Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

NTDLL CTD's Fixed in Latest Version of P3D!

Hopefully this will help others who might experience CTD's with the latest version of P3D.  I had a successful flight from KLAX to KSFO yesterday with the PMDG 737, AS16 weather, ProATC-X, and flying over Orbx/FTX Southern California.  I had disabled Orbx's ObjectFlow for P3D as it still required an update for the latest version of P3D.  Last night though, when opening P3D, I got a message that ObjectFlow had been updated and I allowed the update.  Restarted P3D and no problems when I tried the same scenario from KLAX to KSFO.  However I had to shutdown the sim early as I had AVSIM office work to do and did not try again until today.

Today, I loaded the PMDG 737 at KLAX to try the above scenerio again.  The aircraft loaded but it stopped before completely loading KLAX.  I disabled AS16 weather and ProATC-X and tried again.  Still received the crash in the same location.  Looking at my AppCrashView report, it stated the faulting module was the NTDLL.dll.  Since I had just updated the ObjectFlow.dll, I decided to disable that in the dll.xml for P3D.  This time total success and I was able to fly the flight successfully with AS16 and ProATC-X enabled.  So it is a buggy Objectflow.dll for P3D which is the issue.  I'll keep it disabled until I know for certain it has been fixed.

Hope this helps others.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

I've spent a lot of time chasing ntdll.dll CTDs, which is why I posted this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/497796-an-interesting-comment-regarding-ooms-ntdlldll-ctds-and-headroom/

The guy behind FSDT, Umberto Colapicchioni believes that the ntdll.dll CTD is related to VAS becoming fragmented as the sim runs for a certain amount of time. Eventually, the sim tries to allocate a memory block that is larger than the largest contiguous block of the depleted VAS. The sim CTDs even before it can display its OOM dialog box. Most often the error code is related to heap corruption. Thus, the free VAS that is displayed in sim by FSUIPC can be very misleading. I have seen P3d CTD with almost 1 GB of VAS left. Sometimes it can run with only a few hundred MB of VAS free.

I have had the same type of immediate ntdll.dll CTD as you describe above by just loading a complex aircraft at the San Jose, CA airport with ORBX SCA loaded. It's a question of way too many addons reducing the VAS headroom to dangerous levels.

Jay

Hi,

thanks, did you report this to the ORBX crew?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The guy behind FSDT, Umberto Colapicchioni believes that the ntdll.dll CTD is related to VAS becoming fragmented as the sim runs for a certain amount of time. Eventually, the sim tries to allocate a memory block that is larger than the largest contiguous block of the depleted VAS.

This may be true for long flights but my sim was still loading to the airport when my CTD occurred.  Whenever I have seen an NTDLL.dll as the faulting module, it has mostly been a module located in the dll.xml being corrupted or incompatible (and I have seen a lot of them in the AVSIM CTD Forum).  Although I have the deepest respect for Umberto, I do not believe the ntdll.dll error is related to VAS becoming fragmented.  My virtual address space gains space as I fly depending on the scenario.  For instance, today, I had less than 1GB of VAS at the beginning of the flight but, by the end of the flight I had way over 1GB.  Sometimes I have over 2GB's.  We rarely had these VAS issues when we had the older processors and video cards when Windows 7 was first released.  That is because we were forced to keep our settings low to maintain good FPS.  Now we get great FPS so people rachet up the sim and video card sliders and that requires more VAS and resources.

thanks, did you report this to the ORBX crew?

I looked at their forums to see if it had been reported yet but have not had time to post anything there.  I will try to post something tomorrow.  Taking care of AVSIM members first!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hmmm...contiguous VAS is an interesting thing.  I wonder if it might be related to virtual memory size.  I have mine set very large on a SSD. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Got my first ever crash in P3D V3.4 today. Check of the event log and sure enough its the NTDLL. I only have FTX Global however yesterday I did get an update for ObjectFlow....I wonder if that could be it...

I had 1.4GB of VAS free at the time of crash (or at least thats what FSUIPC said)

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Hopefully you will disable it from loading in the dll.xml and see if that fixes the problem.  It did for me.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim.  What exactly does ObjectFlow do given I don't use ORBX sceneries? I use FTX Global but my understanding is thats just a texture replacement.

Or do other developers use Objectflow as well?

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Hopefully this will help others who might experience CTD's with the latest version of P3D.  I had a successful flight from KLAX to KSFO yesterday with the PMDG 737, AS16 weather, ProATC-X, and flying over Orbx/FTX Southern California.  I had disabled Orbx's ObjectFlow for P3D as it still required an update for the latest version of P3D.  Last night though, when opening P3D, I got a message that ObjectFlow had been updated and I allowed the update.  Restarted P3D and no problems when I tried the same scenario from KLAX to KSFO.  However I had to shutdown the sim early as I had AVSIM office work to do and did not try again until today.

