Sign in to follow this  
Kieloben

difficulties in updating FS9.0 to FS9.1

Dear Flight simmers,

I had to install everything at a new (bigger) and clean PC.

By serious reasons I went for Win7 again.

After getting all updates into it, I began to install FS2004

I have the Version 9.0 on the Microsoft-OEM-DVD (no CD-startup needed).

Then (as at the old PC) I run the fs91upd.exe and noticed something strange. 

I had no problems with it, when the software officially got released in 2006 and even downloaded it from microsoft-com itself.

But this time it began to work a few seconds to then show "It hasn't been possible to update flight simmulation to version 9.1"

No error code got shown.

I looked into various discussions at the www and tried to follow their advices.

Yes, I installed the FS2004v9.0 in the default path.

Yes, it also is correctly stated in the registry.

No, there is no backup-folder in the fs9-folder, nor in any of its subfolders.

Yes, I run fs91upd.exe in the very same language version, as the FS2004v9.0 came

Yes, I run the fs91upd.exe from inside the fs9-main-folder

Yes, I did changed the fs9-folder-(and and sub-folder)-properties to "every user has all rights to read, write and change"

Yes, I dod told Mr. kaspersky to let it go without controll, or interferance

and so on, and so on.

Still, the fs91upd.exe doesn't works.

Any ideas?

with very best regards,

Stefan.

And so on.

I have the Version 9.0 on the Microsoft-OEM-DVD (no CD-startup needed).

Did you installed no CD exe before and FS9.1 update after? Because this way it doesn't work.

Dear Goldenrocket,

I have the FS2004v9.0 on DVD.

I do not need any CD to launch the game.

And I do not need any no-CD-patch to have it launching without CD.

It get's completely installed from DVD. Afterwards the DVD gets of the DVD-CD-runner and back into the bookshell und forgotten until I buy another PC.

At least this was the way, it worked the last two times without any difficulties by running the fs91upd.exe

Sincerily,

Stefan.

Buy the way, they (Microsoft) "sold" the DVD-version as a give-away-by-pack included at all Win-XP-Laptops that people bought between X-mas 2003 and summer 2004 within the Europan Economic Area. 

The DVD-Edition was counted at some million numbers.

The CD-Version (demanding a no-CD-patch, or the CD'1 to get launched) was the version that got regulare sold in shops world wide.

Buy the way, they (Microsoft) "sold" the DVD-version as a give-away-by-pack included at all Win-XP-Laptops that people bought between X-mas 2003 and summer 2004 within the Europan Economic Area. 

This is possibly where your problem is.  It seems to me that the DVD was "linked" to your old PC and cannot be installed on a new one.

Dijvid

Did you launch FS2004 and let it build the scenery databases before updating? If so, the DVD version may already be version 9.1.

Dear vector,

the I bought the IBM-laptob with the WinXP back in early 2004 only because of the FS2004-DVD.

It run smoth at that laptop,

It was no problem to run the fs91upd.exe, when it got reliesed in 2006.

The laptop died in 2010 and I installed everything fressh at a PC with Win7 and died not have any difficulties to run the fs91upd.exe

Now I had to swap to a bigger PC to some professional reasons. Everything runs smoth, except the fs91upd.exe.

DearA32xx,

the installation mask forces you to run the FS2004 at least oncem, bevor closing it, to finish the installition by building the scenery database.

Still it had been no problem to run the fs91upd-exe in 2006 and 2010.

In addition to that the version shown in it still is 9.0 until you try to run fs91upd.exe.

One of the fisrt things that update does: it changes the version No. 

After failinng it does not gets changes back to 9.0, thus one has to clean deinstall FS2004 and to clean install it again, before getteing the next chance of running the fs91upd.exe. Otherwise the window "update allraedy got installed" would and will occure.

Independent from the version No. shown in the programm list at "Systemsteuerung/Programme" it easily is to check by several parameters weather or not the version 9.1 really is there.

In FS2004 are some hundred of bridges missing, that had been in FS2002. The updsate to FS9.1 also puts that bridges into FS2004.

If you do know some of those bridges you just have to run the FS2004 to fly to one of those.

One of those some 100 bridges, that tell the different between all add-on-free-versions below 9.1 and the version 9.1 is the "Köhlbrandbrücke" in the harbour of Hamburg. Lift of your aircraft at EDDH (Hamburg Fuhlsbüttel International Airport) and fly to EDHI (Hamburg Finkenwerder Airbus Airport) and you should notice the highest free standing bridge in Germany.

