Sign in to follow this  
ibennett

Nav data update

hi,

how will we be able to keep the nav data up to date ?

This is a must if we want to use it in our cocpits.

thanks

• Upvote 1

Since the gauge is based on the real Garmin trainer, the only way to keep the nav data up to date is to get a subscription to the Garmin data.

DJ

Or get an update whenever Garmin updates their GTN trainers.  You don't need to install it the new trainer (as it might not work with RXP or F1's version), instead you need to extract the data and copy the respective files to the new db folder.

PM me for details

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

ryan, do you know if the method of upgrading the database is the same as F1's method? where we replace some of the files in the db directory?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It is even easier! you don't have to replace your files, just point our GTN to the folder you've copied them:

edit/create a GTNDBFILE environment variable with the path to your DB file, like "C:\myfiles\my_new_avdb.bin

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Wow, that's an even better implementation to update the nav database. But my understanding that there are more than 1 db files... such as taxi ways, and terrain db as well... what about those?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It's easy! 

GTNSIMPATH environment variable to set the path to your trainer, typically:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GTN Trainer\GTN\sys\sim

GTNSIMDATA environment variable to set the path to your files, typically:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer Data\

GTNDBFILE environment variable to set the database file only, typically:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer Data\DB\xxxxxx.bin

This way, you can override path to the other db files (obstacle, baseman, safetaxi etc...) and separately override path to the aviation database.

• Upvote 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Thanks, thats pretty cool! :)

There's a lot of people that keep asking me how to update the NAV data for the Reality XP.   This is possible.   It works for whether it is a GNS (430/530) or GTN-series GPS.  Doesn't matter.

The GTN uses a Garmin database. 

This is not compatible with Navigraph. 

There are actually several databases that can be updated.

NAV = avtn_WW_db.bin

Safe Taxi = safetaxi.bin

Terrain = AMRN.dat

BaseMap = bmap.bin

Obstacles = ???

These can be found in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db\  (just replace the drive letter to where it was installed)

If you have a subscription with Garmin (whether you have a GNS430/530 or GTN-series GPS in your ACTUAL plane) - these files can be easily copied to the above directory.   You will need to RENAME avtn_db.bin --> avtn_WW_db.bin

Terrain will also have to be RENAMED (trn.dat --> AMRN.dat)

Don't forget about changing the ATTRIBUTES.  The Garmin files come in as (RASH).  These need to be changed to (A)rchive

Just for the sake of clarity, the latest Trainer_2.00.3 files are named somewhat differently. For example, the world-wide terrain database is now named:

C:\Trainer\CommonAppData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db\006-D2659-00.dat

We need to rename the existing AMRN.dat to something like orgAMRN.dat, then rename the copy of 006-D2659-00.dat to AMRN.dat... 

I hope that helps

On 6/29/2017 at 3:53 PM, airmail227 said:

There's a lot of people that keep asking me how to update the NAV data for the Reality XP.   This is possible.   It works for whether it is a GNS (430/530) or GTN-series GPS.  Doesn't matter.

The GTN uses a Garmin database. 

This is not compatible with Navigraph. 

There are actually several databases that can be updated.

NAV = avtn_WW_db.bin

Safe Taxi = safetaxi.bin

Terrain = AMRN.dat

BaseMap = bmap.bin

Obstacles = ???

These can be found in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db\  (just replace the drive letter to where it was installed)

If you have a subscription with Garmin (whether you have a GNS430/530 or GTN-series GPS in your ACTUAL plane) - these files can be easily copied to the above directory.   You will need to RENAME avtn_db.bin --> avtn_WW_db.bin

Terrain will also have to be RENAMED (trn.dat --> AMRN.dat)

Don't forget about changing the ATTRIBUTES.  The Garmin files come in as (RASH).  These need to be changed to (A)rchive

Just for the sake of clarity, the latest Trainer_2.00.3 files are named somewhat differently. For example, the world-wide terrain database is now named:

C:\Trainer\CommonAppData\Garmin\GTN Trainer\db\006-D2659-00.dat

We need to rename the existing AMRN.dat to something like orgAMRN.dat, then rename the copy of 006-D2659-00.dat to AMRN.dat... 

I hope that helps

Hi, i´ve an Garmin 430 subscription and I found the .BIN file for my database (USA&Latin America) C:\ProgramData\Jeppesen\Jdm\.jsum\download\dgrm72_1711_F2889A27.BIN.
I've been trying to update my RXP Database but it crashes the Garmin trainer.

My trainer has the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\GNS Trainer\GNS\db and inside this folder i've a file worldwide.bin that's the database (Cycle 1511).

I changed the dgrm72_1711_F2889A27.BIN to worldwide.BIN but the Garmin trainer and P3D GNS430 still crashes.

I double checked the Atributes and both files are Archive.

What i'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

I believe that the file you are looking for is called avtn_db.bin.

It is likely contained inside the bin file you are looking at..

I've sent you a PM

Bert

30 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I believe that the file you are looking for is called avtn_db.bin.

It is likely contained inside the bin file you are looking at..

I've sent you a PM

PM Read, but stil can't load my database files :(

Hi,

First, you don't have to rename/overwrite your existing DB file for experimenting a new one: our solution provides the means for you to specifically configure the path to different trainer data, including the DB specifically. It is in the User's Manual (environment variables).

Then, the  .BIN file you've got is probably a disk image, not a file. The DB has to be 'extracted' out of the image. In most case, a simple HEX editor which shows you the content and can erase mouse-selected areas will suffice.

Comparing a working file, with your .BIN image, in an HEX editor will reveal what you need to remove from the start of the file easily. The byte amount to remove is also a multiple of 16 most of the time.