Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

I find it interesting...

that out of over 1000 entries in the Demographic survey that this question "If you do purchase your simming products online, which of these is most important in your consideration to purchase (other than the quality of the product itself)?" less than 5.5% of the respondants were concerned about security measures taken by commercial vendors. I am surprised because of the apparent "heat" of the subject in these forums. Not wanting to start a flame war here (and please don't), but the numbers appear to say that there are more important considerations; price, reputation, and customer service (in that order). So, is the subject of security methods really a non-issue for the majority of flight simmers? It appears so. And of even more interest to me is that concern about the refund policies of vendors was even a lesser issue with respondants than that of security (so far). So, the two "hot button" issues in the past appear to be non-issues as far as we can tell.

Hi Tom,You have to realise that you asked only for ONE aspect, the most important one. Maybe if you asked to rank 2 or 3 aspects, the security issue may be on a 2nd or 3rd place.Personally, I don't care what security measure is taken, as long as it is convenient to use (like Flight1's)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest Toni Rauch

I'm not surprised at all...I reckon the majority of simmers are supportive of security as the vast majority hate piracy as much as the vendors do.It's only when these security measures don't work as they should (especially on downloaded software), and/or they get a lack of support from the developers that they 'complain' here on the forums.I guess that if you pay for something, you expect it to work 'right out the box', and relying on fellow simmers for setup/activation help is frustrating.Protection is one thing, but some software security measures seem far too complicated sometimes...... That's when the threads start.Toni.

Fair enough. Okay, construct a poll that you think would truly answer the questions having to do with the priorities in purchasing a product, and send it to me in email. I will be happy to review it and possibly put it online as an expansion to that very question in the demographic survey as a stand alone survey of its own.

Toni, I can't disagree with any of that, but to listen to some of the posts in this forum about security and refunds, you would have thought they were to the two most important issues in determining whether to purchase or not. I appears that they are not the primary concern that those posts would have led you too believe.

Guest RonB49

I answered that customer service was most important to me and I pondered the question for a while before answering. I don't care how stringent the security or even if a return policy exists, as long as the company will stand behind their product and help me through ANY difficulties I my encounter. So, "customer service" got my vote. R-

Guest Rockcliffe

Personally, I think that "reputation" covers it all. When there are beefs on the forums about a company's refund policy, security measures, quality, ease of use, all these things affect a company's reputation.So far, my online purchases have been limited to reputable firms that are highly regarded by simmers -- Dreamfleet, PMDG, Carenado, Activesky, Flight1, etc. -- and I have never had any problems.Complaints about a company are enough to make me steer clear.BlairCYOW

>Toni, I can't disagree with any of that, but to listen to>some of the posts in this forum about security and refunds,>you would have thought they were to the two most important>issues in determining whether to purchase or not. I appears>that they are not the primary concern that those posts would>have led you too believe.He who shouts loudest doesn't always reflect the majority opinion.

Guest midibyte

I see it this way. Just because a few forum posters go on a rant about security doesn't mean that the majority feel that security is a major concern. Especially not at the top of the list, since we could pick only one. I mean, how many posters participated in the discussion about security? Ten maybe, even 20 or so? Hardly the majority of people that visit this forum. Scott

Exactly and I am pleased to say that the survey, so far, has put that into context for all to ponder the next time a "rant" breaks out. :)