Another issue is the terra mesh. Northern Germany is quite flat. Looking clother at it, it is hilly. The mesh data got better with 9.1. The difference between any none-add-on-version below 9.1 the version 9.1 is easily to tell, if you go slow and low from EDHK to EDHI

And so on, and so on.

The DVD can't put anything into the FS2004 that got released bei Acer/Microsoft two years after the DVD came on the marked, especially, since the DVD does not needs any online-connection to completely install and run the native FS2004v9.0

I do however suspect the fs91upd.exe to download files from teh internet wheile updating the FS90 to FS91.

And I do suspect the links to be dead, after Microsoft closed Acer und sold the rights at the FS.

Sincerily,

Stefan.

With very best regards,

Stefan.

Dear vololiberista,

what is a "unmentionable"?

sincerily,

stefan

Hi Stefan, I did a google search and found this for you:

Update Error Type: 34
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

You may receive the "Update Error Type: 34" error message if there is a registry value that is not valid for the location of the Fs9.exe file. To resolve this error message, correct the EXE Path string value in the registry. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
   2. Locate and then select the following registry key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0
   3. Right-click the EXE Path string value, and then click Modify.
   4. In the Value data box, use one of the following procedures, and then click OK:
          * Type the correct path of the Fs9.exe file. For example, type C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 in the Value data box.
          * Delete the path in the Value data box.
   5. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
   6. Double-click the Fs91upd.exe file to install the update.

Dear A32xx

thank you for your google search, but

1.): you haven't read my problem.

2.): There is no error type stated.

3.): I controlled the path in the registry allready(before I came to register myself here) and it is the correct one.

Sincerily

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Even though the error type is not stated there is clearly an error, and the above solution allows you to re-run the update without having to uninstall and re-install FS2004 again.

Perhaps the update cannot find your FS2004 installation at all?

Try running the Flight1 FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool before running the updater again:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Dear A32xx,

the fresh FS2004v9.0 is, where it is supposed to be and runs flawless after getting launched.

It is just the fs91udp.exe, that doesn't runs flawless.

Yes, obviously there is some error. 

I got myself a fresh fs91upd.exe from flyawaysimmulation and another one from another place, and so on.

I even read carefully through https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/894732 and its (US) English origin https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/894732 what actually is the solution a lot of people already mentioned since 2010 at the web and you have been so kind to also mention here and that do have three issues in common.

This error never hits the DVD-version, only the multiple-CD-version

and

it always shows the error type 32

and

at the DVD-version of the FS2004 the path always (if installed at the default one) is correct written into the registry.

In addition to that, just to be sure, I checked at it, because there is this saying, telling not to be the smartest guy on earth by saying and believing in "never" outside the science of mathematics.

Also I went through the procedure of "registry repair", without getting the fs91upd.exe to do its job.

Thus, may we please jump that kind advice, to go on, to look for another solution?

With thanks,

sincerily,

Stefan.

The patch doesn't download anything from the net. You also stated you installed FS to the default path. Have you run the patch with UAC turned off?

As long as the registry path is correct, the patch should install. Just because you can start FS this doesn't mean the registry path is correct.

Mark Daniels

Dear Skywatcher,

the path-issue is a very smart point.

By experiment I erased the path in the registry and indeed the FS2004 get launched und run as usual.

In addition to that: the fs91upd.exe not downloading anything is kind of nice. I will get the PC offline and shut down Mr. Kaspersky, as I did by installing the default FS2004v9.0 to get it clean and complete.

May be there is a kind of disturbance between Mr. Kaspersky and the fs91upd.exe's work that avoids the update to completely run.

Yet, since I'm not in the IT-business, I don't understand this question of yours: "Have you run the patch with UAC turned off?"

What is an "UAC"?

Sincerily,

Stefan.

Turning off Mr. Kaspersky is wise. You can have the internet on or off for patch install, won't make a difference. UAC really needs to be turned off. You can easily find it by going to the Windows Start button and enter 'UAC' in the search box. Here you will see 'User Account Control settings.'

Click on it and then pull the slider down to 'Never notify.'

Once changed, go to your patch and run it. To be even safer, right click on the patch and select to 'Run as Administrator.'

Install the patch, everything should work if the registry path is correct.

Mark Daniels

Mark, I have also, always, turned down UAC.

Just to recap, My install went as follows..

1. Install FS2004 into my C:\

2. :Praying: Ran it.

3. Installed the update

4. :Praying: Ran it.

5. Pasted the 9.1 unmentionable exe into FS2004's directory

6. Deleted the existing desktop shortcut, & made a new one for the 9.1 exe (dunno why I did this!)

7. :Praying:  Ran it.

8. Phew,  :Cuppa: coffee time!

:p0504: 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...