Sign in to follow this  
ibennett

Nav data update

reviving old convo - i have a garmin database subscription..... how can i update the CHARTS in the GTN Trainer using my chart subscription?

2 hours ago, crazedpilot said:

reviving old convo - i have a garmin database subscription..... how can i update the CHARTS in the GTN Trainer using my chart subscription?

Never updated charts before. The related navdata is located in ....../program data/garmin/gtn trainer/db

What is the filename for the charts?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hi,

In previous trainers, the charts where in the card file (it is just a disk image, rename to .iso and mount the image to see the content). With GTN trainer 6.41, there is no card anymore and the files are installed as-is into:

"C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases".

The charts files are:

• fc_tpc\fc_tpc.dat which looks like the "charts directory"
  • fc_tpc\charts\*.fca which are the per-airport charts themselves.

NB: trainer 6.41 has more recent charts but misses the Canadian charts found in trainer 6.21.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you for the reply RXP - have you tested doing an update?   Curious on the steps in 6.41......

Can we just delete all the fc_tpc charts and fc_tpc.dat files?   What OTHER files need to come off the Garmin data card from my plane?    Or do I just do a full replace on anything and everything it wants to EXCEPT move the Charts to fc_tpc folder?

Thanks,

-Brendan

I really can't tell, but should you have the data, provided you make a backup of the existing in case, you might want to try out and let us know?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Initial signs are good -  it's running, charts load (seemingly correct including departures) and the SIDS and STARS are loading correctly.  Maybe a cleaner way, ut here's what I did:

1. Copied the entire contents of my GTN750 card (all the files in the root folder) to the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases folder, and OVERWRITE originals.

2. Copied DATACARD\ldr_sys CONTENTS (two files)  to the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases folder, and OVERWRITE originals

3. Copied DATACARD\active\fc_tpc FOLDER to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\fc_tpc folder, and OVERWRITE originals.

Looks good so far, hope this helps others. 

-Brendan

• Upvote 3

Ok so I am not a computer programmer and dont even know how to create a .bin file. I have the GTN 750 for xplane but the DB its running is old I think its 1605 or something like that. 

Whats the easiest way for me to update that? I thought of paying 149 to get a single dataset from garmin however, I dont want to buy it and then not be able to figure out how to use it. You guys are talking WAY above my head. I can go all day in VBA and SQL but .bin files, hexadecimal editors, creating images from .bin files...I have no clue. Can someone tell me the easiest way? 

26 minutes ago, nigelmcelwee said:

Ok so I am not a computer programmer and dont even know how to create a .bin file. I have the GTN 750 for xplane but the DB its running is old I think its 1605 or something like that. 

Whats the easiest way for me to update that? I thought of paying 149 to get a single dataset from garmin however, I dont want to buy it and then not be able to figure out how to use it. You guys are talking WAY above my head. I can go all day in VBA and SQL but .bin files, hexadecimal editors, creating images from .bin files...I have no clue. Can someone tell me the easiest way? 

Hi nigelmcelwee, 

The installation is basically first backing up your existing files and then copying/overwriting them as the new files. crazedpilot gave a great outline, above. I successfully updated the nav data for Garmin Trainer 6.41.1. It won't go wrong for you.

Where do the new files come from? Do I have to buy a dataset from garmin?

On 12/5/2017 at 3:27 PM, crazedpilot said:

Initial signs are good -  it's running, charts load (seemingly correct including departures) and the SIDS and STARS are loading correctly.  Maybe a cleaner way, ut here's what I did:

1. Copied the entire contents of my GTN750 card (all the files in the root folder) to the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases folder, and OVERWRITE originals.

2. Copied DATACARD\ldr_sys CONTENTS (two files)  to the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases folder, and OVERWRITE originals

3. Copied DATACARD\active\fc_tpc FOLDER to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Trainers\Databases\fc_tpc folder, and OVERWRITE originals.

Looks good so far, hope this helps others. 

-Brendan

Can you clarify where DATACARD folder is...  Do you mean the GTN data card?  I am not seeing the databases update so I'm sure i'm not understanding something.  Thanks!

My GTN 750 Data card has the files that you mentioned with the .sff extention... they are only 2K... where as the data files are 11,000+K.  I realize that your post is a couple of years ago... and now I have a 750TXi... is there a way to update the GTN Trainer with my purchased data files?

Just out of curiosity, Microsoft flight simulator 2020 seems to have updated Navdata. Is there a way we could export that into the x-plane RXP GNS430/530 Navdata?