Today, I loaded the PMDG 737 at KLAX to try the above scenerio again.  The aircraft loaded but it stopped before completely loading KLAX.  I disabled AS16 weather and ProATC-X and tried again.  Still received the crash in the same location.  Looking at my AppCrashView report, it stated the faulting module was the NTDLL.dll.  Since I had just updated the ObjectFlow.dll, I decided to disable that in the dll.xml for P3D.  This time total success and I was able to fly the flight successfully with AS16 and ProATC-X enabled.  So it is a buggy Objectflow.dll for P3D which is the issue.  I'll keep it disabled until I know for certain it has been fixed.

Hope this helps others.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi, could you confirm if this NTDLL.dll crash occurs with the newest P3Dv3.4.14 and not with the previous P3Dv3.4.9?. I was about to make the move to the latest v3.4.14, but since I'm not getting any CTDs, I'm thinking to stay with v3.4.9, at least until this issue is cleared out.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Eventually, the sim tries to allocate a memory block that is larger than the largest contiguous block of the depleted VAS. The sim CTDs even before it can display its OOM dialog box. Most often the error code is related to heap corruption. Thus, the free VAS that is displayed in sim by FSUIPC can be very misleading. I have seen P3d CTD with almost 1 GB of VAS left.

This is a very interesting explanation. I've had this happen too and immediately checked VAS and it was within limits.

Thanks for passing this info along, Jay.

Exactly how do you disable this ?

I just got my first crash and sure enough its the NTDLL.dll..

P3D 3.4

Hi, could you confirm if this NTDLL.dll crash occurs with the newest P3Dv3.4.14 and not with the previous P3Dv3.4.9?. I was about to make the move to the latest v3.4.14, but since I'm not getting any CTDs, I'm thinking to stay with v3.4.9, at least until this issue is cleared out.

Cheers, Ed

I can confirm that Ed.  But, anytime P3D is upgraded, certain add-ons have to upgraded too, including the ObjectFlow.dll for P3D.  FSDT and AS16 software required upgrading too.  It's part of the process of fixing bugs and upgrading in software.  I am positive the Orbx ObjectFlow.dll will be made fully compatible with P3D.  It really is not required for Orbx/FTX scenery to work so not a major loss to Orbx/FTX users.  My objective is complete:  to let others know, if they get the NTDLL.dll and they upgraded to the latest version of P3D, it is most likely the ObjectFlow.dll for P3D entry in the dll.xml.  The solution is to disable it until it finally becomes fully compatible.

This is a very interesting explanation. I've had this happen too and immediately checked VAS and it was within limits.

Please do not turn this into a VAS topic as my OP has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with an OOM or lack of VAS.

Exactly how do you disable this ?

I just got my first crash and sure enough its the NTDLL.dll..

P3D 3.4

Open up your dll.xml using notepad (located in the same folder as your P3D scenery.cfg).  Look for the following entry.  Change the line in Bold from False to True:

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>ObjectFlow</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>  Change False to True

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>K:\Prepar3D_v3\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

Save it and go fly.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I can confirm that Ed. But, anytime P3D is upgraded, certain add-ons have to upgraded too, including the ObjectFlow.dll for P3D. FSDT and AS16 software required upgrading too. It's part of the process of fixing bugs and upgrading in software. I am positive the Orbx ObjectFlow.dll will be made fully compatible with P3D. It really is not required for Orbx/FTX scenery to work so not a major loss to Orbx/FTX users. My objective is complete: to let others know, if they get the NTDLL.dll and they upgraded to the latest version of P3D, it is most likely the ObjectFlow.dll for P3D entry in the dll.xml. The solution is to disable it until it finally becomes fully compatible.

Hi, Jim, thanks for the explanation. ORBX released the new ObjectFlow.dll days ago, supposedly compatible with the newest P3Dv3.4.14 and I've updated it when I was asked to do it, upon running P3D. It seems, because of the crashes, that for some reason the update is buggy. Are you going to post this at the ORBX forums? I haven't seen anything related to this at their forums yet.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I crashed because of this for the first time today and I don't have ORBX... FYI

I do have AS2016 and the PMDG737 - 777

I crashed because of this for the first time today and I don't have ORBX... FYI

I do have AS2016 and the PMDG737 - 777

Hi, Eric. Which version of P3Dv3.4 are you running?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed