of FS2004 & P3D.

No issues or problems on my 4 year old i5 4GB laptop ever.

UAC does not affect performance or stability. It is Microsoft nagging if you, in their opinion, try do something that they do not like, for example, if you have a sim install in it's default directory & try to edit a config file, it will nag & not let you. By turning it down, you have full controll of your PC. Mine has always been set off, on both my PC's. It's a pain in the b_tt!, & quite a few add-on developers actually recommend turning it off!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Not! I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without ANY issues at all, apart from manually updating my graphics driver, & I'm running 3x versions of FS2004 & P3D.

No issues or problems on my 4 year old i5 4GB laptop ever.

UAC does not affect performance or stability. It is Microsoft nagging if you, in their opinion, try do something that they do not like, for example, if you have a sim install in it's default directory & try to edit a config file, it will nag & not let you. By turning it down, you have full controll of your PC. Mine has always been set off, on both my PC's. It's a pain in the b_tt!, & quite a few add-on developers actually recommend turning it off!

I'm not saying that you will definitely get problems if you've upgraded from an earlier version of Windows, just that you're more likely to. Most of the people with problems are those who've upgraded rather than clean-installed.

Using UAC is obviously a personal choice. I've never found the extra click a nuisance so I've always left it on and not had any problems because of it. See here for a good explanation of why you should keep it on - http://www.howtogeek.com/124754/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-disable-uac/. On my old system I even had FSX installed in its default directory and had no issues. As long as everything associated with FSX is definitely run "as administrator" there shouldn't be a problem - it's easy to do with a simple batch file.

Ooops, I did forget to add 'Run as Admin'.

For fun, I installed the sim in it's default directory (C:\Program Files...), as well as another version, 2 actually, in the C:\ root directory just to see if there would be any differences. Nothing. Oh, my P3D is also in it's default diretory.

So, for me, all works well, & has since Windows 7 days. So, no popup, & all works.

Anyhow, different strokes, I surpose.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Anyhow, different strokes, I surpose.

Absolutely! There's no perfect universal solution, just what works for you.

After MONTHS of deliberating whether to stay on 7  I went from 7 to 10, via the update route (VIA CD I created form the windows site) , rather than a clean instal, just could not face reinstalling all my programs again with a clean instal.

Also I waited many months after the release of 10 rather than jumped straight in,I  use some Saitek hardware and I believe early on there were issues with that, only think I have is one of my Saitek FIP's occasionally drops out. 

Occasionally when Windows 10 does an update  I have to go through each of my USB hubs and untick "allow pc to switch off to save power" as these sometimes seem to reset to default.

So far (touch wood) all has been ok with FSX running over a triple monitor setup on 10.

Regards

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Did you know that you can still do an update to Windows 10? It actually works, a few weeks ago, I updated 4 laptops this way!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

From Microsoft..

If you use assistive technologies, you can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.

With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, we’ve taken a number of steps to improve the accessibility of Windows 10. To learn more, read our blog that details some of these improvements.

Before you upgrade, please check with your assistive technology provider(s) to learn more about their software compatibility with Windows 10.

If you want Windows 10 now and are ready to take advantage of the free upgrade offer, select the button below to get started.

Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my free upgrade to Windows 10. * '

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...