Sign in to follow this  
skybluerob

FS9 version of Orbx

Hi all,

I don't post often, and I'm sure all FS9 users have heard of FS9 Evolution, but for those yet to give it a try, I've just installed it and I can say that it's well worth your while. 

I imagine it needs a fairly decent PC to run to its potential though, however, it does come in two versions, with a 'lite' autogen version too.

I attach a screenshot taking off from Exeter in the UK (using the excellent UK2000 Exeter Extreme airport), and have to say that it's not too dissimilar than the ORBX scenery.  I haven't 'touched up' this screenshot in any way, it's taken direct.  I also use REX and UTX Europe.

So in summary, amazing work from the developer, and well worth getting for FS9 users.  It's donationware, but in my view, is good enough quality to be payware. 

It amazes me how, from the humble beginnings of FS9, it can be turned into so much more thanks to the passion and talent of the FS community.

Rob.

2BGzPS.jpg

Another FS9 pic from the Hong Kong scenic flight in FS9  (FS9 Evo, REX and FS Global).  FS9 used to look pretty bad from low altitude, but looks good now.

igfMYq.jpg

Not quite. Spring isn't included yet, the other four are there. Still worth it though in my view, way, way better than GE (and running silky smooth on my PC). I'm using the GE Spring textures until they're released.

Deja Vu all over again?

Can you provide some shots from above the Netherlands with Howard's ?

Sorry Johan, but there are stunning clips on Howard's site.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

The clips are a bit jittery, which is a little surprising for an FS9 "advert".

How's the performance in sim?

Performance is as default performance. Makes it look like a totally diferent sim. I'm still to install the hdev2 sky & cloud effects by Pablo Diaz. I had those in a previous install of FS9, & that too was an essential (for me) install.

I'm a great supporter of the freeware guys, & often drop them a line to say thanks.

I'm also thinking of trying FEG9v1.1 sky effects as well, to compare with hdev2.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

all these addons like EVO, Natural-World, ORBX for FS9 and so on improve nicely environment in vegetated areas. Unfortunately they amplify vegetation where it should be: at deserts like Sahara or just Nevada. Now I'm using "FS2004 wood & desert" of Marcel Aerni and desert areas are more accurate.

All the developers that keep this great sim alive are amazing.  What they've done with the sim is excellent work, far beyond the original scope.

Upgrades Performed during the Install Process are   New all seasons natural world ground textures New plentiful and more realistic autogen trees European Type autogen road signs New roads and railways New Runway Textures including Markings Etc Pylons and lamp posts place at realistic distances Enhanced 3D buildings  Enhanced water colours and waves New shore line’s textures More stable and crisper environmental rendering New enhanced sky colours  Upgraded clouds Longer contrails AND MUCH MORE

IN ALL OVER 6000 DEFAULT FILES WILL BE ENHANCED

One you install The Natural World, you get 3x icons....

Green Area, Arid Area & Restore..

The Natural World installs a Texture Swap program for Flight Simulator 2004 which can be easily accessed by the FS2004 Texture Swap folder placed on the Windows Start Menu, and desktop The Texture Swapping increases the amount of ground textures made available for Flight Simulator to render. The enhancements include separating and altering ground textures, for green deciduous and Arid Areas.  Due to disc space and program size limitations in the default FS9, Microsoft have used some arid area textures BMP to double as Mooreland/Tundra type land class, which means that in some places like Northern Europe, New Zealand and Scotland, great brown areas supposedly representing dry grass, which to me looks unreal and in most cases is not actually dry grass in the real world. Some default Cities in dryer parts of the world look far too green with lush fields and woodland Cairo spring to mind this now looks as it should 

This has now been addressed by the use of The Natural Worlds Texture Swap Programmes. There is also a MS Default swap option for those flying heavies at high altitude and taking off in one zone and landing in another, this option is limited to the files used by the texture swap program and is not a full MS restore 

Using the Texture Swap Correctly Easy in iconic green or really dry areas. The transition zones is where it become like mud, but still not complicated, its more down to local knowledge or what the eye perceived on a visit to a location or what you think it should be which Restore you load, and I am at pains to advise on it, except to say the use of seasons help, the Arid restore is designed to be used in summer time. 

By Default, The Natural World installs GREEN DECIDUOUS areas  I have produced three quick user friendly restore icon in the Start Menu /  All Programs / to re-install Arid/Green or Semi Arid  textures into FS.  Which cannot be used while FS is running 

You will need to pre-determine which area to have installed, then starting Flight Simulator or close FS to  change areas as flight simulator retains texture sets in it pre-fetch folder.  

So, it is not a region switcher, but more of a season switcher, that will affect the greenery & aridness.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thank you Robin for a very thorough explanation on how "Natural World" works.  Much appreciated.

Greg