Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Best virus Checker for P3D

Bit Defender IS 2017. No issues with it running alongside P3D. Recently rated top in a PC Magazine test too. As Jim says, they all do much the same job and none of the major ones are truly bad anymore when it comes to protection or use of PC resources.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Microsoft Security Essential for some years now and  happy with it. A checker is not enough, real time protection is better. I wouldn't go a single minute to the internet without one.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

What is "best" for the OS is not necessarily "best" for any version of a flight simulator.  The newer versions of antivirus/antimalware software can play havoc with fs add ons.

I used the free MSE for years with Win7 and, having made the change to Win10, use it (now Windows Defender) as it's part of the OS.

Any fs folder should be excluded from scans and any real time protection should be turned off for downloads and installations.

Best,

Jim Harnes 

What many don't realize is that some of the AV programs that are highly touted, are very intrusive on performance, and especially for gamers, can slow you performance down to a crawl. I can remember when going from one AV to another seeing FPS increase by sometimes 20%. Having tried more than a few AV's over the years, the best performance I have see, as I already mentioned is Webroot. If performance isn't an issue, than you can try the highly rated ones, but don't be surprised if you see a performance drop. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just an update.  I ended up buying Webroot and so far am very pleased with it.  Thanks for all of your help and good suggestions.

Whether an antivirus software is free or not has almost no correlation with its quality. We can find plenty of good reasons to choose a free antivirus software's, and plenty of good reasons to go with a paid antivirus software's. Free antivirus software has one main advantage - its PRICE. The free programs typically offer the basics, such as a simple search and destroy of malware. This is also its limitation too, as the free version usually only protects your system from viruses, and does not offer the comprehensive protection you may require. As you progress through the different types of protection, more advanced features can be added on. Moreover, one of the biggest drawbacks to going with a free antivirus software is the lack of technical support.

Avast (free edition) it's all in how you set it up during install process. Be sure and only install the AV file shield, Behavior shield, Mail shield and Web shield nothing else.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3296/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/RTX 4060ti/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU

I've had some issues with BitDefender (primarily me / user issues), but it has claimed to protect me a couple times the last year.  I did not have  stolen credit card issue like years past with it (who knows how they got it as I have several computers).

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

On 11/14/2016 at 9:17 AM, Bobsk8 said:

What many don't realize is that some of the AV programs that are highly touted, are very intrusive on performance, and especially for gamers, can slow you performance down to a crawl. I can remember when going from one AV to another seeing FPS increase by sometimes 20%. Having tried more than a few AV's over the years, the best performance I have see, as I already mentioned is Webroot. If performance isn't an issue, than you can try the highly rated ones, but don't be surprised if you see a performance drop. 

Bob, which flavor of Webroot are you using? I got a trial for the Plus, later in their forums I saw a link to a "Gamer" version and it's not even listed in their version comparison chart nor on the main Product page.

Inquiring minds wish to know. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

1 hour ago, jimcarrel said:

Bob, which flavor of Webroot are you using? I got a trial for the Plus, later in their forums I saw a link to a "Gamer" version and it's not even listed in their version comparison chart nor on the main Product page.

Inquiring minds wish to know. 

The $29 version. Secure anywhere. https://www.webroot.com/us/en/home

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, Mitch24 said:

Malwarebytes. Simple and Effective. 

And it isn't an anti virus. It is to clean Malware off your PC after it has been infected, and it doesn't always work. 

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

And it isn't an anti virus. It is to clean Malware off your PC after it has been infected, and it doesn't always work. 

I don't know what world you are living in, but it is an anti-virus. Malware=viruses. Malwarebytes has real-time protection against it. And Malwarebytes has probably one of the best defenses against Malware there is. 

On 11/14/2016 at 7:17 AM, Bobsk8 said:

That is because most gamers will tell you or highly recommend one to shut off any AV while gaming. Not doing so will drop you PC performance even if it's set to exempt the game folder you choose.

Win10Pro 22H2-19045.4123/IntelCorei7-3770K/GigabyteGA-Z68XP-UD3/32GBGSkillCL7-8-8-24/AsusRTX2070OC8GB/1TBCrucialMX500SSD/2 TB PNY CS900/(x3)1TBRAWMushkinSSDs/LGBlueRayBurner/RosewillChallengerTowerBlack/CorsairRM750wPSU/X56HOTAS/TtesportsCommanderKeyboardMousecombo/TrackIR5Pro/34inUltraWideScreenLG2560x1080p/TM2xMFDCougar/OculusQuest2/InateckKU5211PCIe3.2/LTERIVERPCIeG2S4/TMobileHomeInternet5G

MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US/Windows 11 Home 22H2 22631.3296/i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/RTX 4060ti/32GB DDR5 5600mhz/650w Gold PSU